Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    He hacked a government network, that is a crime.
    Wow... your powers of deduction astound me.

:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianeh)
    All I know is the UK govt are missing a trick not employing him.
    The UK govt. will have much, much better hackers than Gary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    The UK govt. will have much, much better hackers than Gary.
    Precisely what I meant in the next part of my post about agencies like FBI etc, probably not clear though. But that's all 'legal' hacking, yeah..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Wow... your powers of deduction astound me.

:shifty:
    Your powers of deduction don't impress me.

He commits a crime but should not be brought to court and sentenced. :rolleyes: Let the courts make a ruling on his case, he committed a crime and should be brought before a court - let them sentence him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    We don´t allow muslim extremists to be extradited to their home countries to face charges of terrorism because it infringes their human rights, but we can extradite a man with asperger´s syndrome to America who hacked into some military websites looking for info on UFOs.

It just shows how our politicians like lubing up their backsides and taking a big american **** up there.
    If it was any other country asking for his extradition we would have told them to piss off.
    ^^ Truth.

The fact is, while it is legally 'right' for Gary to be extradited, it's diabolical that the UK has to pander to the US in such a way. It's clear that our friends across the pond are just seeking to avoid total embarrassment by making this guy seem like a supser-duper-mini-Hitler intent on destroying all that the US stands for, dawn's early light and all.

It's a joke. There is no way we can justify sending him over based on some of the talk coming out of the US. The guy, while not technically being 'unfairly trialled', will be made an example of. It is both unfair and dangerous, given his mental condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    ^^ Truth.

The fact is, while it is legally 'right' for Gary to be extradited, it's diabolical that the UK has to pander to the US in such a way. It's clear that our friends across the pond are just seeking to avoid total embarrassment by making this guy seem like a supser-duper-mini-Hitler intent on destroying all that the US stands for, dawn's early light and all.

It's a joke. There is no way we can justify sending him over based on some of the talk coming out of the US. The guy, while not technically being 'unfairly trialled', will be made an example of. It is both unfair and dangerous, given his mental condition.
    He broke US laws, and unlawfully invaded US property. Why exactly should we stop him from being extradited?

And his mental condition? Do you even know what Aspergers is?

Edit: That's a rhetorical question, since you clearly don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    He broke US laws, and unlawfully invaded US property. Why exactly should we stop him from being extradited?

And his mental condition? Do you even know what Aspergers is?

Edit: That's a rhetorical question, since you clearly don't.
    Wow. Just wow.

As a person with an autistic brother, I can safely assume that I have a fair idea on what a person suffering with Asperger's is probably like. Perhaps it's you who doesn't know? I think the part that appeals to repetitive or obsessive behaviour is likely to indicate why he did what he did?

My point is simple. It is clear that this guy is only being so ruthlessly tailed by the US because they are so thoroughly embarrassed that some nobody from the UK got into their servers. They need to make an example of him.

He's likely to suffer if sent to the US for trial and punishment. Due to the obvious divergence between UK and US law in terms of the crime he has committed, coupled with his medical condition and the fact that he didn't even cause that much damage in the first place, I don't think he should be extradited.

Plus, the fact is that the US have acknowledged 70% of our extradition requests while we have acknowledged 90%. We need to stop letting them screw with us.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just wow.

As a person with an autistic brother, I can safely assume that I have a fair idea on what a person suffering with Asperger's is probably like. Perhaps it's you who doesn't know? I think the part that appeals to repetitive or obsessive behaviour is likely to indicate why he did what he did?

Lmao no, why would that explain it?

My point is simple. It is clear that this guy is only being so ruthlessly tailed by the US because they are so thoroughly embarrassed that some nobody from the UK got into their servers. They need to make an example of him.

So? Did he not hack in?

He's likely to suffer if sent to the US for trial and punishment. Due to the obvious divergence between UK and US law in terms of the crime he has committed, coupled with his medical condition and the fact that he didn't even cause that much damage in the first place, I don't think he should be extradited.

He caused over a $700,000 worth of damage, actually.

Plus, the fact is that the US have acknowledged 70% of our extradition requests while we have acknowledged 90%. We need to stop letting them screw with us.

What does that tell you? Their requests might have been mass murderers and ours might have stolen a jumper from walmart. Completely useless statistic.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...kend7.weekend2

He sure sounds like he's 'mentally ill.'

Convenient excuse. "Oh I'm mentally ill, I couldn't possibly have any idea what I was doing, it's everybody's fault but my own."

ReputationRep:
    Because they're about to lock him up for a minimum of 60 years for hacking into computers that had no passwords on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Because they're about to lock him up for a minimum of 60 years for hacking into computers that had no passwords on them.
    That's a rumour/exaggeration made by people who apparently can't come up with a decent argument which is actually true.

He broke in to over 100 networks. Some of them had general passwords. He used password crackers and wrote his own password harvesting scripts.

ReputationRep:
    He caused over a $1,000,000 worth of damage, actually.
    says who? the american government.
    That's a rumour/exaggeration made by people who apparently can't come up with a decent argument which is actually true.
    exageration? the figure of the damage he caused increases everytime i hear it $700000, $80000 now $1 mil, if the damage was that black and white where have all these imaginary figures come from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    says who? the american government.

That sums up your argument very nicely. You trust the word of one man over the entire US government. Stop crying because a brit is going down. Would you like to know why I don't hack US security networks? I'll give you 3 guesses.

exageration? the figure of the damage he caused increases everytime i hear it $700000, $80000 now $1 mil, if the damage was that black and white where have all these imaginary figures come from
    The media...

And it was $700,000, I was thinking of the court costs to taxpayers.

ReputationRep:

He broke in to over 100 networks. Some of them had general passwords. He used password crackers and wrote his own password harvesting scripts.

Hmm. This has already been posted, you seem to have ignored it.

Also, I like the way you were earlier arguing that he's not mentally ill because of one article, when the National Autistic Society is arguing against this decision... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)

Hmm. This has already been posted, you seem to have ignored it.

Also, I like the way you were earlier arguing that he's not mentally ill because of one article, when the National Autistic Society is arguing against this decision... :rolleyes:
    Of course they are. What else would they do? Send one of their own off to America?

And excuse me for not reading every single page of every single thread I post in.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they are. What else would they do? Send one of their own off to America?

And excuse me for not reading every single page of every single thread I post in.
    It's not a nationalist organisation, but a national one. There's a difference. Now, since you agree that he has AS, you'll surely understand that it can lead to highly obsessive behaviour? Also an aversion (worse than normal) to change?

Besides which, the Americans still need to come up with evidence of these damages... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's not a nationalist organisation, but a national one. There's a difference. Now, since you agree that he has AS, you'll surely understand that it can lead to highly obsessive behaviour? Also an aversion (worse than normal) to change?

Besides which, the Americans still need to come up with evidence of these damages... :rolleyes:
    Of course I understand that. But to put his actions down to Aspergers is complete rubbish.

Why does it condone his actions? He knows the law.

As I've said before it's the oh so common "well I knew I was breaking the law, but I'm mentally ill so you can't punish me" argument. Bull.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I understand that. But to put his actions down to Aspergers is complete rubbish.

Why does it condone his actions? He knows the law.

As I've said before it's the oh so common "well I knew I was breaking the law, but I'm mentally ill so you can't punish me" argument. Bull.
    Of course he knows the law - he's just so obsessed with finding this UFO stuff that he doesn't think about it; it's the sort of thing that is typical of a 'sufferer'. No-one is saying he shouldn't be punished (except him, probably :p: ), only that the extradition to America would be torturous for him. Also, as I say, we're still waiting on proof from over the pond...

ReputationRep:
    I agree. The health implication is what's bothering me the most.

I'm not 100% sure but I think if he was found guilty here, he would recieve a minimal jail sentence compared to up to 70 years in the US.

The US will use him as a propaganda tool to hide the fact that McKinnon managed to break into their servers in the first place. As far as I know, he didn't even do too much damage anyway.

That plus the facts entailed in the BBC link about the US honouring 70% of our extradition requests as compared to our 90% honoured.

Ludicrious. It's plain pandering on our part to the big bad USA.

I agree. We are the USA's ***** sadly.

ReputationRep:
    Of course he knows the law - he's just so obsessed with finding this UFO stuff that he doesn't think about it; it's the sort of thing that is typical of a 'sufferer'. No-one is saying he shouldn't be punished (except him, probably :p: ), only that the extradition to America would be torturous for him. Also, as I say, we're still waiting on proof from over the pond...
    Actually, he absolutely agrees that he should get punished. However, he argues both against the 60-100 years (varies according to different sources) maximum prison time and the fact he should be tried in Britain as the crime was committed on British soil. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    Actually, he absolutely agrees that he should get punished. However, he argues both against the 60-100 years (varies according to different sources) maximum prison time and the fact he should be tried in Britain as the crime was committed on British soil. :yes:
    Yes yes, I was joking :P Plus he mentions the lack of evidence for the American claims. Did I mention the Americans haven't come up with any evidence? Yeah, well they haven't come up with any evidence. I mentioned the lack of evidence, didn't I...?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.