Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Never mind, ibs. Just...never mind.
    oh.. ok...
    :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Well I usually walk through the door and if someone is behind me I hold it open for them. What I am more annoyed about is lack of manners when doing this, most people say thank you or nod in acknowledgement but the odd few are rude and just walk through. It also annoys me when you are walking through a door behind someone and they allow it to slam in your face instead of holding it open for you when they've gone through. I usually do have manners and allow others to go first though such as on a bus or if we walk across each other or through a shop door regardless of their gender, unless I am in a real rush. I don't stop walking through a door though to allow a girl past, if they're behind me I'll just hold the door open once I've walked through, same thing I do for guys, also if there's someone coming through the other side of the door I'll stop and let them through. It's just manners really and the only times I don't do it is when I am really in a rush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    I think it's gentlemanly but it's sexist for a woman to expect a man to pay for her.
    I was about to say basically this.

It's not sexist to do it, it's nice and good manners.

If a girls expects this however, and thinks she deserves to be treated specially, that's quite sexist

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a single woman - let alone person - who can't open a door for themselves.
    However, it's polite and especially good social etiquette to do so, so I see nothing wrong with it.

If I happened to have the misfortune of holding the door open for a radical feminist... well, let's just say I'd have to resist the urge to slam it in her face

ReputationRep:
    It'd be more entertaining if he was a die hard fan. The chances of that happening are incredibly slim, though.
    I tell you what.. if it's subtitled then I'll be watching! I'll let you know X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    oh.. ok...
    :shifty:
    If it's any consolation, that .gif is awesome. The way that guy swings his left arm behind his head to piss off the one next to him is genius.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i dont think it's sexist at all. in fact i bloody welcome it so bring it on
    i would do the same for a guy too, as well as for myself.

(Original post by Krisjustreadin)
    Sexist is refusing to get into your taxi because the driver is female, not holding a dor open for a woman.

tbf I think you should hold the door for me too
    Sexist is opening the door for a woman and leaving the door to close for the man behind to open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rufus_Doofus*)
    I tell you what.. if it's subtitled then I'll be watching! I'll let you know X
    Now, that's dedication. I'll be waiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    If I happened to have the misfortune of holding the door open for a radical feminist... well, let's just say I'd have to resist the urge to slam it in her face
    XD

That i agree with.

Although i like to show good manners to everyone my mum and gran always told me to do the things like pulling out chairs for ladies. Now if it's cold or raining i'll usually give my jacket or brolly to a girl if i'm with one.

I think it's only a minority of people who seem to think there's something wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only women offended by gestures like holding doors open would be the hardcore feminist types. Besides, most of these things are just good manners that you should really do for other men as well.

ReputationRep:
    Now, that's dedication. I'll be waiting.
    No such luck I'm afraid looks like i'll have to start on gossip girl or something!! X

ReputationRep:
    No such luck I'm afraid looks like i'll have to start on gossip girl or something!! X
    A good idea. I would have felt guilty if you were watching a terrible drama on my behalf.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends hates when guys do this for her, of course she's not the norm and well eccentric. I always do that it was how I was raised. Other than my friend most people don't mind it at all. Though alot of extreme feminists dont like it.

ReputationRep:
    F'course it does, girls don't want a gentleman, they want hardman.

ReputationRep:
    A good idea. I would have felt guilty if you were watching a terrible drama on my behalf.
    No need to feel guilty. fantastic dramas or terrible dramas... I've got 8 weeks to kill x

ReputationRep:
    It's called manners. I do exactly the same for people regardless of their gender, it's nice to be polite.

ReputationRep:
    No need to feel guilty. fantastic dramas or terrible dramas... I've got 8 weeks to kill x
    Enjoy while it lasts.

ReputationRep:
    I think chivalry is quite sweet.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy while it lasts.
    whhhhhhhyyyyyy?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.