Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much does a person's physical attractiveness win you over vs their personality? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you focus more on looks or personality?
    I'm a guy: 100% looks; 0% personality
    2.09%
    I'm a guy: 75% looks; 25% personality
    14.66%
    I'm a guy: 50% looks; 50% personality
    26.18%
    I'm a guy: 25% looks; 75% personality
    13.09%
    I'm a guy: 0% looks; 100% personality
    0.52%
    I'm a girl: 100% looks; 0% personality
    0%
    I'm a girl: 75% looks; 25% personality
    3.66%
    I'm a girl: 50% looks; 50% personality
    18.85%
    I'm a girl: 25% looks; 75% personality
    19.90%
    I'm a girl: 0% looks; 100% personality
    1.05%

ReputationRep:
    How much does a person's physical attractiveness win you over vs their personality?

If you are highly attracted to a person's physical appearance are you more willing to over look 'flaws' in their personality?

ReputationRep:
    It's like this, girls good looking so I'll probs go out of my way to speak to her. Then if she's cool I'll stay in touch if not, I don't care how hot she is, we ain't talking again.

ReputationRep:
    I've never met a physically unattractive person who I'd have said had an attractive personality. So I guess the two are intertwined in my mind anyway.

ReputationRep:
    looks initially draw me to the person but if the personality isn't there, i'm out..!

ReputationRep:
    For me it's 75% personality and 25 % looks.

Well for me they just have to be not ugly, but other than that it's all personality

ReputationRep:
    Primarily, it's obvious that looks are the more important factor because you're more likely to be attracted to someone physically appealling. Once you get past the initial first impression, then I think that personality plays a bigger role as you get to know them. But, including initial attraction, I voted 75% looks, 25% personality.

ReputationRep:
    For me personally Its all about the personality..!!.. you can get cute guys with the most rubbish personality!

ReputationRep:
    As many people previously state, i'm the same. Looks draw me in, the personality is what keeps me, or if they have the looks and not the personality, i'm gone. It's hard to just walk in a room and go "i think they have a nice personality". Need to start somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    75% personality, 25% looks.

ReputationRep:
    I care more about personality, but I wouldn't go for an utterly hideous person. It sounds shallow, but most people are like that.

ReputationRep:
    For once in a H+R thread I seem to agree with most people!

Being attracted to something about their looks first makes you see thme in that light, or even go speak to them, then it takes a compatible personality to keep going back and talking to them.

The 100% attraction thing works like this, dance with possibly kiss while drunk in club, then try hold conversation with and :facepalm: nothing to say, find them uninteresting etc..... fail basically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazmin)
    For me personally Its all about the personality..!!.. you can get cute guys with the most rubbish personality!
    but would you walk over to an unattractive man?

I've found people unattractive at first, but then I kind of grow into them (I find myself more attracted to them) because I like their personality. Buuut - this has never happened where the person is shockingly unattractive, and sometimes the "effect" can wear off.

It also works in reverse though - like if I know a very good looking w*nker, it's like my mind dismisses the good looks and just thinks of them as a tosser.

I've also found guys I was initially attracted to fall off my radar when I find out they have a girlfriend, which is pretty fortunate for me really, I don't get too jealous.

I'd say first impressions of whether I fancy someone or not are based on looks but also style - like the way they dress, how they smell, whether I first see them with their mates and they're having a good time/laughing/seem funny etc and then my feelings will change the better I get to know them.

So I put 50:50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    but would you walk over to an unattractive man?
    Yeppp!! lol

I say 25% looks 75% personality.

Really I think girls are either good looking or not good looking, most are the former. If she's good looking then it's all then down to personality etc., not how much good looking she is.

>If you are highly attracted to a person's physical appearance are you more willing to over look 'flaws' in their personality?
    A bit, but the reverse is more.

ReputationRep:
    About 75% personality. Although i find that attractive girls tend to be more confident, which i like in a girl.

ReputationRep:
    70 attractive 30 personality

ReputationRep:
    If im being honest its probably 45% looks 51 personality. Life has taught me that personality is sooooooooooooooo important when it comes to the opposite sex.

ReputationRep:
    Lol....with my boyfriend of 22 months..I didn't think he was that attractive at all at the beginning but I really really liked his personality and was attracted to that so that bowled me over instead. I went out with him secretly at first as I was too embarrassed to pubically announce it.

Over time he's gotten more and more attractive in my eyes, I see past his flaws and now I think he's gorgeous! Plus I think it's cause of the transition from him going from 16-18...making him pay more attention to his appearance due to puberty lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.