Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8177561.stm

This is a joke. It's embarrassing.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Terrible news.

Good thing is that it looks like he can still appeal. Just hope that he wins the appeal and can stand trial here in the UK.

It's bad for two reasons if he is sent to the US - one that is sets a dangerous precident for what you do online - do something online from your own home and it opens the door for any country in the world who doesn't like what you do or any country in which a computer you interact with is located to ask for you to be sent to them for trial.

The other is that is I seriously doubt his disability/problems will be fairly considered and looked in to at a trial in the US. Not to mention the whole idea of being sent over there will be seriously bad for him.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why people are concerned, but what punishment would they think fits the crime? Or would they rather he went unpunished?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Terrible news.

Good thing is that it looks like he can still appeal. Just hope that he wins the appeal and can stand trial here in the UK.

It's bad for two reasons if he is sent to the US - one that is sets a dangerous precident for what you do online - do something online from your own home and it opens the door for any country in the world who doesn't like what you do or any country in which a computer you interact with is located to ask for you to be sent to them for trial.

The other is that is I seriously doubt his disability/problems will be fairly considered and looked in to at a trial in the US. Not to mention the whole idea of being sent over there will be seriously bad for him.
    I agree. The health implication is what's bothering me the most.

I'm not 100% sure but I think if he was found guilty here, he would recieve a minimal jail sentence compared to up to 70 years in the US.

The US will use him as a propaganda tool to hide the fact that McKinnon managed to break into their servers in the first place. As far as I know, he didn't even do too much damage anyway.

That plus the facts entailed in the BBC link about the US honouring 70% of our extradition requests as compared to our 90% honoured.

Ludicrious. It's plain pandering on our part to the big bad USA.
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I can understand why people are concerned, but what punishment would they think fits the crime? Or would they rather he went unpunished?
    I think that potentially going to prison for 70 years in a foreign country is a ridiculous punishment which doesn't fit the crime at all.

Murderers don't even really serve that.

I am not saying that he shouldn't be punished or even that he shouldn't go to prison just that if it does happen it should happen here (as he is a british citizen and was here when he committed the crime) and definitely shouldn't be 70 years.

ReputationRep:
    Err he's obviously a dangerous terrorist who needs life without parole.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    If anything the US want to make an example of him to cover up their embarassment for their ***** secuirty they had in their computer systems.

There ought to be some big protest to protect him to stop anyone getting near him so they can't take him out of the UK. If there were a couple of thousand people surrounding him constantly then no way would they be able to get to him to take him away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think that potentially going to prison for 70 years in a foreign country is a ridiculous punishment which doesn't fit the crime at all.

Murderers don't even really serve that.

I am not saying that he shouldn't be punished or even that he shouldn't go to prison just that if it does happen it should happen here (as he is a british citizen and was here when he committed the crime) and definitely shouldn't be 70 years.
    I agree that 70 years for hackers is too long. I'm not sure on legal proceedings so I am not sure how long would be best but I don't think he should go unpunished or given special treatment.

Plus you never know, if he did go over to the US and if he is sentenced, they might not put him in an ordinary prison.

(Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Err he's obviously a dangerous terrorist who needs life without parole.
    He hacked into US Government area's where there are probably a considerable amount of classified material, so he should probably be punished somehow.

ReputationRep:
    I wish he had saved some of the UFO stuff he claimed to have seen.

ReputationRep:
    He hacked into US Government area's where there are probably a considerable amount of classified material, so he should probably be punished somehow.
    Didn't he just use default passwords? I cant remember. Anyway the gov just want to try and blow it out of proportion to coverup their embarrasment. If anything they should be thankful that it was him that did it and not somone genuinely malicious.

... although the real reason they're so concerned is because he found proof of Extra Terrestrial activity :woo:

They should give him a job :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This will be tantamount to torture for him. I think it's extremely likely there was no malicious intent at all, he was just interested. Such is Asperger's.

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm probably going to be the only one who agrees with this.

Why should he be allowed to get away with it just because he has aspergers? If it was someone else without a disability you would probably all be saying that he should face trial over there, so why should it be any different for him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadel_L)
    I think i'm probably going to be the only one who agrees with this.

Why should he be allowed to get away with it just because he has aspergers? If it was someone else without a disability you would probably all be saying that he should face trial over there, so why should it be any different for him?
    Because it's a psychological (neurological?) thing; his take on the whole series of events will be radically different from an NT person's.

ReputationRep:
    Has the US provided evidence of this damage he supposedly did costing $800,000, because as far as I knew he hadn't really done much but freak out some workers. They may have had to spend that much updating their security, but that's really their own fault. And as for the sentence in general it feels as if they are sentencing him for being a potential malicious hacker, which is similar to sentencing a man who gets into a fight with a murder charge because he's a potential murderer.

ReputationRep:
    Why should he be allowed to get away with it just because he has aspergers?
    Because he has aspergers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Didn't he just use default passwords? I cant remember. Anyway the gov just want to try and blow it out of proportion to coverup their embarrasment. If anything they should be thankful that it was him that did it and not somone genuinely malicious.

... although the real reason they're so concerned is because he found proof of Extra Terrestrial activity :woo:
    Default or null passwords. IIRC, he used a simple perl script to try them and managed to get into many servers containing classified materials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Because it's a psychological (neurological?) thing; his take on the whole series of events will be radically different from an NT person's.
    So all disabled people should be exempt from the law just because their take on things are different to others? Doesn't sound very fair to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Default or null passwords. IIRC, he used a simple perl script to try them and managed to get into many servers containing classified materials.
    Exactly it's not like he evn actually hacked anything. I bet he was surprised he got in.

ReputationRep:
    So all disabled people should be exempt from the law just because their take on things are different to others? Doesn't sound very fair to me.
    Whatever he did, there was almost certainly no malicious intent whatsoever. Also, he probably risks severe mental health problems (including depression and suicide) should this punishment go through. It is a farce.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.