Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going to rent a flat in London and this landlord insists in me paying the reservation deposit via western union.

And I saw that many people say western union is not safe at all (many freud on ebay) and that the service charge is way high (I am the one paying the service charge!). (and I live in China)

I didn't find the flat via agents so I am a bit cautious about that...
    what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother. While it might be genuine, this is a fairly common scam. "Landlords" find foreign "tenants" such as yourself and persuade them to wire the deposit by Western Union. Then when the "tenants" arrive they find there is no flat or landlord.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    Don't bother. While it might be genuine, this is a fairly common scam. "Landlords" find foreign "tenants" such as yourself and persuade them to wire the deposit by Western Union. Then when the "tenants" arrive they find there is no flat or landlord.
    ah man thats exactly the case. Thank you. It says on the ad 'Decent and honest tenant needed'.
    Thats why I thought it may as well be genuine. But whatever, I will take your advice. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrmondDrone)
    Don't do it.
    Thanks. But now I am worried that I have nowhere to live...since I want to find a studio in zone 1 - 3 under 600 per month. Seemingly impossible...

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't your uni's accommodation office have a list of 'approved' landlords - I'd use that rather than go with an unknown.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    OP is he nigerian?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.