Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the lowest ranking university you would be happy to attend Watch

ReputationRep:
    my insurance, Bangor probably. I wouldn't rule out going anywhere else though if it was good for the course I wanna do.

ReputationRep:
    Harvard (possibly Yale)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    Harvard (possibly Yale)
    :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Anywhere, if the course/location was right.

ReputationRep:
    In UK it would have to be Bradford University.
    In the US, it's probably UC San Diego.
    In Southeast Asia, it's NUS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing City would be the point where I decide I won't look any further.
    Granted I'm also looking into Bangor, but it's mostly because it's well known for psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by hayyleyy
    This thread will just make some people feel rubbish. My firm is birmingham, my insurance birmingham city. I chose both because they offer the course I have my heart set on studying.

Regardless of what anyone says, any degree is better than no degree, for the knowledge and life experiences you gain.

yeah i second that!
    people really wind me up on here sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    I dont think league tables are any good! If you like the university and it has the perfect course fo you then why worry what other people will think? For instance, if you like Brookes uni go for it, it doesn't matter if it isn't "high" class or whatever

Go for the course right for you!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would attend any university where I thought I would be happy with the course/place/opportunities etc. So, if that ended up being the lowest ranked university in the country [in whatever table/opinion] so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayyleyy)
    Regardless of what anyone says, any degree is better than no degree, for the knowledge and life experiences you gain. Attending oxford/cambridge does not make you a better/more intelligent than anyone else. Grades are not a measure of intelligence, and if attending somewhere like this would mean being surrounded by and becoming a snob, I would rather go to the lowest ranked uni there is.
    I think that attending Oxbridge does make you more intelligent than the average person. Not everyone, no, but the average person. Grades are a reasonable measure of knowledge, which is a reasonable measure of intelligence. Not a perfect measure no, and I don't tend to measure intelligence on the qualification a person has, but it is a good indicator. There are a few snobby people at Oxbridge but the majority are just normal people from all sorts of backgrounds.

And I think it's absolutely absurd just to do a degree for the life experiences. Do something cheaper. Any degree is not always better than no degree. I have a group of friends who have graduated this year from a reasonably bad University finding that their degree is serving them use at all, and they're starting at the same point on the 'ladder' as they would have done without the degree - so why did the spend so much time, money and stress? Better not to if you don't need to.

As for University - for medicine I'd get down on my knees and thank god that I've got in anywhere. For science I'd like to aim for the top 15ish, but I don't think there are 5 in the top 15 that do one of the courses I'd use as my backup.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to go to Chester, but that's because I live next to Chester.

ReputationRep:
    For medicine, just about anywhere. Otherwise, if I said I'd consider going to a supposed lower-ranking university (awesome course/facilities/opportunities and all), I'd probably be lying. Granted some (like my local uni) have pockets of brilliance though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I think that attending Oxbridge does make you more intelligent than the average person. Not everyone, no, but the average person. Grades are a reasonable measure of knowledge, which is a reasonable measure of intelligence. Not a perfect measure no, and I don't tend to measure intelligence on the qualification a person has, but it is a good indicator. There are a few snobby people at Oxbridge but the majority are just normal people from all sorts of backgrounds.

And I think it's absolutely absurd just to do a degree for the life experiences. Do something cheaper. Any degree is not always better than no degree. I have a group of friends who have graduated this year from a reasonably bad University finding that their degree is serving them use at all, and they're starting at the same point on the 'ladder' as they would have done without the degree - so why did the spend so much time, money and stress? Better not to if you don't need to.

As for University - for medicine I'd get down on my knees and thank god that I've got in anywhere. For science I'd like to aim for the top 15ish, but I don't think there are 5 in the top 15 that do one of the courses I'd use as my backup.
    Just what I was about to write, rep for you.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge but possibly if I had to would go to that scabby Imperial College instead.

ReputationRep:
    But it all depends on whether that uni is good for your course surely - for example there might be a mid-low ranking uni that has an excellent reputation in the subject your studying.

ReputationRep:
    The lowest ranking uni I applied to was Manchester, which The Times Good University Guide ranks at 24 this year overall, and 15 for my subject. If I hadn't have gotten into the others I applied to, I would have gone. At the time, I ended up really not liking it (but realised after my offer came through), but in hindsight, if I had ended up there, I probably would have really enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    You'd better too, there are plenty of league tables which rank Aston under 30.

It's just a ridiculous cut-off point, since plenty of good, well-respected universities rank below 30 in one league table or another. I mean, are you seriously suggesting that last year, when my university was placed something like 28th by the Guardian, that then I was having a worthwhile education - but now, since it has dropped four places, I'm wasting my time and money?
    There may be one or two tables ranking Aston uni below 30 but in most tables Aston is doing pretty well.

Besides you choose where to study based on reputation!

P.S. You look mighty fine in your profile pic....perhaps you'd like to discuss this topic over dinner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Funnily enough I have better things to be thinking about and doing seeing as it's my summer holiday. Also I'm quite cotnent with what I'm doing with me life without the need to compare myself to others or question whether I'd prefer to be elsewhere or which is the lowest ranked university I'd attend.

I suggest you stop spending so much time on these forums and get outside get some fresh and discover that there's a whole world out there with real people. :rolleyes:
    Yes, that's why I went out last night into town with my mates for a few beers and a laugh.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths is 46...
    man some people on here have a huge egos or what!

goldsmiths is my first choice because well its the 8th top in the country for media and communication.. the top in london in fact if you don't include queen mary ( as there media course is actually a computing thing)

Gosh..
    I think going onto higher education is better then anything a lot of people mess up in there young days and want to make ameds but cuz they don't have the grades they can't go to these "elite" unis.. and i really hate the word elite cuz so many people think there better just cuz there at a place with a name at the end of the day its all about working hard and making sure its right for you, and if the course is well known at the uni but the uni not generally then so be it.

And half the time these "elite" unis don't offer the course i'm after so there are reasons why i choose to apply to lower ranked unis!

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr FiX-iT)
    There may be one or two tables ranking Aston uni below 30 but in most tables Aston is doing pretty well.

Besides you choose where to study based on reputation!

P.S. You look mighty fine in your profile pic....perhaps you'd like to discuss this topic over dinner?
    league tables fluctuate and change so much over such a short space of time, and the difference between one league table to the other can be huge - my university is sixth in one league table, and then about 24th in another.

I'd hope that most people wouldn't choose where to study based on reputation, it's certainly not important when you consider how much league tables change.

P.S. no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.