Turn on thread page Beta

Pierced tongue years ago - infection/flu watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

So basically I've had my tongue pierced for about 2 years and in the last few days I've noticed a lumpish-type thing. Its not really visible, more of a growth in the tongue rather than a spot growing on the surface. As far as I can tell, it is just to the side of the piercing - not directly on it and it has caused the right side of my tongue to swell up. Its painful when I talk and eat. I've been taking Ibuprofen and using Listerine but this hasn't reduced the swelling - it has only lessened the pain slightly for a few hours and made it possible to eat soft food.

Also, on the same day that my tongue problem started, someone in my house caught the flu and although they are taking Tamiflu, I've shown some of the symptoms of flu too. I've been coughing alot, sneezing and feel very weak/tired generally during the day. I haven't got a high temperature so I'm not really sure whether I actually have the flu or if its related to my tongue swelling.

Tomorrow I'm going to a piercer to get them to look at the swelling and let me know whether I need to remove the stud or not.

This post is long sorry, just want to know if anyone with a tongue piercing has had random swelling like this and if it has gone away by itself after a while?

ReputationRep:
    See GP + Gargle salllt*****err...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxJazxx)
    Hi!

So basically I've had my tongue pierced for about 2 years and in the last few days I've noticed a lumpish-type thing. Its not really visible, more of a growth in the tongue rather than a spot growing on the surface. As far as I can tell, it is just to the side of the piercing - not directly on it and it has caused the right side of my tongue to swell up. Its painful when I talk and eat. I've been taking Ibuprofen and using Listerine but this hasn't reduced the swelling - it has only lessened the pain slightly for a few hours and made it possible to eat soft food.

Also, on the same day that my tongue problem started, someone in my house caught the flu and although they are taking Tamiflu, I've shown some of the symptoms of flu too. I've been coughing alot, sneezing and feel very weak/tired generally during the day. I haven't got a high temperature so I'm not really sure whether I actually have the flu or if its related to my tongue swelling.

Tomorrow I'm going to a piercer to get them to look at the swelling and let me know whether I need to remove the stud or not.

This post is long sorry, just want to know if anyone with a tongue piercing has had random swelling like this and if it has gone away by itself after a while?
    If you think you might have flu, don't leave the house... call them.

ReputationRep:
    heyyy....
    i had my tongue pierced for a fair while and never experienced this.... sounds like an infectionnnn... get professional advice and go from there
    hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    If you think you might have flu, don't leave the house... call them.
    I called the piercer today and she said I would need to come in so that she could see the position of the lump/extent of the swelling. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hula129)
    heyyy....
    i had my tongue pierced for a fair while and never experienced this.... sounds like an infectionnnn... get professional advice and go from there
    hope you feel better soon
    Hmm I'm not sure. I've heard that an infection inside the mouth always causes really bad breath and a bad taste that can't really be ignored.. I don't have that! But if its not an infection then what is it Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've had stiffening around the bar of my tongue piercing twice, both times for about 3-4 days.
    It was painful to eat and 'play' with the bar.
    Dunno what caused it, I wasn't ill at either time.

But there was no lump, so you should get it checked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxJazxx)
    I called the piercer today and she said I would need to come in so that she could see the position of the lump/extent of the swelling. =/
    Call NHS direct. Maybe gargle some watered-down TCP too.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a bit like some scarring has formed. Only ever had experience of it on outer piercings not on something like a tongue, so can't really suggest anything. Maybe have a google of tongue piercicng scarring? I think you're doing the right thing getting in touch with your piercer though.
    Methinks that the Doc's or NHS direct will tell you to take the piercing out regardless of whether or not yoou need to..

ReputationRep:
    No matter what you do, don't remove the stud, because if there is an infection, the hole could heal over, trapping millions of bacteria inside your tongue - needless to say, NOT pleasant!

I think that you need to go and see the doctor. They will be able to take a swab of the piercing, do a culture and tell you if it is infected, and if it is they will give you antibiotics which will clear up the infection. You can also ask them about the flu symptoms at the same time.

Don't self diagnose or get people on here to make decisions for you though, see the doctor!

ReputationRep:
    this happened to me....i have the flu and was sick and the next morning my toungue swelled up and had lumps and ulsas (sp?) have you been sick at all it may be because the bar gets pushed up and rubs on it. also i put bonjela all over it it stings at first but isnt sore and i can eat normallty again. hope this helped

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.