Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much does a person's physical attractiveness win you over vs their personality? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you focus more on looks or personality?
    I'm a guy: 100% looks; 0% personality
    2.09%
    I'm a guy: 75% looks; 25% personality
    14.66%
    I'm a guy: 50% looks; 50% personality
    26.18%
    I'm a guy: 25% looks; 75% personality
    13.09%
    I'm a guy: 0% looks; 100% personality
    0.52%
    I'm a girl: 100% looks; 0% personality
    0%
    I'm a girl: 75% looks; 25% personality
    3.66%
    I'm a girl: 50% looks; 50% personality
    18.85%
    I'm a girl: 25% looks; 75% personality
    19.90%
    I'm a girl: 0% looks; 100% personality
    1.05%

ReputationRep:
    I dunno it's kinda hard to say.. It's usually for me a sort of physical attraction at the beginning, then getting to know them and from there personality is far more important.

ReputationRep:
    75% Personality 25% Looks. Personality you have more control over and physical appearance deteriates over time but who you are on the inside remains.

ReputationRep:
    I think for me there is a threshold level for physical attractiveness. Sort of 6/10 looks wise, so long as they are passed that, then it is all good, and it becomes all about the personality. I'd rather go out with an OK girl who is hilarious and interesting than a model who is thick as ****

ReputationRep:
    Wow, how horrificly quantative.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have no idea how we're supposed to assign a percentage value to 'personality' and 'looks'. Can someone please explain the science behind that?

If I'm not attracted to their personality, no go. If I'm not attracted to their appearance, no go. Frankly, it's that simple. I don't really see how that can be quantified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Footballfiend08)
    If im being honest its probably 45% looks 51 personality. Life has taught me that personality is sooooooooooooooo important when it comes to the opposite sex.
    What happened to the other 4%?

I voted 50/50 because at the age of 17 I'm looking for a bit of fun and a good mix of the two is very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    I have no idea how we're supposed to assign a percentage value to 'personality' and 'looks'. Can someone please explain the science behind that?

If I'm not attracted to their personality, no go. If I'm not attracted to their appearance, no go. Frankly, it's that simple. I don't really see how that can be quantified.
    So I would suppose you'd go 50:50?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by poossum)
    So I would suppose you'd go 50:50?
    My point is that I don't see how it can be percentified (yes, a made-up word). In reality, nobody gives somebody a rating for both their personality and looks and then weighs them according to the percentages they've set when deciding whether to date them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd find myself attracted to a good looking girl but if she has a terrible personality then what's the point in wanting to be with her. On the other hand if she has a good personality then yeah sure. I suppose at the end of the day it's 50-50 for me, it's nice to be with a girl who is attractive both physically and personality-wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PBTimmeh)
    What happened to the other 4%?

I voted 50/50 because at the age of 17 I'm looking for a bit of fun and a good mix of the two is very important.

LOL! ooops :o: i meant to right 45%/55%

ReputationRep:
    Can't have one without the other really.

ReputationRep:
    The gyal has to have 80% looks, 20% personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellisntitfor)
    I've never met a physically unattractive person who I'd have said had an attractive personality. So I guess the two are intertwined in my mind anyway.
    So by your logic, only good looking people have great personalities?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    For me about 80% looks and 20% personality. But that's because I'm only 19 and so relationships don't really matter, their end is just inevitable. When I'm much older (probably at 35) I'm sure personality will hold a greater significance. Until then, just be with the hotties

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 65% Personality, 35% looks.

As much as I'd like to say I'm not shallow at all and I love a girl for her personality, looks do count. They count to a much lesser degree than personality... but they still count. Personality + things is common is the most important thing to me, if I date a girl who isn't really into music it doesn't last long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Well for me they just have to be not ugly, but other than that it's all personality
    What he said :rolleyes:
    Plus, I've never looked at a guy and gone "URGH" - their looks grow on you.

With like... One exception :o:

ReputationRep:
    being honest 50/50

ReputationRep:
    Physical attraction gives him an automatic 'in', but if he is boring or doesn't have a sense of humour I'm not interested. If a man is intelligent and witty then it is far more likely that I will be attracted to him.

I'm not even sure about drawing a distinction between physical and other attraction. If I'm attracted to him I am attracted to him. Maybe that is a more female mindset.

ReputationRep:
    It was his looks that caught my attention and his personality that made me fall in love with him.

ReputationRep:
    Can't say because no two girls are the same. For the sake of this kind of poll I'd probably go 65% looks, 35% personality, it's never really as simple as that though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.