Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anybody ever gotten pregnant whilst on Depo-Provera injection? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just as the title suggests. Has anybody here ever fallen pregnant whilst using the Depo-Provera as the sole method of contraception?

ReputationRep:
    Im starting to worry that I have but I havnt had a test yet. The side effects of the injection have been debilitating so it really would take the biscuit if it hasnt even worked as a contraception.

ReputationRep:
    Was on it for nearly a year and it worked fine for me. Considering it does 3 different things to try prevent you from becomming pregnant, the chances are pretty slim as long as you remember when you're due for your next one.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the depo for 2.5 years since i had my second child. The past 2 weeks i've been feeling different, emotional, crying for no reason, irritable and quite a lot of headaches the past week. The yesterday i went out in the car, as a passenger, and all of a sudden felt really queazy and when i got home i was sick. I never normally get any kind of travel sickness.

I was looking on internet last night and loads of sites cme up about it saying you can get pregnant while on depo as it sonly about 97% effective, same as the pill.

Think i might buy a test to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seyoung1)
    I was looking on internet last night and loads of sites cme up about it saying you can get pregnant while on depo as it sonly about 97% effective, same as the pill.
    Mycrogynon 30 (contraceptive pill) is 99.7% effective when used correctly, alot safer then the depo.

I'd use condoms in addition to the injection instead of taking that risk.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that because depo was long acting.. the only way you could really fall pregnant on it was failing to take the next one at the right time..

And spasmos.. depo is much more reliable than the pill! People can easily forget to take the pill, take it at the wrong time, take antibiotics or throw up and forget to use condoms in the latter two situations..

Depo is definitely over 99% reliable according to the FPA. And it's classed as one of the most reliable there is alongside the implant because antibiotics and diarrhea etc don't affect it.

ReputationRep:
    I havn't myself but a friend of my family did. She didnt know she was pregnant until about 5 months went to the doctors and needed a blood test (was for completely unrelated reasons) and it came back that she was pregnant. I felt quite sorry for her really because she was only 19 and was already 5 months gone so didnt have any choice in what she wanted to do about the pregnancy. It is very rare though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seyoung1)
    I've been on the depo for 2.5 years since i had my second child. The past 2 weeks i've been feeling different, emotional, crying for no reason, irritable and quite a lot of headaches the past week. The yesterday i went out in the car, as a passenger, and all of a sudden felt really queazy and when i got home i was sick. I never normally get any kind of travel sickness.

Think i might buy a test to make sure.
    Well i did a test and it was negative. Im quite releaved as im starting uni in September and i wasn't planning on having anymore kids. Thanks for advice everyone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.