Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Epic Holiday Boredom - Suggestions?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas on things to do?

It's IMPOSSIBLE to get a job around here. I've been to every single place imaginable and begged. Damn credit crunch. My cv's pretty good too. But after 100+ rejections over 3 weeks of solid hunting, i've admitted defeat.

So thats that out the window. I'd rather be bored than do charity work. I'm up for volunteering at companies/bars/pubs/etc for experience but most of them aren't up for it due to tax regulations.

I've got a major lack of money, no car, live quite a distant from any friends who i've kept in touch with since starting uni (not that many). I already gym everyday and see the friends i do know a few times a week.

But it still leaves me with HOURS a week, usually spent on facebook/tsr. Bored out of my mind.

Any genius suggest something productive but enjoyable?

ReputationRep:
    Start a project?
    Watch every single episode of a TV show one after the other (something with like five hundred episodes)
    Learn a new skill? Cooking / Computer Programming / Learn to Juggle? :/ (never been able too )

Count the strands of grass in your back garden..? =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_Kay)
    Start a project?
    Watch every single episode of a TV show one after the other (something with like five hundred episodes)
    Learn a new skill? Cooking / Computer Programming / Learn to Juggle? :/ (never been able too )

Count the strands of grass in your back garden..? =P
    What kind of project ?

Haha well i've seen most of everything to be honest! All of lost/heroes/scrubs/friends/bbciplayer for the past 2 months/familyguy.

Hrmm pretty good at cooking having been at uni. I'm not really interested in computer programming though i used to be pretty good at web coding when i was younger.

Juggling sounds interesting, i've never been able to either! Can probably get a set of balls from poundland too :p:. Not sure i could spend a large portion of time just juggling though !!

Edit: I'm good about counting the strands of grass, though i have volunteered to mow it more than once this holiday which shows the level of boredom!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe learn a language or something like that, something productive that you will enjoy doing.

Or begin to watch the vast amount of good tv shows available on the internet, like start watching Dexter or prison break or something like that, that could keep you entertained during the day.

I am in a similar situation as you cause most of my friends work during the day and only come out at night, so i have been watching a tonne of tv shows on the internet to pass the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt10101)
    Maybe learn a language or something like that, something productive that you will enjoy doing.

Or begin to watch the vast amount of good tv shows available on the internet, like start watching Dexter or prison break or something like that, that could keep you entertained during the day.

I am in a similar situation as you cause most of my friends work during the day and only come out at night, so i have been watching a tonne of tv shows on the internet to pass the time.
    Hrm not sure self teaching a language is a good plan though really? And i couldn't afford/wouldnt want to spend on getting decent stuff to learn it from. But a good idea none the less. I'll think on it.

See above about tv shows. Not a fan of prison break i'm afraid . Or 24 for that matter to the disappointment of a lot of my flat mates last year!

Yeahh i think quite a few people will be. Unfortunatly i can't seem to solve the predicament which is slowly killing me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Hrm not sure self teaching a language is a good plan though really? And i couldn't afford/wouldnt want to spend on getting decent stuff to learn it from. But a good idea none the less. I'll think on it.

See above about tv shows. Not a fan of prison break i'm afraid . Or 24 for that matter to the disappointment of a lot of my flat mates last year!

Yeahh i think quite a few people will be. Unfortunatly i can't seem to solve the predicament which is slowly killing me!
    Maybe try and learn an instrument then, there are loads of free websites that could help you begin to learn guitar or something like that. I learned guitar by teaching myself and it worked well.

I tend to waste most of my spare time by going to the gym, watching movies, playing xbox and working whenever I can get overtime.
    I have even begun drinking during the day because the bordom gets so bad

ReputationRep:
    find a good computer game. you said you have no money - battlefield heroes is a free fun shooter. google it. otherwise, yes tv is good. do you like to read? there are a lot of genres and a lot of good books out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt10101)
    Maybe try and learn an instrument then, there are loads of free websites that could help you begin to learn guitar or something like that. I learned guitar by teaching myself and it worked well.

I tend to waste most of my spare time by going to the gym, watching movies, playing xbox and working whenever I can get overtime.
    I have even begun drinking during the day because the bordom gets so bad
    Yeah i thought about guitar, only problem is i can't afford to buy one. I haven't got an income and have to pay rent :/. Might try and borrow one from someone.

Yeah thats pretty much my life as well. Gym, Xbox Live, DVDs, Internet TV Shows. At first i thought it was my dream life but after nearly 2 months of it, BORED.

I haven't resorted to drinking during the day just yet, though mainly because i'm gyming so much i dont want to ruin it.

ReputationRep:
    Do up your garden. My Brother and I did that one and I really enjoyed it. The different stages are good fun as well. To late in the year for you to plant vegetables though which is a shame. Maybe grow some peas actually?

ReputationRep:
    take up a new hobby

start boxing/djing/music production/bell-ringing

or find some ******* friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHRIS_PARTLOW)
    take up a new hobby

start boxing/djing/music production/bell-ringing

or find some ******* friends
    They all cost money, and i've got plenty of friends unfortunatly they all live in different cities miles away for 3 months of the year.

lmao you guys need to start to enjoy your own company.

Wake up at 2, look at myself in the mirror for an hour, have some breakfast. Listen to music while looking in the mirror. Then I'll read a book for four hours. Then I'll watch 2 horror films.

Sometimes i'll have a wine night or go somewhere or see someone.

But contentment starts inwardly

ReputationRep:
    also **** a lot?

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same kinda position.

After watching Martine Coles The Take on sky the other week, my mum mentioned she's read some of her books, and couldn't put them down, also even the 80 odd year old woman down the road we call auntie Elsie has.

Am your typical 21 year old, love going out with the "chosen family" at the weekends getting messy, not the book reading type, but i thought id give it ago to pass the time through the week when everyones at work.

In 3 weeks ive read 3 of her books, cant put them down.

They might not be your taste but there might be something else you could get into

ReputationRep:
    Why not write a book or do some cleaning I have a very clean house now due to boredum.

ReputationRep:
    maybe go to the Outer Hebrides?

you could learn Gaelic and there are unspoilt beaches on Lewis, Harris, Benbecula, North Uist and South Uist - you could even do a day trip to St. Kilda!

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your CV aint so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    What kind of project ?
    Umm...build a remote cotnrol car? I did that once, it took ages but i was pretty happy at the end of it. Mine was for a competition but it could be something to kill the time?

ReputationRep:
    play squash

ReputationRep:
    get a job, then you can be paid for being bored

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.