Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a Mature student hoping to go to med school however I only have 5 GCSE's math english biology chemistry geog all A-A* however most med schools require 6-7 would they accept 5 GCSE's for mature students

ReputationRep:
    Email the ones which you are wanting to go to and ask if not, take an extra couple in the evening to up them. Cant hurt to ask

Where are you wanting to go?

ReputationRep:
    Havent reached that stage yet but aberdeen looks like a good first choice for me followed by leeds nottingham and peninsula

ReputationRep:
    Well give them all an email or take an extra couple, what you taking access or a'levels?

ReputationRep:
    are you a mature student with a degree or hoping to apply via access course or alevels?
    having applied as a graduate myself, the requirements on gcses are less strict, i'm not sure what they are like if you are applying from the other routes though. Best thing to do is to email the unis you have in mind and to ask and find out what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgoger)
    I am a Mature student hoping to go to med school however I only have 5 GCSE's math english biology chemistry geog all A-A* however most med schools require 6-7 would they accept 5 GCSE's for mature students
    Hey - Someone else from North Wales! YAY!! I'm in Cemaes Bay. :woo: (sorry - perhaps I shouldnt get so excited about stuff like that).

Anyway - to answer your questions we need some more info really,
    - how mature are you?
    - have you got a degree already?
    - were there any extenuating circumstances for you only having 5 GCSE's?
    - have you got A Levels?
    - What kind of work experience have you got?
    - What do you do now? (i.e. are you a health professional?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    Hey - Someone else from North Wales! YAY!! I'm in Cemaes Bay. :woo: (sorry - perhaps I shouldnt get so excited about stuff like that).

Anyway - to answer your questions we need some more info really,
    - how mature are you?
    - have you got a degree already?
    - were there any extenuating circumstances for you only having 5 GCSE's?
    - have you got A Levels?
    - What kind of work experience have you got?
    - What do you do now? (i.e. are you a health professional?)

*I am currently 22 with 5 GCSE's at A* in English,Math,Biology,Chemistry,G eog but I plan on taking a further 5 GCSE subjects now such as ICT,Law,English Lit,Physics and Psychology.

*No Degree I plan on meeting the academic requirements of school leavers

*My work experience is mostly Railway Engineering based however I was the nominated first aider, my mother works with the people with severe physical and mental disabilities I have been told that I can get a job working as a carer for these individuals but with studying to meet entrance requirements I may only be able to fit in 6 months work experience here but I plan to volunteer at my local hospital and GP

Would this be enough experience?

Oh and on a further note my GCSE's were all self taught using distance learning material my GCSE's were limited by what I could afford at the time it was 200GBP+ for the study material for each GCSE.

I realise some of you might be saying jeez why is this guy pestering us when he has still more GCSE's to do then A levels but I am just trying to plot a clear path between my current position and where I want to be (medical school)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgoger)
    *I am currently 22 with 5 GCSE's at A* in English,Math,Biology,Chemistry,G eog but I plan on taking a further 5 GCSE subjects now such as ICT,Law,English Lit,Physics and Psychology.

*No Degree I plan on meeting the academic requirements of school leavers

*My work experience is mostly Railway Engineering based however I was the nominated first aider, my mother works with the people with severe physical and mental disabilities I have been told that I can get a job working as a carer for these individuals but with studying to meet entrance requirements I may only be able to fit in 6 months work experience here but I plan to volunteer at my local hospital and GP

Would this be enough experience?

Oh and on a further note my GCSE's were all self taught using distance learning material my GCSE's were limited by what I could afford at the time it was 200GBP+ for the study material for each GCSE.

I realise some of you might be saying jeez why is this guy pestering us when he has still more GCSE's to do then A levels but I am just trying to plot a clear path between my current position and where I want to be (medical school)
    Ok, i think that you are doing a good thing by doing your gcse's, will you be doing a levels after that? if so then you are looking at a few years before you are ready to apply, that gives you plenty of time to sort out more work experience.

From what you've listed, you will probably need more work ex. are you working at the minute? a job in the hospital would be great - ysbyty gwynedd is always on the look out for bank health care assistants, other than that i think they were advertising for physio assistants recently. if you need to, i can get you the number of the work experience coordinator here too. and definately try to get involved with the disabilities caring thing.

Have you looked into an access course? i dont know much about them except that its possible to use them as the route into medicine rather than doing gcse's and a levels. im sure someone else will have more info on them. if you look on the forums at newmediamedicine they have a dedicated access to medicine subforum, they will have lots of answers aswell.

Also, i think its bloody good that you managed to get those gcse's by self teaching, well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    Ok, i think that you are doing a good thing by doing your gcse's, will you be doing a levels after that? if so then you are looking at a few years before you are ready to apply, that gives you plenty of time to sort out more work experience.

From what you've listed, you will probably need more work ex. are you working at the minute? a job in the hospital would be great - ysbyty gwynedd is always on the look out for bank health care assistants, other than that i think they were advertising for physio assistants recently. if you need to, i can get you the number of the work experience coordinator here too. and definitely try to get involved with the disabilities caring thing.

Have you looked into an access course? i dont know much about them except that its possible to use them as the route into medicine rather than doing gcse's and a levels. im sure someone else will have more info on them. if you look on the forums at newmediamedicine they have a dedicated access to medicine subforum, they will have lots of answers aswell.

Also, i think its bloody good that you managed to get those gcse's by self teaching, well done!
    Thanks I figure it will be either 2010 or 2011 before I am ready to apply for which gives me plenty of time for work experience like you mentioned, The mention of self teaching helps thanks, It helps that I have a hunger for knowledge and the much needed discipline which I lacked in school but really if anyone else is out there pondering the self taught option go for it the internet really helps with subjects and past exam papers can give you the assurance that your learning whats needed.

Looking ahead to A levels planning on AS Biology,Chemistry,Math and Law or Economics with A2 being Biology,Chemistry and Maths I looked at previous A level Physics papers and it gave me a headache from a "I am going to have to teach myself this stuff" point of view

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.