Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's like 'electronic tresspassing' where he walked up to the gate and just tried loads of keys until it ulocked it and maybe whilst he was there he trood on some daffodils.

its not like he blew open the wall of a house and set fire to its contents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Maybe they wouldn't. Maybe they would. Want to take the risk? Or would you rather be happier knowing that if you broke laws you'd stand trial in the UK.

And how can you say he commited a serious, serious crime? He may well have hacked in to the defense computer, but what he did was hardly serious. For it to be serious, we there needs to have been malicious intent. For it to be serious, there needs to have been serious concequecnes.

No one has any evidence as far as I can see for malicious intent.
    The concequences as far as I can see are only that a weakness in the computer systems was shown and has now been fixed.

Yes, a crime may well have been commited (whilst he was in the in the UK, no less) but it's certainly not a 'serious, serious crime' as you mentioned. Don't try to dramatise parts of this story which clearly are not dramatic. The actual wrong doing here is acutally quite minor and actually just goes to highlight how disproportionate the effect this could have on one mans live and how disproportionate the efforts the US are going to to get him and also how disproportionate the threads of the jail term are and how disproportionate the risks to this mans health are all compared to the actual wrong doing.
    He didn't commit a crime against the UK he committed a crime against the US, and nothing he did contravenes with the Extradition Treaty of 2003 - therefore the UK has no right to refuse his extradition.

Are you saying that he had no intent when he spent 2 years hacking into the most secure website in the world? The guy cost the US taxpayer $800,000, he intentionally breached US national security information that could easily be handed out to any individual or group that wants to hurt US national interest. If you do not think it is a crime then so be it, let the courts deal with it. Cyber wars a new element of warfare, N Korea has been trying to break S Korea's internet connection - if N Korea succeeds it will damage S Korea's economy greatly. Cyber Wars are a serious threat.

He hacked into National security, it is a serious crime. Just because he is British or has Aspergers does not deter from the seriousness of the crime - but the Aspergers should be taken into account during the sentencing.

He committed a crime and should not be released just because supposedly 'it was not serious,' - that is for the courts to decide. When did anyone ever say he was going to get 70 years? That is the maximum but it is very unlikely - even if he did not have Asbergers. I bet you would be less interested or against his extradition if it was to say France or Germany instead of the US.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sick of this Country pandering to the US Gary clearly means no harm to US security.
    Someone should organise a march or demonstration in London. I bet a hell of a lot of people would attend.

ReputationRep:
    We don´t allow muslim extremists to be extradited to their home countries to face charges of terrorism because it infringes their human rights, but we can extradite a man with asperger´s syndrome to America who hacked into some military websites looking for info on UFOs.

It just shows how our politicians like lubing up their backsides and taking a big american **** up there.
    If it was any other country asking for his extradition we would have told them to piss off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)

Are you saying that he had no intent when he spent 2 years hacking into the most secure website in the world? The guy cost the US taxpayer $800,000, he intentionally breached US national security information that could easily be handed out to any individual or group that wants to hurt US national interest. .
    both debatable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie4life)
    I'm so sick of this Country pandering to the US Gary clearly means no harm to US security.
    Someone should organise a march or demonstration in London. I bet a hell of a lot of people would attend.
    I certainly would.

Alan Johnson, I am disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    both debatable
    First one debatable second one only debatable if you disagree with the BBC website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    What if you posted up images which were illegal in Canada (which may or may not be legal in the UK). Should Canada be able to prosecute you for posting those images up from your home in the UK on to a UK website which just happens to be hosted in Canada?

By your line of argument you should be procesucted by Canada if they wish to pursue it and potenitally risk being sent over to Canada to stand trial (assuming those images are serious enough to warrant that). Surely as the crime was commited by you from within the UK when you were in the UK, then any consequences of that should be dealt with within the UK.
    It's actually (whether rigt or wrong) a standard part of international law that countries have boundless legal jurisdition - it's how we have laws against training to be a terrorost in Afghanistan or for it to be illegal to join another countries army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    First one debatable second one only debatable if you disagree with the BBC website.
    the expenses is the sort of thing that i'll have to see to believe, so far they havent been very specific as to where the money has gone.
    and how a stoner with aspergers managed to hack what should be the most secure cyberspace in the world(if there really were aliens and stuff) i will never know

ReputationRep:
    Why are some of you crying so hard about his extradition?

Some of your ignorance regarding Aspergers syndrom is astounding. It doesn't turn you into some naive person who can't understand basic law. For a long period of time he was hacking into America's defense network.

How absolutely stupid can you be?

He broke the law and now he's crying because now he's got to face the reprecussions.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadel_L)
    How do you know for sure that it wasn't his intention? What person is going to admit to wanting to cause damage, even he knew how stupid that would have been.

That happens to every person who is extradited so he can't use that as an arguement.
    Did you watch the video? Besides, think about it! His aim was to expose a coverup of free energy technology. He didn't want to cause any damage because is aim was to snoop around undetected. He wouldn't be able to find anything if they found him, or how he got in.

ReputationRep:
    I think the ignorance is the States wanting to send him to Prison for sentences that not even some murderers get. I wouldn't be surprised if he would end up being sentenced to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    He didn't hack a website. He hacked a government network.

And the US has not (to my knowledge) provided a breakdown of the costs that they've supposedly incurred by the "damage" caused by McKinnon. All we have is the US Government's word on this "cost".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I can understand why people are concerned, but what punishment would they think fits the crime? Or would they rather he went unpunished?
    Yes, I'd rather he went unpunished.

In fact, he should be given a damned medal for making the Americans look like even bigger morons than usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    He didn't hack a website. He hacked a government network.

And the US has not (to my knowledge) provided a breakdown of the costs that they've supposedly incurred by the "damage" caused by McKinnon. All we have is the US Government's word on this "cost".
    He hacked a government network, that is a crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    the expenses is the sort of thing that i'll have to see to believe, so far they havent been very specific as to where the money has gone.
    and how a stoner with aspergers managed to hack what should be the most secure cyberspace in the world(if there really were aliens and stuff) i will never know
    Well fortunately one of the best legal systems in the world will be able to judge his sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    They should give him a job :yep:
    This.

They should see if he's any good then hire him for MI or something, sending a clear "up yours" to the USA.

ReputationRep:
    All I know is the UK govt are missing a trick not employing him. And to all those who have said he hacked into a government network so therefore its a crime then I'm pretty sure national 'intelligence' agencies like the FBI etc should be up for a ******** of charges.

The Americans should really have no right to extradite him, he commited the crime in the UK, and to be honest they're lucky it wasn't someone that meant actual harm.

Utter bull.
    (We wont let Russia take Lugovoy, accused of murder! but US can take McKinnon..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onion Terror)
    That interview shows you what he did and how he did it, pretty interesting.

He did it all with a commercial program that lets you access a computer remotely, and just used a perl script to find empty passwords.
    Looks like the Americans are embarrassed more than anything else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Looks like the Americans are embarrassed more than anything else...
    And so they bloody should be

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.