Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    Whats the problem with living in halls for the first two years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    Unfortunately, some of the universities I'm applying to don't guarantee on-campus accommodation for all students past the first year; if it were my choice, though, I'd stay in the halls.

i suspect that the university may well offer you on campus accomodation for your second year given your 'vulnerable' status and their greater duty of care should they chose to admit you at this age. also the statements about on campus accommodation are made to make people aware that the university cannot offer everyone more than one year's accommodation .

ReputationRep:
    How come you'll be going to uni when you're only 16?! Even if you could get on-campus accomodation for 2 years, you'd be living with freshers instead of your friends in your 2nd year, which probably wouldn't be as good.

I'd suggest having a gap year, as then you only have to wait until half way through your second year before you're 18, which will be better as quite a lot of uni social activities need you to be 18 (pub trips, clubbing, etc - even if you don't drink, you won't be allowed in licensed premises).

ReputationRep:
    I'll turn 18 half-way through my second year (I turn 16 next January), but I'll be 17 for part of my second year.

How easy would it be to find off-campus accommodation at 17?
    I am confused :confused: are you going into U6/year 13 in September, so you'll be 16 when you start uni in october 2010?

I don't think many landlords would care if you're 17 tbh, people move out at 16/17/18 and rent houses without problems. You may need a guarantor (parents/etc), depending on your landlord - but that's the same for over 18s too.

You could have issues with funding though, as you won't be able to get a bank overdraft until you're 18.

ReputationRep:
    I'm homeschooled (and was consequently able to take my A-levels earlier), so I'd turn 16 next January, then 17 the January after (half-way through my 1st year) and 18 the January after (half-way through my 2nd year).

So I could even live on my own at 16? I was considering taking a gap year and trying to live on my own if I could find a good job, but I wasn't sure if I could rent a flat/house at that age (or get a job that paid enough to make it feasible). Or I could share accommodation, but I wouldn't know where to look.

Thanks for your advice btw , I really don't know much about this.
    Oh I see. Well I'd definitely recommend a gap year, because if you go to uni at 16 you'll be so much younger than everyone else! If you can afford to live alone at 16 and find a house/flat, I don't think you'd have any problems. I guess some landlords are a bit wary of letting property to younger people because of the whole media coverage of out of control parties and everything! But you have to pay a deposit and sign all the paperwork saying you're responsible, so you should be fine - especially if your parents are your guarantors or something.

But if you live at home in your gap year you could save up for uni
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd recommend a gap year. My friend took one 'cos she wanted to be 18 when she went to uni and she managed to save up quite a lot :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I might take one. Are there any gap year schemes where you can get your accommodation paid for in return for working for a lower salary or something? (I'm not sure how much I would be able to earn if I just got an ordinary job - probably not enough to cover the cost of living on my own, I imagine ).

I've never lived away from home, so I might want to get some experience of that before I went to university.
    I haven't heard of any schemes like that here, but there are lots of ocmpanies who offer things like that abroad (for charity work, or work experience, etc). You often have to pay for those schemes though.

There are quite a few admin/etc jobs that pay £11,000-£13,000 pa which you could get. You just need a pass (A*-C) in gcse maths & english usually, so with good A-Levels you'd be a very good applicant.

I wouldn't worry about living out in your gap year though, most people move away from home for the first time when they go to uni. Keep the ease of living at home whilst you can!

ReputationRep:
    Could I get those jobs without GCSEs? (Although I got 3 As in Maths, Further Maths, and Physics, I went straight to the A-levels and never took my GCSEs :/).
    So that means you have no qualification at all in English?

ReputationRep:
    Could I get those jobs without GCSEs? (Although I got 3 As in Maths, Further Maths, and Physics, I went straight to the A-levels and never took my GCSEs :/).
    Ah. Well, for uni and jobs you should do an English gcse or something, and also maybe sciences - have you checked with any unis that they don't mind you not having gcses?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.