Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Love vs. Career Watch

• View Poll Results: Which scenario would you choose?
    I would choose the 'Love' scenario
    58.86%
    I would choose the 'Career' scenario
    41.14%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    not at all. he is more than his job/degree. i wa just saying that in your scneario in which I was piss-poor and a prole with no job prospects, that he better be the one earning enough money for the both of us :ahee:
    i'm not gonna lie, him being a medic is kinda :coma:

also, there is no guarantee of anything in life, and that includes career. so you saying love wont work is crazy cos your job is equally as unstable really.
    depends if you do something stupid and get yourself fired, also the probability of getting divored is far superior to that of getting fired
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    depends if you do something stupid and get yourself fired, also the probability of getting divored is far superior to that of getting fired
    tehre are more reasons than doing something stupid to get you fired. it might not be your fault; the company might go bust, they might to make cutbacks, might demote you, or make you redundant, especially in this economic climate.
    also, who sayed i was getting married :fyi: i prefer lifelong cohabitation to marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Career. council flat all my life not going anywhere would drive me to distraction.

ReputationRep:
    tehre are more reasons than doing something stupid to get you fired. it might not be your fault; the company might go bust, they might to make cutbacks, might demote you, or make you redundant, especially in this economic climate.
    also, who sayed i was getting married :fyi: i prefer lifelong cohabitation to marriage.
    well not me since my career path is accountancy, and as you know everybody needs an accountant, from a corner shop, a big firm to a charity organisation, also i meant what if thing goes wrong
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well not me since my career path is accountancy, and as you know everybody needs an accountant, from a corner shop, a big firm to a charity organisation, also i meant what if thing goes wrong
    but my whole entire POINT is that your career is not guaranteed. not ever. nothing in life is guaranteed, so you thinking your career is all hunkydory no matter what is just moronic, becuase nobody has that kind of job security. true, it might all go to plan and you might end up a really happy and successful accountant. but you might not, is all i'm trying to say. and so with the prospect of taking a risk on love, and taking a risk on a career, personally i would choose love.
    and so what? just becuase "everyone needs an accountant", that doesn't mean they will hire YOU to be one of them. it jsut means they will hire one. dont mean its gonna be you they hire :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    but my whole entire POINT is that your career is not guaranteed. not ever. nothing in life is guaranteed, so you thinking your career is all hunkydory no matter what is just moronic, becuase nobody has that kind of job security. true, it might all go to plan and you might end up a really happy and successful accountant. but you might not, is all i'm trying to say. and so with the prospect of taking a risk on love, and taking a risk on a career, personally i would choose love.
    and so what? just becuase "everyone needs an accountant", that doesn't mean they will hire YOU to be one of them. it jsut means they will hire one. dont mean its gonna be you they hire :rolleyes:
    hello,id be going to either bath or bristol, their bound to hire me, i never chose these uni's without a reason, btw you look cute lol

ReputationRep:
    Creep.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Creep.
    lol :afraid:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hello,id be going to either bath or bristol, their bound to hire me, i never chose these uni's without a reason, btw you look cute lol
    I don't think they'd hire someone who can't use grammar properly.

and, uh. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they'd hire someone who can't use grammar properly.

and, uh. thanks.
    hey this a forum, i dont really take grammar seriously, unless its an exam

ReputationRep:
    I think as the posts goes on and on, a lot of people have been twisting and adding other elements to the scenarios, which is what the OP specifically said NOT to do. Just take it as it was simply stated, no need measure against so many things.

Love, because I personally feel life is more fulfilling with someone to share it with.

ReputationRep:
    Career all the way . Sorry but it's got to be the glory. Heck, to be more famous than David Starkey would be brilliant as an historian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    So, you meet a girl and she is utterly stunning and her personality is both intriguing and everything you desire in a woman. You take her home and the sex is incredible. You get that tingly sensation as you realise that you loved her the moment you first set eyes on her, and she feels the same way - the sex and getting to know her has confirmed this. All of a sudden, a beam of light covers the room and she disappears, being teleported to her own bedroom. You attempt to call her, but the line mysteriously cuts. You rush to her house, yet an invisible force field prevents you from getting any closer. Suddenly, she walks out of her front door, and behind the force field you shout her name. She responds with 'do I know you?'. Her memory has been wiped.

You remember that you picked a career over potential love, and carry on with your life thinking how happy you could have been together, in a loving relationship.

:teeth:
    Nice. Love.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this said 'Love vs Cancer'... my sick, sick brain.

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely love. I think that money can make you happy, yes, but love can make you much happier :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    Note: Don't try and edit the premise. Perhaps with the career scenario, some celestial being uses a form of supernatural power to physically prevent you from being in a loving relationship, same with gaining a better career/lifestyle in the love scenario.

The scenario is more realistic than you think. There's a common saying among the wealthy which goes "the only real friends I have are the ones I had before I became rich".

Once you're successful, you'll never again be able to know if a guy/girl loves you or if they're only interested in you because of your success.
    You'll never know for sure if someone actually likes you or if they're faking it.

ReputationRep:
    Love scenario man.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many people who chose 'love' have actually lived on a council estate all of their life so far? :nothing:
    No more council estates for me, career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I wonder how many people who chose 'love' have actually lived on a council estate all of their life so far? http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...es/nothing.gif
    No more council estates for me, career.
    I have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    I have
    So now I'll get a minority of people quoting me. Tally chart: 1.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.