Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What proportion of Scottish people speak the dialect 'Scots'? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this dialect specifically restricted to the 'Lowlands'?

What kind of words are involved in the dialect - I'm guessing that Scots is just basically English but with words/phrases like 'wee' (means 'little') thrown in. Is the phrase 'Och aye the noo, wee laddie' of 'Scots' lineage or not?

Are there other specific dialects spoken in the Highlands? Are people north of the Antonine Wall/Firth of Clyde & Firth of Forth taught Gaelic in Schools?

Would most of those people be bilingual?

Do people from different cities have recognizably different accents - so could you tell say, an Invernessie from an Ullapudlian?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    stop it now. :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    How many scot thread are we going to have *head bang desk*

ReputationRep:
    I live in the scottish borders and I speak the dialect alot sometimes without realising it . In Hawick were I live it different from other towns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    How many scot thread are we going to have *head bang desk*
    I like the scottish threads the more the better.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe tomorrow we could have another theme. Some welsh threads perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    I am Scottish and I think the Scots dialect awful! Glaswegian is easily one of the ugliest dialects in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry JW)
    Maybe tomorrow we could have another theme. Some welsh threads perhaps.
    Or irish i like the irish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Is this dialect specifically restricted to the 'Lowlands'?

What kind of words are involved in the dialect - I'm guessing that Scots is just basically English but with words/phrases like 'wee' (means 'little') thrown in. Is the phrase 'Och aye the noo, wee laddie' of 'Scots' lineage or not?

Are there other specific dialects spoken in the Highlands? Are people north of the Antonine Wall/Firth of Clyde & Firth of Forth taught Gaelic in Schools?

Would most of those people be bilingual?

Do people from different cities have recognizably different accents - so could you tell say, an Invernessie from an Ullapudlian?

squish.
    In the western isles they speak Scots and in Grampian area we speak doric.

And no one except in the western isles speak gaelic. Theres only say 20,000 people who speak it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    In the western isles they speak Scots and in Grampian area we speak doric.

And no one except in the western isles speak gaelic. Theres only say 20,000 people who speak it.
    Oh right sorry! Do Pictish people know Doric then? - or have many specific Doric words?

Is the sort of border between the Gaelic and Pictish lands the rift that goes from Inverness south-west to Argyll?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    I like the scottish threads the more the better.
    Being scottish american I love the threads but I mean, its like the guy has a hard on for all things scot (and why not we're awesome) but 3 threads in as many minutes?

ReputationRep:
    Being scottish american I love the threads but I mean, its like the guy has a hard on for all things scot (and why not we're awesome) but 3 threads in as many minutes?
    How are you Scottish American? Are you really or just distant Scottish?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right sorry! Do Pictish people know Doric then? - or have many specific Doric words?

Is the sort of border between the Gaelic and Pictish lands the rift that goes from Inverness south-west to Argyll?

squish.
    I don't really know the pictish areas but Grampian speaks doric and the western isles speak Gaelic.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    How are you Scottish American? Are you really or just distant Scottish?
    Great grand dad is a scot so is my great grand mother so guess distant scottish but im quite proud of it >.>

ReputationRep:
    I could talk all things scottish all day he is getting obsessive but its all good. Scotland is a very pretty place

ReputationRep:
    I could talk all things scottish all day he is getting obsessive but its all good. Scotland is a very pretty place
    with the notable exception of Dundee :top:

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been to Oban? What is the furthest north in Alba that you have been?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been to Oban? What is the furthest north in Alba that you have been?

squish.
    I think so, I remeber when I was 16 I went to a place near inverness and I saw dolphins jumping and it was the most beautiful sight I have seen My geography is terrible tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry JW)
    with the notable exception of Dundee :top:
    The Higher you get in scotland the better Some sights are just breathtaking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.