Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the lowest ranking university you would be happy to attend Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk12345)
    Best to base it on the rankings for the subject you want to study. E.g. kent might not be that high for the general rankings, but from what i can remember it was at a repectable position in the subject rankings for law.
    This is a good point. Less prestigious unis can sometimes be rated very highly for a particular subject, or subjects.

For example, Portsmouth is rated 52 overall according to The Times, but is 7th for French. I intend to apply there, so I guess that's your answer for me OP

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge :rolleyes:...silly thread really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    ..... For me it's Goldsmiths College, University of London. In my opinion that's the lowest ranking respectable university. Any university positioned below Goldsmiths e.g. City, Kent, Reading, Brunel, Nottingham Trent, De Montfont etc, etc is not worth attending.

I was just wonderering what's the lowest ranking university you would be happy to attend.
    Funnily enough I have better things to be thinking about and doing seeing as it's my summer holiday. Also I'm quite cotnent with what I'm doing with me life without the need to compare myself to others or question whether I'd prefer to be elsewhere or which is the lowest ranked university I'd attend.

I suggest you stop spending so much time on these forums and get outside get some fresh and discover that there's a whole world out there with real people. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If can't get into anything less than a top Russel Group uni my life won't be worth living and I'll just have to kill myself, I really don't see why people at lesser unis bother, might as well just give up.

ReputationRep:
    Queen mary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    Queen mary.
    You mean Bart's and the London right? Try calling it QM in front of a bunch of Bart's medics. It'd be like the BNP leader in a Mosque (ain't comign out alive). :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    You mean Bart's and the London right? Try calling it QM in front of a bunch of Bart's medics. It'd be like the BNP leader in a Mosque (ain't comign out alive). :rolleyes:
    Nope I can only dream of going to the Barts and the London SMD :p:

but going QM to study Biomedical science is another story (yes i knw they're the same Uni, but have you Seen Barts :eek: , It's like a tottally different place)

ReputationRep:
    Nope I can only dream of going to the Barts and the London SMD :p:

but going QM to study Biomedical science is another story (yes i knw they're the same Uni, but have you Seen Barts :eek: , It's like a tottally different place)
    Then don't apply for Biomed at QM. Infact don't apply for Biomed full stop.

And Yes I'm fully aware of how different Bart's and QM are. The Bart's lot on here never stop ranting on about the differences :rolleyes:

But I'm more than happy to call myself a Peninsula and an Exeter student although medical schools seem to unofficially be separate entities from their respective universities.

ReputationRep:
    Anything lower than 22

ReputationRep:
    Then don't apply for Biomed at QM. Infact don't apply for Biomed full stop.

And Yes I'm fully aware of how different Bart's and QM are. The Bart's lot on here never stop ranting on about the differences :rolleyes:

But I'm more than happy to call myself a Peninsula and an Exeter student although medical schools seem to unofficially be separate entities from their respective universities.
    If it comes down to it, I'll study Biomed and go for Graduate Entry :ninja:

Ohh right Peninsula is the medicine school of university of Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    probably like in the 30s/40s, like swansea and places like that

ReputationRep:
    Wherever I felt comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Lse.

ReputationRep:
    If it comes down to it, I'll study Biomed and go for Graduate Entry :ninja:

Ohh right Peninsula is the medicine school of university of Exeter.
    Yep Peninsula is part of the University of Exeter and also University of Plymouth but I like to dust the latter under the carpet

As for Biomed, you got to make sure you'd enjoy studying that for 3 or 4 years enough to get at least a 2:1 if not a 1st to ensure you stand a good chance of getting into graduate medicine given that it's far more competetive than the undergraduate route.

I'd also recommend if you were keen on Biomed to do it at a much better institution for that subject like Imperial College or Durham or somehwere.

Also I'd even more highly recommend you chose a subject like Pharmacy as your insurance for Medicine as Pharmacy can offer you excellent job prospects andgood money whilst being a good degree to have studied prior to graduate medicine. You could also earn money by locuming whilst you're doing Grad Med and the extra money would come in handy.

But just work hard to try and get in via the undergrad route first.

ReputationRep:
    Yep Peninsula is part of the University of Exeter and also University of Plymouth but I like to dust the latter under the carpet

As for Biomed, you got to make sure you'd enjoy studying that for 3 or 4 years enough to get at least a 2:1 if not a 1st to ensure you stand a good chance of getting into graduate medicine given that it's far more competetive than the undergraduate route.

I'd also recommend if you were keen on Biomed to do it at a much better institution for that subject like Imperial College or Durham or somehwere.

Also I'd even more highly recommend you chose a subject like Pharmacy as your insurance for Medicine as Pharmacy can offer you excellent job prospects andgood money whilst being a good degree to have studied prior to graduate medicine. You could also earn money by locuming whilst you're doing Grad Med and the extra money would come in handy.

But just work hard to try and get in via the undergrad route first.
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm hoping to also apply to UCL for Biomed aswell (possible 2010 choices are in my sig), but i never knew pharmacy could be an undergraduate course for med...I've always thought Biomed is the ideal choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm hoping to also apply to UCL for Biomed aswell (possible 2010 choices are in my sig), but i never knew pharmacy could be an undergraduate course for med...I've always thought Biomed is the ideal choice.
    To be fair a lot of medical school graduate entry programmes stipulate your first degree could be in absolutely anything but these places might ask you to sit the GAMSAT aswell.

Pharmacy is a life-science/health related course and many of the principles of pharmacology are covered in Medicine which is a bonus.

Pharmacy would give you better prospects than a Biomed degree in the event you failed to get a place into graduate medicine. The problem with Biomed is that too many universities offer the course so if your degree was from a highly regarded university for that subject would it be worthwhile. Also too many candidates offer Biomed as their first degree for graduate medicine. offering something different like Pharmacy would make you stand out in addition to the fact that it is allied to Medicine and you would have some experience of a hospital or community setting (albeit not in a clinical role).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayyleyy)
    This thread will just make some people feel rubbish. My firm is birmingham, my insurance birmingham city. I chose both because they offer the course I have my heart set on studying.

Regardless of what anyone says, any degree is better than no degree, for the knowledge and life experiences you gain. Attending oxford/cambridge does not make you a better/more intelligent than anyone else. Grades are not a measure of intelligence, and if attending somewhere like this would mean being surrounded by and becoming a snob, I would rather go to the lowest ranked uni there is.
    What she said, wise girl above speaks sense, listen to her.

Im going Leicester, but choosing Leicester doesnt mean that De Montfort is worse. Someone else said Kent, yes Kent isnt that high up generally but it has one of the best Law departments in the country. Also look at Surrey like Kent not that high up, but its employment prospects are also one of the best in the country.

League tables sometimes means jack all, but Im a bit of a hypocrite, cos I did base my decision on league tables, but Im wiser now and know league tables shouldnt dictate my life.

But the lowest I would go to would be Greenwich, London South Bank or London Metropolitan :eek: so I would go to every single uni in the league table

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    De Montfort, probably. Lower unis get my funding (it seems), and DMU is going up.
    How is it going up?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair a lot of medical school graduate entry programmes stipulate your first degree could be in absolutely anything but these places might ask you to sit the GAMSAT aswell.

Pharmacy is a life-science/health related course and many of the principles of pharmacology are covered in Medicine which is a bonus.

Pharmacy would give you better prospects than a Biomed degree in the event you failed to get a place into graduate medicine. The problem with Biomed is that too many universities offer the course so if your degree was from a highly regarded university for that subject would it be worthwhile. Also too many candidates offer Biomed as their first degree for graduate medicine. offering something different like Pharmacy would make you stand out in addition to the fact that it is allied to Medicine and you would have some experience of a hospital or community setting (albeit not in a clinical role).
    This sounds quite interesting, I've always had pharmacy in the back of my head but never knew it could be a safer way to medicine than Biomed. I'll take a look at some courses, I hope there's some Uni's in London doing Pharmacy BSc's.

Looking at UCL there's Medicinal Chemistry ,Pharmacology and Biomedical science. Could all three link you to medicine?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.