Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear all, I'm currently in my last year of the LL.B Program in the Netherlands. My Program is focused on Comparative Law and thus I had the opportunity to get to know the common law system a bit, which got me interested in pursuing a LPC. However, my academic advisor discouraged me from applying, because apparently International Students have major difficulties getting a contract with a good law firm afterwards.While I agree that British law students, who have completed their undergraduate studies in the UK have an advantage because they studied the common law system more than students from abroad, I can't imagine that International students are being discriminated upon, since the LPC enables to further the knowledge in common law for both British and International Students.
    I would be very grateful to hear your opinions about this. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    You will probably have to take the GDL as well as the LPC. This can be expensive. However, I think you would be unlikely to be discriminated against. The GDL will give you a very solid grounding in English law, and your knowledge of comparitive law would make you desirable for many law firms.

An alternative would be to qualify in the Netherlands and later try to get a job in England by taking the QLTT (Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test).

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but any LL.B is recognized in Europe as a qualifying law degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JiangYu)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but any LL.B is recognized in Europe as a qualifying law degree?
    I don't actually know whether its the case, but I think it would be very unlikely - Equity/Trusts is one of the mandatory subjects for a qualifying law degree; but no other European legal system has trusts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.