Turn on thread page Beta

Love vs. Career watch

• View Poll Results: Which scenario would you choose?
    I would choose the 'Love' scenario
    58.86%
    I would choose the 'Career' scenario
    41.14%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    How do you 'know'?
    As a Thatcherite it's almost a prerequisite

ReputationRep:
    Love every time.
    I'm actually surprised at how many people would choose career. I just wouldn't feel happy like that.
    Still, each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    Career all the way!

I'd still take career if I was disallowed the one night stands and had to remain celibate - it's not like I couldn't fap, is it?

Careers rule!!!

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eradicus)
    As a Thatcherite it's almost a prerequisite
    Then, it seems that I am a discrepancy in regards to your abstract generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    Career Love can wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    Career Love can wait.
    Well, no it can't - not in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Easy question. Career all the way.

ReputationRep:
    Well, no it can't - not in this case.
    If it couldnt wait then I would give it upI dont believe that people so young can trully understand love untill they have learnt to live and gained life experience and I dont believe in love at the moment so career all the way you can have love but it wont pay the bills.

ReputationRep:
    READ THE SCENARIOS (BELOW) BEFORE YOU VOTE!

Love
    You have to live in a council flat and on the doll (or a very low skilled job) for the rest of your life, in quite modest/working class circumstances. HOWEVER, you are with the absolute love of your life (the kind of person you can only dream about), the sex is great EVERY time and you stay together until death.

Career
    You are propelled to the absolute top of your desired profession. You earn vast amounts of money and receive high prestige (likely to receive a knighthood or a peerage as you progress). HOWEVER, you are disallowed ANY loving relationship and cannot fall in love with anyone. You are limited to one night stands.

Note: Don't try and edit the premise. Perhaps with the career scenario, some celestial being uses a form of supernatural power to physically prevent you from being in a loving relationship, same with gaining a better career/lifestyle in the love scenario.

Er with the love one, the girl i dream about is intelligent and independent and good with her career, so what then? I will choose love knowing ill still have money which a career is all about, as she will share :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's quite a hard choice, but at the end of the day if you've got no one to go back home to then what's the point? Love

ReputationRep:
    I chose career, because I don't plan on ever falling in love again anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose love in that scenario but I don't believe it's a very relevant scenario. I think love that lasts forever is incredibly rare. Put in a realistic situation I'd concentrate on the career.

ReputationRep:
    Career,Career,Career ...I am use to not being loved so CAREER.

ReputationRep:
    Love.

ReputationRep:
    Career

ReputationRep:
    oh come on love is just a bunch of chemical reactions that eventually fade away, lovers betray you all the time while your career wont, and how can you compare the satisfaction one gets from 'love' to the satisfaction you get from personal achivements ?!? take a pill and you love anyone
    and the thing is most girls would choose love but most guys are gonna choose career, so really in reality dont bet your life on a guy's love, even if you dont care living in *********, think about your children!

ReputationRep:
    Career. Meh, I want money, and I could still have kids and bring them up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Love.

I grew up in a working class family (Dad retired, Mom a healthcare assistant at the local hospital) (although we did live in a larger house).

I know what it means to live on a modest income, so I'd definitely choose the love.

Also, I have told my boyfriend that if he works so hard on his career that I don't see him, I will split up with him anyway! Having a career without the time and love to make it worthwhile...

Yes, I enjoy my education and I intend to have a good job, but I would give it all up for the perfect relationship.

If any of that made sense, I am actually quite proud of myself!

ReputationRep:
    Love all the way. You don't need much money to be happy, and the option had said 'modest living' which is good enough for me (we survived fine before) Life is all about the people I have around me and definitely not about my career and its earnings... When I die, I wouldn't want my bank accounts around me, let's just say that :P

I am surprised at the number of 'career-choosers though, especially in the scenarios given.

ReputationRep:
    I want it both!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.