Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the difference between Music and Noise? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Music is noise that is pleasing to listen too, and is organised that way, (well most music is).
    Noise is an annoying irritating sound that you don't want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    The difference is simple. Music is predictable sound, noise is unpredictable sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longleg92)
    The difference is simple. Music is predictable sound, noise is unpredictable sound.
    But if I slap someone it's a predictable sound , so when I slap someone it's basically music ?

ReputationRep:
    Noise is defined as "deranging sound". Deranging on the other hand is indeed purely subjective. I don't think the radio plays "noise", but I think some of the songs have the kind of simplistic, brainwashing lyrics, which block people from seeking alternatives and improvement.

Speaking of radio, I'm currently listening to KRock2 on iTunes and that's great to me. There are thousands if not tens of thousands of radio stations out there. However, by radio we're talking about local radio I presume.

ReputationRep:
    contemporary noise/psychedelic music is one of my favorite kinds of music at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Music - is structured noise , purposely made
    Noise - unpurpousful sounds , which is unstructured

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    Music - is structured noise , purposely made
    Free improvisation and chance music don't have any structure, but they are still both classified as 'music' by any serious musicologist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gelliant Gutfright)
    Free improvisation and chance music don't have any structure, but they are still both classified as 'music' by any serious musicologist.
    Debatable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gelliant Gutfright)
    But when you improvise , you take a sound and add something to it. You don't hear 100 people playing drums all at once annd at different times !. One person will play the drum and then the rest follow on each making the sound of the drum beat sound like music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    Debatable
    Chance music, perhaps, but genuine free improvisation is not structured. I don't mean free jazz, which often has a loosely defined set of ideas (e.g. John Coltrane's Ascension); I mean improvisations by performers such as Keiji Haino, Fred Frith and Zeena Parkins, where the concern is with timbre rather than melody, harmony or rhythm. It is always completely spontaneous, otherwise does not qualify as free improvisation.

(Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    But when you improvise , you take a sound and add something to it. You don't hear 100 people playing drums all at once annd at different times !. One person will play the drum and then the rest follow on each making the sound of the drum beat sound like music.
    Listen to some free improvisation trios and reconsider what you're saying; they play unplanned notes without any point of reference to keep the musicians in the same key or time signature (if there is even a regular pulse or key, which there often isn't). If it is actual free improvisation, what you are saying is not applicable, because the musicians will not converge to a common standard solely to make it sound harmonious.

I can't really think of many drumming ensembles comprised of one-hundred people. If they do exist, they are atypical of the usual small ensembles that perform free improvisation, so I don't think your example is as relevant as a trio or a quartet would be.

ReputationRep:
    I think half the people in this thread are talking about sounds like a car going past on the street and the other half are talking about the type of music that is "noise".

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the quality of music played on many radio stations , (particularly those owned by Global Radio) I reckon if they'd be better off playing white noise most of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbanjeet)
    That is a ****ing awesome poster considering it refers to a film I've never even heard of.

ReputationRep:
    end-members of the same spectrum

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.