Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the lowest ranking university you would be happy to attend Watch

ReputationRep:
    ..... For me it's Goldsmiths College, University of London. In my opinion that's the lowest ranking respectable university. Any university positioned below Goldsmiths e.g. City, Kent, Reading, Brunel, Nottingham Trent, De Montfont etc, etc is not worth attending.

I was just wonderering what's the lowest ranking university you would be happy to attend.

ReputationRep:
    any of the top 20
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The one you're at (whichever it is today).

ReputationRep:
    De Montfort, probably. Lower unis get my funding (it seems), and DMU is going up.

ReputationRep:
    Kent, which is my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Would stretch to Birmingham if I had to.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol I s'pose.

ReputationRep:
    Best to base it on the rankings for the subject you want to study. E.g. kent might not be that high for the general rankings, but from what i can remember it was at a repectable position in the subject rankings for law.

ReputationRep:
    Reading (well Reading's ICMA centre)

ReputationRep:
    This thread will just make some people feel rubbish. My firm is birmingham, my insurance birmingham city. I chose both because they offer the course I have my heart set on studying.

Regardless of what anyone says, any degree is better than no degree, for the knowledge and life experiences you gain. Attending oxford/cambridge does not make you a better/more intelligent than anyone else. Grades are not a measure of intelligence, and if attending somewhere like this would mean being surrounded by and becoming a snob, I would rather go to the lowest ranked uni there is.

ReputationRep:
    Any which offers the course i wanted to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayyleyy)
    This thread will just make some people feel rubbish. My firm is birmingham, my insurance birmingham city. I chose both because they offer the course I have my heart set on studying.

Regardless of what anyone says, any degree is better than no degree, for the knowledge and life experiences you gain.

That's not necessarily true. I was speaking to a an employer who was saying that he'd prefer to employ someone without a degree than someone with a degree from a rubbish university.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have been happy to attend the very lowest, if it were right for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    That's not necessarily true. I was speaking to a an employer who was saying that he'd prefer to employ someone without a degree than someone with a degree from a rubbish university.
    And you would actually want to work for this employer?

ReputationRep:
    well my fiirm is bath and insurance is Bristol, but dude it depends what course your doing, i looked at the times website and some of the courses that the lower unis offer have a higher success rate to some of the top 20, but if i had to chose id say bournmoth

ReputationRep:
    -checks the rankings as they stand now-

68th according to the Times Good University Guide is apparantly the lowest ranking uni I'd be happy with, seeing as that's the one I hope to be going to :p:

Oh man... define "happy" OP. Because I can think of many unis, but it depends on the kind of happiness.

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths, University of London - simply because it's part of UoL.
    Other than that, Reading probably.

ReputationRep:
    btw dude im going to study Accounting and Finance this year as well

ReputationRep:
    2nd, possibly 3rd.

:rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.