Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there more Scots in London than in Edinburgh? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are there more Scots in London than in Edinburgh?
    Yes
    43.75%
    No
    56.25%

ReputationRep:
    What do you reckon?

Edinburgh is apparently a very 'English' city.

Some say a successful Scot is one who makes it in London.

Both the prime minister and chancellor of Al-UK are from ethnic minority backgrounds - Scots - and they reside firmly in London?

poll attached.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Scots are ethnic minoritys? Cool. Can we claim for that?

But yeah, probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno only been twice and never seen a Scottish person but plenty of stereotype Camden people.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. You'll probably have to send UK National Statistics a little e-mail. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJeebs)
    Scots are ethnic minoritys? Cool. Can we claim for that?

But yeah, probably not.
    Well the population of London is around 8 million.

I read somewhere that there are about 28 million people in the world who consider themselves Scottish and it's only 5 million of them who live in Scotland (Alba).

Why can't Scottish people be considered ethnic minorities? - they are Gaels aren't they? And historically probably faced more oppression from the English than probably any other ethnic grupo on the planet, no?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    u cnt tell the difference between a scot and english!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Well the population of London is around 8 million.

I read somewhere that there are about 28 million people in the world who consider themselves Scottish and it's only 5 million of them who live in Scotland (Alba).

Why can't Scottish people be considered ethnic minorities? - they are Gaels aren't they? And historically probably faced more oppression from the English than probably any other ethnic grupo on the planet, no?

squish.
    Since 1707 surely we have been "Brits" the same as you. Making us former ethnic minorites (I think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    Since 1707 surely we have been "Brits" the same as you. Making us former ethnic minorites (I think)
    Aren't alot of Scots (who are Gaels) Irish by ancestry? How much intermixing was there between the Gaels and the Picts (who live round Fife/Grampian and the northern bits like Sutherland).

But even say African/Caribbean folks born in the UK to parents who were also born in the UK and have British nationality and citizenship are considered by many to be ethnic minorities?

Do you reckon the fact that our PM and chancellor of the exchequer come from ethnic minority backgrounds is a progressive thing?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    See if you type squish one more time, I'm going william wallace on your ass.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't alot of Scots (who are Gaels) Irish by ancestry? How much intermixing was there between the Gaels and the Picts (who live round Fife/Grampian and the northern bits like Sutherland).

But even say African/Caribbean folks born in the UK to parents who were also born in the UK and have British nationality and citizenship are considered by many to be ethnic minorities?

Do you reckon the fact that our PM and chancellor of the exchequer come from ethnic minority backgrounds is a progressive thing?

squish.
    Yes Scotland, as does western parts of England, have a connection of Irish ancestry.

According to national statistics people from Scotland are not included as ethnic minorities otherwise the representation percentage of ethnic minorites in parliament would be a lot higher than it is now.

And judging by the current situation then it probably isn't progressive to have Brown and Darling running the country. Maybe Scotland have sent them on a mission to ruin England while we seperate with the SNP and live happier lives.

ReputationRep:
    The Scots and English are exactly the same, the only difference is that we're told that we 'belong' to a country just because we happen to be born there.

Also, if this poll was truly accurate, only people from Edinburgh would be voting.

To answer the question, no, of course not, there are more Scots in Edinburgh than London.

ReputationRep:
    To say a Scot has 'made it' when he gets to London, given the stupidity of the public there, is a bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a lot of English folk around Aberdeenshire. My Dad was English for one. Anyway I've been to Rochdale/London for interviews recently for seasonal work and Birmingham for a wedding and I can see why the English want to move up here. It's just so crowded and busy. I prefer the slower pace of life in the countryside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    See if you type squish one more time, I'm going william wallace on your ass.
    Lmao. Yey for Ayr :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Lmao. Yey for Ayr :P.
    You could make a joke out of that 'ass' thing - William Wall-ass....geddit?

Is Ayr best known for Prestwick Airport?

Have you been to those special caves nearby? Or the mull of Galloway?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Dont be so daft ofcourse not.

ReputationRep:
    Not really edinburgh is one of the most diverse places in scotland but its populated manily by the scottish. Ive never heard that scots go to london to "make it". I will always stay in scotland its a beautlful place i think lack of sleep is making me too patriotic

ReputationRep:
    You could make a joke out of that 'ass' thing - William Wall-ass....geddit?

Is Ayr best known for Prestwick Airport?

Have you been to those special caves nearby? Or the mull of Galloway?

squish.
    Well, Ayr is famous for it's castles, beach, history, it has one of the largest schools in scotland and one of the oldest, robert burns, fish...but mostly it's history, it being one of the oldest towns in scotland.

Can I ask - why the sudden obession with scottish people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Well, Ayr is famous for it's castles, beach, history, it has one of the largest schools in scotland and one of the oldest, robert burns, fish...but mostly it's history, it being one of the oldest towns in scotland.

Can I ask - why the sudden obession with scottish people?
    Have you been to the Isle of Arran? By looking on a map it seems like a good island to have a rally round, don't you think?

Do you know where Garelochhead is? Have you ever driven all the way to the bottom of the Mull of Kintyre - is there only one road straight down it?

I was just thinking aoout a Scottish woman who I met in London about 3 years ago who was from Paisley which I think is near Glasgow (do some people say Glasgy?).

squish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.