Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Love vs. Career Watch

• View Poll Results: Which scenario would you choose?
    I would choose the 'Love' scenario
    58.86%
    I would choose the 'Career' scenario
    41.14%

ReputationRep:
    Out of those, career. I could not live on a council estate off the dole - it'd be so depressing and I'd feel like a total failure.

If I was picking between a high flying career and loads of money or a pretty standard one with an alright but not amazing income and the love of my life, then the latter scenario would win every time.

ReputationRep:
    Love. Kind of seems like a no brainer to me.

ReputationRep:
    career love only gives pain

ReputationRep:
    Career for defoo. Love, sex etc comes and goes

ReputationRep:
    Love

ReputationRep:
    Any old random call 'fall' in love -in fact the effect can probably be mimicked by certain neuromodulatory drugs nowadays!

Not everyone achieves fame, stardom, real success and recognition in their field.

I'd like people to remember me when I'm gone. Career ftw.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Career obviously! It would be foolish of me to choose love, something that can be lost in an instant. Besides with career comes money, and with money comes the girls :cool:
    This is just a personal choice though, because I'm extremely materialistic and well not really a believer of this BS notion people call 'love' so it'll work for me. When the chips are down, these so called 'lovers' eat eachother like vultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    are they a bit too icky for you?
    I've lived enough of my life in them to not ever want to again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    So now I'll get a minority of people quoting me. Tally chart: 1.
    You asked and I answered, there shouldn't be any problem.

ReputationRep:
    career...i think...

ReputationRep:
    I can't choose! Living in really poor conditions would make me feel I have failed in life, and I can't enjoy the luxuries. But being loveless would be so lonely, since I was younger I always imagine what age I will get married... knowing it wouldn't happen (if I chose a career) would be heartbreaking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    Career, I've got along fine without love so far.
    My sentiments exactly... You can't help but wonder about what you're missing out on, though...

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for career. We are still allowed to have friends right? We don't have to sit at home drinking all the time whilst watching Scrubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I've lived enough of my life in them to not ever want to again...
    Some are not too shabby, though.
    But yeah, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Gawd that's difficult....my first instinct is to say love, I know in the past I've made sacrifices to be with a partner and I don't regret that...after all what good is it to have material possessions if you are lacking that one special person?

ReputationRep:
    Sur cant you find love with some person in your dream job? best of both worlds eh?

Career.

I will be comforted by the knowledge that while i might not have myself, my actions might allow others to feel love more than they did before.

ReputationRep:
    Love, anyday.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy my job and love the people I work with - I'd rather have a really successful career and work with the people I do now, with lots of great friends around me, than stuck on benefits with the one person that I love. I'd get bored too easily.

ReputationRep:
    nobody ever lay on their deathbed cursing themselves for not investing more time in their career
    love is every bit as good as people say it is, it's just hard to find a good dealer

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.