The Student Room Group

Are Russians on the whole larger than British people?

I was having a discussion with someone as to whether on the whole Russians are bigger than British people, and this person was convinced that pretty much all Russians are 6 foot and over and built like a brick **** house.

I however don't see that, I have been to Ukraine (so not Russia, but as close as you can get without being Russia, both are similar ethnically), and they didn't strike me as massive people. The variation seemed similar to that of Britain, they weren't all built and muscular, the average height didn't appear significantly higher than a British person, and their bone structure seemed quite similar.

Is there any grounds to say that Russians (or East Slavs in general) are bigger on the whole the British (or Western Europeans), or is this more a stereotype that has been developed from the perception of Russia being a cold, harsh, brutal country?

Also, although Wikipedia sources are questionable, according to the page on Average height, in WW2, the average British solider was actually taller than the average Russian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_height

So yeah, many people seem to believe that Russians are 2 metres wide, 7 foot tall and have a block for a head, yet this strikes me as no closer to the truth than it is for British people. Oddly, I've noticed many Russians actually have quite a light bone structure.
I suppose I have always imaged russian to be as you described.. with a block for a head etc! But then I have also always assumed that all french men wear blue/white stripy tops, wear flat top/beiruts and have a chain of garlic hanging around their neck!!

Perhaps it is just simple racial stereotyping? Or perhaps since life is undoubtably tougher there, that the fittest/biggest 'win' (i.e surivive)?
burninginme
I was having a discussion with someone as to whether on the whole Russians are bigger than British people, and this person was convinced that pretty much all Russians are 6 foot and over and built like a brick **** house.

I however don't see that, I have been to Ukraine (so not Russia, but as close as you can get without being Russia, both are similar ethnically), and they didn't strike me as massive people. The variation seemed similar to that of Britain, they weren't all built and muscular, the average height didn't appear significantly higher than a British person, and their bone structure seemed quite similar.

Is there any grounds to say that Russians (or East Slavs in general) are bigger on the whole the British (or Western Europeans), or is this more a stereotype that has been developed from the perception of Russia being a cold, harsh, brutal country?

Also, although Wikipedia sources are questionable, according to the page on Average height, in WW2, the average British solider was actually taller than the average Russian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_height

So yeah, many people seem to believe that Russians are 2 metres wide, 7 foot tall and have a block for a head, yet this strikes me as no closer to the truth than it is for British people. Oddly, I've noticed many Russians actually have quite a light bone structure.

From what I've notices, Russians tend to be broader but not necessarily taller than the Brits. Plus, they have a more defined bone structure which makes them more attractive, sexy, eye-catching and sensual:rolleyes: but this is coming from someone who has a penchant for Russians so my judgments may be wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending