Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Using UCAS Adjustment if you have 4/5 A-levels but your offer only specifies 3 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've searched but couldn't find any answers to my question, if there is a thread on this already then please could somebody tell me? Thanks!

I have a firm offer of AAA, but I'm taking 5 A-levels. So if I got AAAA, or AAAB or even AAACC or something, would I hypothetically be eligible for adjustment as I've done better than my offer?

(I know there wouldn't really be any unis for me to adjust to, but hypothetically?)

Similarly, if somebody with an AAB offers gets AABB or AABC are they eligible? Does having an extra A-level count as 'beating' your offer?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What is adjustment?

If you have an offer of AAA and get AAAUU you would still get in. I don't know if this is what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    ive never heard of ucas adjuustment

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucas.com/resultsandnextsteps/adjustment/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I've searched but couldn't find any answers to my question, if there is a thread on this already then please could somebody tell me? Thanks!

I have a firm offer of AAA, but I'm taking 5 A-levels. So if I got AAAA, or AAAB or even AAACC or something, would I hypothetically be eligible for adjustment as I've done better than my offer?

(I know there wouldn't really be any unis for me to adjust to, but hypothetically?)

Similarly, if somebody with an AAB offers gets AABB or AABC are they eligible? Does having an extra A-level count as 'beating' your offer?

Thanks!
    Are a number of threads that cover Adjustment. Including
    i)my faq: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827966

ii)covered generally in the general, Results Day, Clearing, Adjustment post:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=965475

As the FAQ makes clear the situation is unclear! The UCAS website http://www.ucas.com/resultsandnextst...justment/facts gives (result, offer) examples both of eligible and ileligible combinations for Adjustment. In all the examples the candidate has 3 A-levels and the offer is for 3 A-levels as well. So UCAS have definitely decided not to answer that question.

So this all means that if there is a bliss uni that you would prefer to your firm it is worth the price of a phone call to see if they have places in Adjustment. i.e. it is certainly possible you will be able to transfer.

ReputationRep:
    Adjustment is new this year. I find it strange that in their example page they do not show if the extra A level is eligible or ineligible, and logically you would think and extra A level would exceed the conditions of your course.
    However lots of university courses do only specify 3 grades, yet many people obtain 4 A2 or 3 A2 and 1 AS. With AAAc would that make you eligible for adjustment? I think in all likely hood it would solely be down to the number of grades which your original offer was for, otherwise too many people could in theory apply for adjustment which would take a long time to process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Are a number of threads that cover Adjustment. Including
    my faq: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827966

all covered in the general, Results Day, Clearing, Adjustment post:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=965475

As the FAQ makes clear the situation is unclear! The UCAS website http://www.ucas.com/resultsandnextst...justment/facts gives (result, offer) examples both of eligible and ileligible combinations for Adjustment. In all the examples the candidate has 3 A-levels and the offer is for 3 A-levels as well. So UCAS have definitely decided not to answer that question.

So this all means that if there is a bliss uni that you would prefer to your firm it is worth the price of a phone call to see if they have places in Adjustment. i.e. it is certainly possible you will be able to transfer.
    Thanks for your help. I've been on the ucas website and seen all their examples, I just wanted to know if anyone had any concrete information about people with more than 3 A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Thanks for your help. I've been on the ucas website and seen all their examples, I just wanted to know if anyone had any concrete information about people with more than 3 A-Levels
    Well personally I think the website does give concrete information: UCAS have decided definitely not to decide (yet). i.e. they don't want to answer this question. By not answering it they give themselves wiggle room during the Adjustment period.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand where you could adjust to TBH: there's not many university places with offers higher than AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    I don't understand where you could adjust to TBH: there's not many university places with offers higher than AAA.
    The typical offer of the uni you want to transfer to is irrelevant.
    All that matter is your Firm offer and your actual grades.
    So the To uni can have the same or lower offers than the firm uni.
    e.g. so if you get AAB you can get released by an ABB uni (e.g. Birmingham) and go to a BBB uni (e.g. Edinburgh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    The typical offer of the uni you want to transfer to is irrelevant.
    All that matter is your Firm offer and your actual grades.
    So the To uni can have the same or lower offers than the firm uni.
    e.g. so if you get AAB you can get released by an ABB uni (e.g. Birmingham) and go to a BBB uni (e.g. Edinburgh)
    Oh right, thanks! I take it Oxbridge doesn't participate in Adjustment...

ReputationRep:
    Officially: No.
    Unofficially: possible (but unlikely) if you applied and were interviewed by Oxbridge.
    i.e. through Summer Pool system:
    my faq: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827966

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.