Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Love vs. Career Watch

• View Poll Results: Which scenario would you choose?
    I would choose the 'Love' scenario
    58.86%
    I would choose the 'Career' scenario
    41.14%

ReputationRep:
    READ THE SCENARIOS (BELOW) BEFORE YOU VOTE!

Love
    You have to live in a council flat and on the doll (or a very low skilled job) for the rest of your life, in quite modest/working class circumstances. HOWEVER, you are with the absolute love of your life (the kind of person you can only dream about), the sex is great EVERY time and you stay together until death.

Career
    You are propelled to the absolute top of your desired profession. You earn vast amounts of money and receive high prestige (likely to receive a knighthood or a peerage as you progress). HOWEVER, you are disallowed ANY loving relationship and cannot fall in love with anyone. You are limited to one night stands.

Note: Don't try and edit the premise. Perhaps with the career scenario, some celestial being uses a form of supernatural power to physically prevent you from being in a loving relationship, same with gaining a better career/lifestyle in the love scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Career all the way. My education and future job are the most important thing in my life.

ReputationRep:
    The true happiness / pleasure I would get from love would be greater than that of career. I try and maximise happiness / pleasure / benefit / "love" in my life. Hence I select love.

ReputationRep:
    oops! i've voted career before i read the scenario! it's like choosing between syphilis and chlamydia! loool

ReputationRep:
    Love, bro. :love:

ReputationRep:
    loveeee

ReputationRep:
    Love.

ReputationRep:
    Career, I've got along fine without love so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Career all the way. My education and future job are the most important thing in my life.
    So, you meet a girl and she is utterly stunning and her personality is both intriguing and everything you desire in a woman. You take her home and the sex is incredible. You get that tingly sensation as you realise that you loved her the moment you first set eyes on her, and she feels the same way - the sex and getting to know her has confirmed this. All of a sudden, a beam of light covers the room and she disappears, being teleported to her own bedroom. You attempt to call her, but the line mysteriously cuts. You rush to her house, yet an invisible force field prevents you from getting any closer. Suddenly, she walks out of her front door, and behind the force field you shout her name. She responds with 'do I know you?'. Her memory has been wiped.

You remember that you picked a career over potential love, and carry on with your life thinking how happy you could have been together, in a loving relationship.

:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamcock)
    oops! i've voted career before i read the scenario!
    How the heck did you miss my title and the fact that the options said 'scenario'?

ReputationRep:
    Career definitely, even without the one night stands, and even if I was severely depressed and on the verge of suicide. True love is an elaborate myth, and tbh romantic love is such a cheap, banal concept, I dont know why it's held in such high regard, there are much greater things than love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    So, you meet a girl and she is utterly stunning and her personality is both intriguing and everything you desire in a woman. You take her home and the sex is incredible. You get that tingly sensation as you realise that you loved her the moment you first set eyes on her, and she feels the same way - the sex and getting to know her has confirmed this. All of a sudden, a beam of light covers the room and she disappears, being teleported to her own bedroom. You attempt to call her, but the line mysteriously cuts. You rush to her house, yet an invisible force field prevents you from getting any closer. Suddenly, she walks out of her front door, and behind the force field you shout her name. She responds with 'do I know you?'. Her memory has been wiped.

You remember that you picked a career over potential love, and carry on with your life thinking how happy you could have been together, in a loving relationship.

http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...lies/teeth.gif
    I'd far rather be a top of my game surgeon who's transformed the face of surgery forever more and is studied by generations of medical students to come and has accolades galore

But this is all in the realms of fantasy. In real life, obviously I want to have both love and a decent career, but if you're going to make me choose...

Basically: I'm a nerd :emo:

:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Career definitely, even without the one night stands, and even if I was severely depressed and on the verge of suicide. True love is an elaborate myth, and tbh romantic love is such a cheap, banal concept, I dont know why it's held in such high regard, there are much greater things than love.
    Uh oh, folks. We've got one of those people desperate to point out how deep they are by disagreeing with a widely known concept.

ReputationRep:

Career
    You are propelled to the absolute top of your desired profession. You earn vast amounts of money and receive high prestige (likely to receive a knighthood or a peerage as you progress). HOWEVER, you are disallowed ANY loving relationship and cannot fall in love with anyone. You are limited to one night stands.

I am choosing career and I know you would too.

:teeth:
    What? is this some eternal sunshine of the spotless mind tribute? :p:

ReputationRep:

Love
    You have to live in a council flat and on the doll (or a very low skilled job) for the rest of your life, in quite modest/working class circumstances. HOWEVER, you are with the absolute love of your life (the kind of person you can only dream about), the sex is great EVERY time and you stay together until death.

Career

Note: Don't try and edit the premise. Perhaps with the career scenario, some celestial being uses a form of supernatural power to physically prevent you from being in a loving relationship, same with gaining a better career/lifestyle in the love scenario.
    It's not so easy getting a council flat/house now, what with right-to-buy, an apparent influx of teenage pregnancies, and the general sloppiness of some of our councils.

Had there not been that little bit of stability in that scenario, I might've opted for the career path.

ReputationRep:

Love

Career

I'd still pick my career. Although I want to fall in love I feel like as my career involves a greater investment of my time and effort, as well as money and determination to get there. Whereas love, although great and amazing, doesn't usually last forever (1 in 3 marriages end in divorce) so I know in your post you changed these circumstances slightly, I'd still pick career. I'd be happier knowing I'd made something of myself (not to say others who don't have a high-flying career don't, but it's what I personally want for myself

ReputationRep:
    I don't wanna live in a council flat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow-Dream)
    Whereas love, although great and amazing, doesn't usually last forever (1 in 3 marriages end in divorce)
    It does in this scenario.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eradicus)
    I am choosing career and I know you would too.
    How do you 'know'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    Uh oh, folks. We've got one of those people desperate to point out how deep they are by disagreeing with a widely known concept.
    I have my justifications.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.