Turn on thread page Beta

Student Loan decreased a lot for second year watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've recently sorted out my student loan after a lot of phone calls to those idiots. At first I was just getting the non-assessed loan and now they have added on the income assessed part and my loan is roughly £500 less than my first year. Surely this is a mistake? Where do they expect me to find that money from? Anyone else's loan quite a bit lower this year?

ReputationRep:
    Has anything changed since last year - i.e. has your parents income gone up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    Has anything changed since last year - i.e. has your parents income gone up?
    Nope, its stayed the same. I'm in exactly the same situation as last year. Thats why is so confusing. Is it worth ringing up the SLC?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, i've just looked over my entitlement summary for this year and last year and its only less that £300 difference. They are now expecting my parents to give me £700 throughout the year rather than £300 like last year.

ReputationRep:
    I know that they vary due to inflation and stuff, but not by that much. Hmm...do you have all your old paperwork for last year? Why not give them a ring and ask for an explanation?

ReputationRep:
    Did you have a sibling who attended uni last year who isn't doing so this year?

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't normally change that much. I would ask SLC to explain the decision.

ReputationRep:
    My situation is the same, me and my sister are now going into our second years, my parents earn the same as they did before. Perhaps its just the government putting pressure on middle class families and trying to squeeze every penny out of them. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine if it's not a change in the number of siblings dependent on your parents, then your course was possibly longer last year. Other than that, I'd guess you're on a foundation degree / HND / DipHE
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The Student Loans people said that in Year 2 I had no siblings, when I had originally applied with two brothers. They made a mistake and I got a grand less than I should have done because I was an only child for year 2. Ring them and clarify

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.