Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do you know when you really like someone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i know this isnt a black and white question.
    but i'm finding it difficult to work out whether i like someone as a friend, or a bit more.

i used to be constantly thinking of him, of things he did that made me laugh, etc. but having not seen him for a while, i've been thinking of him less and less, though when i do, the feeling's jus as strong and there.

i always enjoy it when we're together, but sometimes i realise it could never be more than friends and that's the way i like it, yet at other times, i do wonder if it would work and how it could be.

so people, how do you know if you actually like somebody?

ReputationRep:
    I think it sounds like you do really like this guy, but as he is your friend, but think it won't work out because you are friends.

I know i like someone when im in a room full of crowded people and he stands out to me and i feel kind of nervous when he is around. Also, thinking of him alot, looking at him more than other people, remembering lots of things he says

ReputationRep:
    I get all nervous when I'm around them and just make a prat of myself generally. :rolleyes:

For the record it sounds like you don't like this person more than a friend. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    if you go meet him and you see him walking towards you do you get butterflys in your stomach and cant stop smilling for first few mins

ReputationRep:
    when you're truly happy when in their company, when you share things only the two of you get, when you seem him with a girl that isn't you...

ReputationRep:
    when they seem to be on your mind more than other guys, when you remember things they say and remember nice things they've done for you, when you feel yourself consciously trying to portray yourself in a good/funny light in front of them, when your guard's slightly up when they're around and when you're nervous when they're around, yet as someone said above 'truly happy'. and just generally, when you're aware of their presence in a crowded room.

ReputationRep:
    If you like someone, when you're on the phone your heart should rapidly go boom continuously.

ReputationRep:
    well if your nervous or shy around them, but it depends

ReputationRep:
    You feel your heart sink when you say goodbye

You get butterflies in your stomach if you haven't seen them for a while

ReputationRep:
    I thought he was just a friend, and was kinda happy like that.
    But then realised I never stop thinking about him, and that the jealousy was just insane when he got a girlfriend

I'm trying to get over him, but it's kinda difficult. Maybe I just need to find someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    My heart goes BOOM when I think of them.
    Or I tend to giggle to myself as I remember the totally-unfunny-but-what-I-seem-to-find-hilarious things they do when I'm just out and about. XD

Not getting them out of your head is a sign, but then if he's a good mate, you'd probably think about him more than other guys anyway =\
    Goshh same here!!!

ReputationRep:
    Butterflies when they speak to you/ come online/ text/ message you. Think about them alot. When you spend time with them you cheerish it so much and think about it loads afterwards. No matter what mood your in being with them alwais cheers you up. You notice all the small things that they do which are just amazing lol

ReputationRep:
    When you get a text, you hope its them.

And you don't have to post a thread to discover it?!
    Not trying to be clever here, but surely if you really liked him, you wouldn't need our reassurance? Everyone will act differently when they like someone, so you may not find your behaviour vindicated, but thats not really the decider, is it.

Maybe think about how you'd feel if he went out with someone now?

ReputationRep:
    You find yourself constantly thinking about them, you remember everything they've said to you, you find yourself smiling thinking about them, your heart beats really fast when you see them, you miss them every moment your not with them. Also- you would do literally anything for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellynubbin)
    When you get a text, you hope its them.

And you don't have to post a thread to discover it?!
    Not trying to be clever here, but surely if you really liked him, you wouldn't need our reassurance? Everyone will act differently when they like someone, so you may not find your behaviour vindicated, but thats not really the decider, is it.

Maybe think about how you'd feel if he went out with someone now?
    yeah i agree with the text! and when you spend ages getting ready when you're going to see them, when you remember things that they said ages ago. When you're trying to work out whether they fancy you when there with you. when you hear someone with the same name, you smile. When you're with them you get nervous around them.

ReputationRep:
    That is a really hard question. If you wish you could just kiss him or hold his hand, and constantly be in his arms then you would like him as more than a friend, unless you do that with all your male friends which is pretty easy to say that you don't otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question. The proof that he stands out to you against any other male friends you have would say that yes, you like him as more than a friend, if you smile everytime you see him and feel all warm in your heart then yes, you like him as more than a friend.

ReputationRep:
    thank you all, i liked reading all this and mentally ticking off all the boxes that fit!

for example, the following are all true:
    "tend to giggle to myself as I remember the totally-unfunny-but-what-I-seem-to-find-hilarious things they do when I'm just out and about"

"if you go meet him and you see him walking towards you do you get butterflys in your
    stomach and cant stop smilling for first few mins"

"aware of their presence in a crowded room"

"when you spend time with them you cheerish it so much and think about it loads afterwards"

"when you get a text, you hope its them"

i know some of you are saying i wouldnt need to post a thread if i really liked him, but that's the thing, i really don't know. if i had read this thread posted by someone else, maybe i'd thought the same thing, but in my case, i'm not that certain.

i think the point is that, before, i really just did think of him as a friend and that was it. and i was fine and happy with it. and i think it's natural that the longer you spend time with someone, the more you like them, so i can't tell if this is just a natural progression in liking as a friend, or if it's a changed liking to something in the more romantical sense.

the thing is i can't imagine how i would feel if i saw him with a girlfriend, because he's the sort that has a lot of female friends, but i cant really see him 'being' with someone. and because of that, it's hard to imagine kissing him/holding his hand, because in some ways, it's just not him. but there's nothing that says that's true and that i wouldnt want to.

and i dont miss him every moment im not with him. i used to miss him quite a bit, but time has faded it a bit, but i know once i see him, i will be really happy.

oh, i dont know. i thought it would be easier if i knew for certain if i liked him, but to be honest i dont know if it would. and im really unsure how he feels towards me.
    and i almost like this ambiguouity.
    but it almost means nothing will happen if it keeps like this.

ReputationRep:
    When I'd rather be spending time with them than gaming.
    And that means a lot :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmaash)
    thank you all, i liked reading all this and mentally ticking off all the boxes that fit!

for example, the following are all true:
    "tend to giggle to myself as I remember the totally-unfunny-but-what-I-seem-to-find-hilarious things they do when I'm just out and about"

"if you go meet him and you see him walking towards you do you get butterflys in your
    stomach and cant stop smilling for first few mins"

"aware of their presence in a crowded room"

"when you spend time with them you cheerish it so much and think about it loads afterwards"

"when you get a text, you hope its them"

i know some of you are saying i wouldnt need to post a thread if i really liked him, but that's the thing, i really don't know. if i had read this thread posted by someone else, maybe i'd thought the same thing, but in my case, i'm not that certain.

i think the point is that, before, i really just did think of him as a friend and that was it. and i was fine and happy with it. and i think it's natural that the longer you spend time with someone, the more you like them, so i can't tell if this is just a natural progression in liking as a friend, or if it's a changed liking to something in the more romantical sense.

the thing is i can't imagine how i would feel if i saw him with a girlfriend, because he's the sort that has a lot of female friends, but i cant really see him 'being' with someone. and because of that, it's hard to imagine kissing him/holding his hand, because in some ways, it's just not him. but there's nothing that says that's true and that i wouldnt want to.

and i dont miss him every moment im not with him. i used to miss him quite a bit, but time has faded it a bit, but i know once i see him, i will be really happy.

oh, i dont know. i thought it would be easier if i knew for certain if i liked him, but to be honest i dont know if it would. and im really unsure how he feels towards me.
    and i almost like this ambiguouity.
    but it almost means nothing will happen if it keeps like this.
    Just carry on how you are and in time your feelings may become more clear, and if something happens it happens. Just try not to worry so much about defining everything like your feelings. Just go with the flow! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    When you really like someone you start to masturbate over there picture.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.