Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is one of my weakest subjects at uni. Does anyone have any recommendations on books to help me understand? Its only the basics (first year) and its not like its my degree. Also biochemistry is a pain so the same for that if anyone knows.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    An Introduction to Genetic Analysis by Anthony J. F. Griffiths - I have always used this as my standard genetics textbook, check it out at the library first before you buy.

For Biochemistry, I guess Biochemistry - Voet & Voet, or Biochemistry - Stryer et al. These books are probably a little advanced for first year, but check them out and see what you think.

For Cell biology - Molecular Cell Biology (Harvey Lodish), for key concepts in cell biology (probably better for first year courses) Cell Biology: A Short Course by Stephen R. Bolsover, Jeremy S. Hyams, Elizabeth A. Shephard, and Hugh A. White

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    iGenetics by Peter J. Russell is a really good book! It is around £50 though so see if it is in the library.

Molecular Biology of the Cell is also good for certain biochemistry topics.

I don't know the exact title of this one but there are a series of books which say "Instant notes" on them and they have instant notes in biochemistry.

I study Biology and these are the books I used for the genetics module and the cell biology module. The zoologists all had the same modules as me too though because the first year is same for everybody (this may not be the case at your universsity). Maybe you could find a cheap copy or just sell it on once you have used it?

ReputationRep:
    Its not a text book
    but

a book called 'The chemistry of life' by Steven Rose is vry good although possibly slightly dated...worth a try?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysticdreamer)
    This is one of my weakest subjects at uni. Does anyone have any recommendations on books to help me understand? Its only the basics (first year) and its not like its my degree. Also biochemistry is a pain so the same for that if anyone knows.

Thanks
    Biochemistry by Stryer, 7th Ed is good

Genetics: Analysis and Principles by Brooker, 3rd Ed is very readable.

(Original post by tetedupet)
    An Introduction to Genetic Analysis by Anthony J. F. Griffiths - I have always used this as my standard genetics textbook, check it out at the library first before you buy.

For Biochemistry, I guess Biochemistry - Voet & Voet, or Biochemistry - Stryer et al. These books are probably a little advanced for first year, but check them out and see what you think.

For Cell biology - Molecular Cell Biology (Harvey Lodish), for key concepts in cell biology (probably better for first year courses) Cell Biology: A Short Course by Stephen R. Bolsover, Jeremy S. Hyams, Elizabeth A. Shephard, and Hugh A. White

Hope this helps!
    Hm, I used some of them in first year, I found it alright.

ReputationRep:
    hi there im going to be starting bsc biochemistry in september at queens marys london was wondering if u could give me any help advice of possibly areas, or books i could begin to look at ??

any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amun)
    hi there im going to be starting bsc biochemistry in september at queens marys london was wondering if u could give me any help advice of possibly areas, or books i could begin to look at ??

any help would be greatly appreciated
    i would go by the books demo said

Biochemistry by Stryer, 7th Ed

my uni uses this book for first year biochem
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-B...9650404&sr=8-8

ReputationRep:
    ok thanx robinson999 i will look in to that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amun)
    ok thanx robinson999 i will look in to that
    its better to wait till you get to uni, and they give you your reading list and tell you which books you should have

ReputationRep:
    +1 for igenetics and Stryer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.