Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the lowest ranking university you would be happy to attend Watch

(Original post by cpj1987)
    I'd have been happy to attend the very lowest, if it were right for me.
    Me too! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk12345)
    Best to base it on the rankings for the subject you want to study. E.g. kent might not be that high for the general rankings, but from what i can remember it was at a repectable position in the subject rankings for law.
    Exactly. The Uni of the West of Scotland where I am must be pretty low and I'm sure it is a crap Uni but for my course in computing, it's the second best as there's only 2 Uni's with the course that is accredited in this way.

ReputationRep:
    No lower than 3rd, fo' sho'.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Any where between the Top 25 - 30 unis, you should be fine. Any lower you might as well burn your student finance.

ReputationRep:
    damn some people have got massive egos...if it's not in the top ten it doesn't make it s**t..whats this crap about warwick?kent btw is not that bad for those of you who have said it..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr FiX-iT)
    Any where between the Top 25 - 30 unis, you should be fine. Any lower you might as well burn your student finance.
    Guess I'm starting up my bonfire then. Bristol students better get on it too, and SOAS. We're all wasting our time, and money!

ReputationRep:
    Location would be more important to me. I'd probably prefer to be at Man Met than York because I'd go stir crazy at the latter.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The lowest ranking one I applied to was Queen Mary, so I guess that. :/

ReputationRep:
    St Hilda's College, Oxford

ReputationRep:
    None outside of the Russell Group, with a few exceptions e.g Durham.

ReputationRep:
    For me, Cambridge is slumming it

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about rankings. For me it's the place/feel of the uni that's important

ReputationRep:
    UClan because they've got a great Investigative Sciences Department, even a BSc Forensics and Archaeology degree which is what I wanted to do, and it's still close to home. If I hadn't gotten into Manchester, I'dve gone there.

ReputationRep:
    Only the top ten, unless the university was particularly good for my specific subject.

ReputationRep:
    in terms of aerospace, the other one I would have gone to would be hertfordshire.

ReputationRep:
    central saint martins is like in the 60's i think, and i'd apply there (its part of UoL though isn't it?)
    other than that I think 30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Guess I'm starting up my bonfire then. Bristol students better get on it too, and SOAS. We're all wasting our time, and money!
    Yeah you might as well, quick burn them before it starts raining again!

ReputationRep:
    Queens Belfast is 32nd in the Times rankings yet my course, Electrical Engineering at this university is 13th.
    Likewise in the Guardian it is 49th, but my course is 7th.
    The prestige of the university isn't as important as the course you are attending in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr FiX-iT)
    Yeah you might as well, quick burn them before it starts raining again!
    You'd better too, there are plenty of league tables which rank Aston under 30.

It's just a ridiculous cut-off point, since plenty of good, well-respected universities rank below 30 in one league table or another. I mean, are you seriously suggesting that last year, when my university was placed something like 28th by the Guardian, that then I was having a worthwhile education - but now, since it has dropped four places, I'm wasting my time and money?

ReputationRep:
    hull:yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.