Turn on thread page Beta

Able to deadlift, not squat watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had a long-standing problem with my right knee for almost 2 years now. Squatting used to aggrevate it (I got the form down correctly, but I think the problem originally began because my form was off and I did 1/2 squats - I changed to A2G about 6 months ago) so I would stop for weeks at the time to allow it to recover.

More recently though the problem has got worse and it's been causing pain on movement and prolonged immobilisation (makes distance driving horrible). Anyway, the point is I can't squat for the forseeable, not until it gets better or I get some physio on the NHS and they advise me.

I continue to deadlift however, which I enjoy doing. The problem is - will this cause my hams to appear much bigger than my quads and glutes over time and cause me difficulties due to disproportionate strength in my legs?

Also, any advise on how to train my glutes without putting strain on my knees? I realise this is impossible for my quads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio)
    I continue to deadlift however, which I enjoy doing. The problem is - will this cause my hams to appear much bigger than my quads and glutes over time and cause me difficulties due to disproportionate strength in my legs?

Also, any advise on how to train my glutes without putting strain on my knees? I realise this is impossible for my quads.
    It is unlikely your hams will appear much bigger than your quads and glutes over time, so keep deadlifting if you enjoy it. It shouldn't cause you any difficulties.

There's no easy way to train your glutes without aggravating your knees somewhat unfortunately.

At least you don't have lower back issues, I can't squat or deadlift because of it.

Hope your knee feels better soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio)
    I've had a long-standing problem with my right knee for almost 2 years now. Squatting used to aggrevate it (I got the form down correctly, but I think the problem originally began because my form was off and I did 1/2 squats - I changed to A2G about 6 months ago) so I would stop for weeks at the time to allow it to recover.

More recently though the problem has got worse and it's been causing pain on movement and prolonged immobilisation (makes distance driving horrible). Anyway, the point is I can't squat for the forseeable, not until it gets better or I get some physio on the NHS and they advise me.

Ask Real Rippetoe at strengthmill. He's good at figuring this stuff out. But you'd have to give a lot more detailed information on the injury and would need to see a video. If you haven't already video'd yourself squatting, then you need to. Just do body squats at first and see what they look like.

He's quoted for saying:

"Yes, if you squat wrong it will **** things up. If you squat correctly, those same ****ed up things will unf*** themselves."

Wise words.

Keep deadlifting.

ReputationRep:
    Does the problem with your squatting only occur when you're squatting A2G? If your knees will let you squat to parallel, you have no reason not to squat.

ReputationRep:
    Physio costs about £30 just go get it done privatly

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.