Turn on thread page Beta

Finding people on FB after meeting them IRL watch

• View Poll Results: Finding people on FB who you met IRL (and contacting them). Options:[1 or 2]+[3 or 4]
    I'd be happy to receive such a message
    68.06%
    I'd think it was weird/stalkerish to receive such a message
    8.33%
    I'd do this, it seems reasonable
    50.00%
    I wouldn't do this, it's a bit weird - just find them IRL again one day
    6.94%
    LOLpoll
    23.61%

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I wanted to ask how this might be seen by people. If you were "out" one night and made some friends, but didn't exchange contact information, how would you feel about finding them, or being found, on FaceBook and getting a message through there?

I rarely go out or anything, and I don't meet people much, so I'm not sure how it would be seen. But the other night I met several people and we had a good time, but I doubt I'd ever hear from them again if I didn't get in touch, so I found them on FB (easy to do since we were at an event with a FB guest list) and sent a short message saying hi, it's "me", hope you had a good time, etc.
    No replies have come yet, in 36 hours or so, and I know not everyone is online 24/7 but it just made me wonder if perhaps it seems weird and stalkerish?

But surely that's kind of what FB is for really?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    no dont seem werid but unless you get replys dont message again. If they were really drunk tho they might not remember meeting you

ReputationRep:
    I'd assume that you were a perverted stalker/rapist and call the FBI immediately.

ReputationRep:
    They're probably just busy [running for the hills]

Glad i could help.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't think it was too weird, depends how much you chatted to them etc.

If they don't reply then don't message them again though!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies so far. To clarify, I spent about 6 hours with them, in a small group - so they probably remember me (whether they want to or not).

ReputationRep:
    I'd be quite flattered tbh, if you seemed like a half decent person when I met you in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen angel9)
    I'd be quite flattered tbh, if you seemed like a half decent person when I ment you in real life.
    agreed but as others have said, i wouldnt message again if they dont reply.

take it easy mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    I wouldn't mind, if I got on with the person. Not creepy at all, but it is a bit weird that you are wondering why they haven't replied after only 36 hours ... not everyone goes on Fabebook and reads all their messages every day. Just wait and see what happens. If you don't get a reply then don't bother messaging again.
    THEY SHOULD BE ONLINE EVERY SINGLE DAY CONSTANTLY FOREVER AND EVER

sorry - I'm just someone who would get an e-mail or FB message within a couple of hours, no matter when it was sent. So it seem like a long time in my world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    not everyone checks their email or even goes online every day.
    What bizarre lives they must lead :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Or they could be on holiday. I know that I don't take my lapto with me on holiday simply because I like to 'unplug' as much as is possible, even if there might be free wi-fi, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellisntitfor)
    What bizarre lives they must live :confused:

haha in both ironic and serious ways i agree with you lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Or they could be on holiday. I know that I don't take my lapto with me on holiday simply because I like to 'unplug' as much as is possible, even if there might be free wi-fi, etc...
    This explanation is unlikely - seeing as they probably wouldn't have been out until 4am the night before going on holiday

ReputationRep:
    no its not weird, i've done it/have been added. although once i left the people we said we'd add each other on fb.

ReputationRep:
    This explanation is unlikely - seeing as they probably wouldn't have been out until 4am the night before going on holiday

Oh I don't know, there is no better way to ensure that you catch that 6am flight than to still be awake from the night before...

ReputationRep:
    i think the poll speaks for itself

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I wanted to ask how this might be seen by people. If you were "out" one night and made some friends, but didn't exchange contact information, how would you feel about finding them, or being found, on FaceBook and getting a message through there?

I rarely go out or anything, and I don't meet people much, so I'm not sure how it would be seen. But the other night I met several people and we had a good time, but I doubt I'd ever hear from them again if I didn't get in touch, so I found them on FB (easy to do since we were at an event with a FB guest list) and sent a short message saying hi, it's "me", hope you had a good time, etc.
    No replies have come yet, in 36 hours or so, and I know not everyone is online 24/7 but it just made me wonder if perhaps it seems weird and stalkerish?

But surely that's kind of what FB is for really?

Thanks
    I might think it was a bit weird but only in rare circumstance and you should be thinking

Friend them:
    Best case scenario>they become friends of yours
    worse case scenario>they dont your friends

Dont contact them
    Best case scenario>they dont become your friends
    worst case scenario> they dont become your friends

And just friend them. Dont send a message saying "hi its me!", that is weird. By all means after theyv accepted you as a friend but not before.
    Just friending also avoids the pitfall some have mentioned where they dont remember you and they are like "WTF are you?!",if they dont remember you they are unlikely to accept a friend request...

ReputationRep:
    This is what FB is for isn't it? To play the game of Facebook Pokemon?

Everyone has plenty of people on their lists who they only met very briefly and adding someone you have just met is slightly less intrusive than asking for numbers.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind personally...if you had a good time with them..it's friendly..not stalkerish.

It would be stalkerish however, if you hadn't spoke to them and just watched them from a distance lol

For some people though, it's an ego boost and will just accept anyone and everyone to make their friends list that bit bigger and might not give you the time of day on FB

ReputationRep:
    mhm. I didn't actually add them as friends. I just wanted to say hi and that, really. I keep very few friends on FB - it's mostly for me and my old school/uni friends to be really offensive to each other

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.