Has anyone else had problems with HSBC Debit cards? Watch

FunLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I applied for my current account with HSBC to be converted into a Student account. It all went ahead fine and it's now complete. However, on the same day that I received my terms and conditions for Student accounts, I received another letter from HSBC who had sent me a new Visa debit card. It still has the same sort code and account number as my other debit card (which happens to be Maestro.)

The problem I have is this:
I had already sent my university accommodation forms requiring my debit card details for deposits back before receiving this visa card.

HSBC now tells me I have to inform the university that I have a new debit card... and that all Maestro customers will have received a new Visa debit card. But do I just contact the accommodation office about the new and recent changes? Or do I call the main university and inform them?

:eek3:
Heir-Head
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it's a completely seperate card you'll need to activate it by ringing them up or doing it via internet banking. I'd ring up the main Uni to cover all bases and if you only need to speak to accomodation they'll put you through to them.
FunLady
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heir-Head)
If it's a completely seperate card you'll need to activate it by ringing them up or doing it via internet banking. I'd ring up the main Uni to cover all bases and if you only need to speak to accomodation they'll put you through to them.
I haven't activated it yet. Should I contact the university first before activating it? Or activate then call?

Does anyone know roughly when they take the deposits for accommodation? My letter from the accommodation place said they were to take it before I arrived... and my friend said it's taken before your student loan is in place?

:confused:
Heir-Head
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I was sent a new card this week because I had to have my old one cancelled and before you can use it properly it has to be activated, probably best if you activate it first if the Uni needs to take the card details.
FunLady
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heir-Head)
Well I was sent a new card this week because I had to have my old one cancelled and before you can use it properly it has to be activated, probably best if you activate it first if the Uni needs to take the card details.
Thanks for the advice! :top:
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey im in the process of applying and i have a few questions, because im a newbie.

1) would anyone recommend to click yes to would you like a credit card with your student account?

2) what does this mean?

Would you like to make repayments by Direct Debit to your credit card account. This will ensure that you don't miss a payment. You can choose to make either the minimum repayment or repay in full each month.

options are : minimum, full repayment and minimum repayment.

i dont understand the part in bold, what is it referring to?

thnx
xo<3_Sammie
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tokyorose888)
hey im in the process of applying and i have a few questions, because im a newbie.

1) would anyone recommend to click yes to would you like a credit card with your student account?

2) what does this mean?

Would you like to make repayments by Direct Debit to your credit card account. This will ensure that you don't miss a payment. You can choose to make either the minimum repayment or repay in full each month.

options are : minimum, full repayment and minimum repayment.

i dont understand the part in bold, what is it referring to?

thnx
It means that you can set your account to pay off your credit card bill automatically each month. The part in bold is saying that because the bill is paid automatically there is no chance of you forgetting to pay it off. You can either set it to pay the whole amount off each month (full repayment) or just to pay the minimum amount (minimum repayment).
il pirata
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmmmm, I'm just in the process of changing my HSBC account to a student account.

My current debit card is a SOLO card though.
rob325114
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by il pirata)
Hmmmm, I'm just in the process of changing my HSBC account to a student account.

My current debit card is a SOLO card though.
You will be upgraded to Visa, pending your acceptance for a student account.
hafa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rob325114)
You will be upgraded to Visa, pending your acceptance for a student account.
Thanks for that info. I've been looking around for such information.
thecrystalship
Report 9 years ago
hsbc wont even give me a student account with the overdraft. because i dont have any credit rating..shame i'm good with money and don't take out loans :/
granny smith
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thecrystalship)
hsbc wont even give me a student account with the overdraft. because i dont have any credit rating..shame i'm good with money and don't take out loans :/
I am in same position! Have never had loans before uni, no credit cards, no debts etc. Now, when i REALLY could do with an overdraft and credit card, i am told i am not allowed them, as have no credit rating, GREAT!!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

Yes, definitely (18)
12.41%
I'd like to think so (74)
51.03%
Ha! You must be kidding. (53)
36.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed