Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fearing the baggage carousel watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm off on holiday tomorrow and I dunno if it's just me but I absolutely hate giving my luggage in and watching it disappear and not knowing if it's getting on the right plane etc. I'm always so terrified of my baggage being lost. I get so anxious watching the baggage carousel lol, does anyone else get this or am I just a weirdo who needs to relax.

ReputationRep:
    Weirdo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveo92)
    Weirdo.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISGykO6Z7U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimbobanage)
    I was at Amsterdam airport the other week and there's no seperate check in desks for each airline, just several generic places to drop your bags no matter which flight you're on.

I couldn't help being a bit worried I wouldn't see my stuff again considering how busy that place is haha

ReputationRep:
    haha know what you mean, can be concerning if it takes a while for your bag to appear!

Wouldn't worry though, will probably never happen

ReputationRep:
    Well sometimes I do wonder if my baggage will be lost again, but I don't really worry that much. Its happened loads of times to me but I don't mind that much because its always found quite soon.

ReputationRep:
    Don't keep anything valuable in check-in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Don't keep anything valuable in check-in!
    Lol I couldn't possibly take all my clothes in hand luggage unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I was once a baggage handler. Don't be one of the first to check in as this might mean your bag is put on the wrong flight by accident, although this is rare as they are often found by the people who load them onto planes.

Also don't make your bag so heavy that it has to go via another bag drop with the other heavy bags/golf clubs/surf boards etc as this might lead to it being left behind. (This happens quite a bit)

ReputationRep:
    If the airport is really busy baggage handlers become complacent and stop checking what they are doing.. Don't fly at peak times!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    I was once a baggage handler. Don't be one of the first to check in as this might mean your bag is put on the wrong flight by accident, although this is rare as they are often found by the people who load them onto planes.

Also don't make your bag so heavy that it has to go via another bag drop with the other heavy bags/golf clubs/surf boards etc as this might lead to it being left behind. (This happens quite a bit)
    Thanks for that
    Do you mean heavy as in over their limit or just at the top end of the limit?

ReputationRep:
    Baggage claim is the most terrifying part of any flight for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caw123)
    God I know, if it's not out in 5 mins I start worrying. It's a nightmare being me lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that
    Do you mean heavy as in over their limit or just at the top end of the limit?
    Over the limit. It's ok if it goes the normal way where you check in. If they ask you to take your bag elsewhere it's pretty bad. I don't actually know what happens at large airports, so its probably different. But anyway, there are lots of checks so you shouldn't really worry. For example, they remove the sticker on the label and put it on a chart which then has to tally with the number of people who checked in with bags. So they know if they are under of over. The plane won't fly if its over, but it may fly if its under. Over usually means there are bags on the truck which shouldn't be there! The worst thing that can happen is a double mistake where a bag is switched with another bag on a different flight. This is very rare though as baggage handlers will check the stickers at the end one by one.

I've often had to climb on trucks with 150 bags on looking for one bag which is usually right at the bottom! It pisses me off when people leave medication in bags so I have to look for it which takes ages!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caw123)
    Yeah, I don't have much faith in it after all that I've seen! I've had to follow the paths of complacent baggage handlers who make mistakes every ten minutes to check on there bags and tags whilst doing my own bags. The amount of bags I've rescued, probably up there in the hundreds..

ReputationRep:
    Lol I couldn't possibly take all my clothes in hand luggage unfortunately
    Then you are taking too many cloths

But seriously, how much are your clothes worth lol?

ReputationRep:
    My suitcase was left in Spain when i flew back to England hahaha. I was only about 12...

Got delivered the next day to my house!

-

ReputationRep:
    They're blatantly going to target you specifically, Mimbo. :tongue:

We had a really bad incident but to make you feel more relaxed, I'm not going to go into it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I find the baggage checkout and pickup the most anxious time of the whole holiday haha. Your not weird!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.