Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really know where to put this, as i doubt any of you are secretaries, but you may know some if you work already.

I was just wondering what sort of pay they get in London? I've just started my Legal Sec diploma.

Also, i have to choose two modules to study out of:

Conveyancing
    Family Law
    Criminal Law
    Company Law
    Wills and Probate
    Civil Litigation

As i didn't study law, i have no idea what the majority of these involve. I've been told that Company Law and Conveyancing have the most jobs in London, so it's best i choose one of those, but no idea what else to choose. Can anyone give me a small break down of what each module concerns please? And how interesting they might be.

ReputationRep:
    I worked as a Personal Injury secretary for a year and had some shortterm temping experience in Probate, Family and Criminal.

You don't need any official qualification to do this...why waste your money? As long as you have a fast typing speed and are reasonably bright so you don't get fired by an overexpectant boss then you'll quickly pick it up.

Go to all the temping agencies and apply for all the legal secretary jobs. I'd argue that Criminal is probably the most exciting (as you have to quickly sort things out for the solicitor as and when people get arrested) but since you're making a career out of it you may as well sample them all. You should expect the bosses to be ***** to you though as a temp, so please don't let them break you.

They get around £16000 in the northwest full time p.a. I think if you work for better companies you can get more. Especially in London you will get more but don't know the figures. I would suggest you train to become a barristers clerk after you get the legal sec experience as they earn FAR more.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has been applying for legal secretary jobs for the better part of a year, I would advise you to ignore the above post. In this day and age, law firms only want to employ people with experience, and/or a qualification. I just finished my first year of a part time law degree, and I can't even get temp work in a law firm, despite having 5 years of office experience, and a touch typing speed of 70wpm, so do the the course - I'm even considering doing it because I want to get experience in a law firm before I graduate and it might be my only way in!!!

As for the modules, the big firms in London do focus on Company Law, but Personal Injury is a big area too. I suppose it depends on what area you yourself want to go into. Company Law is mostly contracts and paperwork - though I actually find it extremely interesting - in fact no matter what area you go into, as a Legal Sec your going to be typing up a load of paperwork and documents anyway. You might come across more interesting characters in Family and Criminal though, so if your a people person I'd go for them!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    As someone who has been applying for legal secretary jobs for the better part of a year, I would advise you to ignore the above post. In this day and age, law firms only want to employ people with experience, and/or a qualification. I just finished my first year of a part time law degree, and I can't even get temp work in a law firm, despite having 5 years of office experience, and a touch typing speed of 70wpm, so do the the course - I'm even considering doing it because I want to get experience in a law firm before I graduate and it might be my only way in!!!

As for the modules, the big firms in London do focus on Company Law, but Personal Injury is a big area too. I suppose it depends on what area you yourself want to go into. Company Law is mostly contracts and paperwork - though I actually find it extremely interesting - in fact no matter what area you go into, as a Legal Sec your going to be typing up a load of paperwork and documents anyway. You might come across more interesting characters in Family and Criminal though, so if your a people person I'd go for them!!!
    Thank you! Definitely sticking with the diploma, i'll be half way through by the end of the day. Getting a bit sick of all the MS office modules, all my law modules and shorthand are at the end of the course! I think i will do Company Law then, and then either family or criminal. Hopefully i can have a look at the course material before i start.

I've been pestering my temp agency to see if they can get me law jobs, but i seem to be stuck in primary care trusts at the moment! Should have done the medical sec diploma at this rate :p: Not as interesting though!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.