Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your partner was burned in a horrible accident would you stay with them? Watch

• View Poll Results: If your partner was burned in a horrible accident would you stay with them?
    I'm a guy: yes I would, no matter what.
    29.88%
    I'm a guy: yes I would, but only if I caused the accident.
    4.56%
    I'm a guy: no, I wouldn't.
    10.79%
    I'm a girl: yes I would, no matter what.
    49.38%
    I'm a girl: yes I would, but only if I caused the accident.
    1.66%
    I'm a girl: no, I wouldn't.
    3.73%

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't have any effect but I wouldn't then stay with them out of sympathy if the relationship wasn't working.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Yes. If we're going to (God forbid) die, then we'll die together. If we're going to suffer, we'll suffer together.

Gosh! I'm so cheesy
    You better not be talking about my sister at Worcester Grammar.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Yes. If we're going to (God forbid) die, then we'll die together. If we're going to suffer, we'll suffer together.

Gosh! I'm so cheesy
    I think you're sweet! It'd be the same with me and my wifey. Abandoning her for something out of her control seems stupid and if she's suffering, I'd rather be there with her :yes:

(Original post by snoogy)
    I think you're sweet! It'd be the same with me and my wifey. Abandoning her for something out of her control seems stupid and if she's suffering, I'd rather be there with her :yes:
    Exactly! :nurse:

For those that wouldn't, I wonder what their motives are for being in such relationship? It's not as if their affection/love for you is going to change if they have a couple of scars etc?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. damn my unconditonal love for the little ******

ReputationRep:
    It would be evil not to, the person would be the same person.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah. They're going through a horrible time in their life and then the person they thought loved them leaves them? You'd have to be an awful person to do that, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that it might change them as a person.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    I only answer yes only because I was thinking of the physical changes rather than emotional or psychological. I would try to cope with them unless they completely changed and turned into something I no longer want to associate with.

I see where you are coming from. If you've recovered from a rather horrific accident, you'll see that as an opportunity to go and do everything you haven't had time to do. Knowing that life can easily be taken away from you.

However, I don't know about you. But if I was burned in a horrible accident, and my partner stuck by me, if anything it would make our relationship stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Man, I'm outta there.. .. aint staying with no BBQ'd *****.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you are coming from. If you've recovered from a rather horrific accident, you'll see that as an opportunity to go and do everything you haven't had time to do. Knowing that life can easily be taken away from you.

However, I don't know about you. But if I was burned in a horrible accident, and my partner stuck by me, if anything it would make our relationship stronger.
    You might see it as a second chance, or it might change you in other ways.
    My sister in law was in a car crash which left her facially scarred, she totally changed; stopped going out, lost all her self confidence, constantly accused my brother of cheating on her. he tried to stick it out but in the end he couldn't do it any more; the only reason he was with her for so long afterward was because she was scarred.

edit: oh yeah, it might affect you physically other ways as well, burns can leave you with limited ability.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, especially if we were married and commited to each other. What kind of stupid question is that? I'd love him no matter what he looked like.

You might see it as a second chance, or it might change you in other ways.
    My sister in law was in a car crash which left her facially scarred, she totally changed; stopped going out, lost all her self confidence, constantly accused my brother of cheating on her. he tried to stick it out but in the end he couldn't do it any more; the only reason he was with her for so long afterward was because she was scarred.
    I'm sorry to hear about your sister in law!

I guess such circumstances depends on your commitment to the relationship, and what you strive for. In your brothers case, I guess it wasn't going anywhere.

In the above scenario, (to me), that would be a perfect opportunity to re-ignite the relationship. It would be ideal to do the whole 'lovey dovey' thing.

My partner to me means someone that is there for me, as I am there for them. Someone I can snuggle up to. Someone I can get up next to in the morning. I don't think my affection for them would change, because they couldn't face going out any more ect. (Gosh! I'm just like a walking advertisement now aren't I?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bbeben)
    Yes. It's very morally wrong and selfish to leave someone after something so traumatic in their life. They would especially need your help/love after an accident like that. As long as they can still maintain their personality then you can still stay with them for who you fell in love with.
    The relationship would be fake. It's morally wrong to stay with someone out of sheer pity. Personally I'd rather have someone leave me than stay with me in that case, but I do appreciate if friends stick around to care for me even if I was burnt. There's a huge difference between a caring relationship and a romantic relationship.

For me it depends on how long I've been with the person. If I've been with a person for a long period of time, I will most likely stay with them because I love them. However if it's a newish relationship, I'm not sure how I'd react. I would never stay with someone out of pity though so I'd need to check my feelings.

ReputationRep:
    depends how munged they were

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about your sister in law!

I guess such circumstances depends on your commitment to the relationship, and what you strive for. In your brothers case, I guess it wasn't going anywhere.

In the above scenario, (to me), that would be a perfect opportunity to re-ignite the relationship. It would be ideal to do the whole 'lovey dovey' thing.

My partner to me means someone that is there for me, as I am there for them. Someone I can snuggle up to. Someone I can get up next to in the morning. I don't think my affection for them would change, because they couldn't face going out any more ect. (Gosh! I'm just like a walking advertisement now aren't I?)
    that's what my partner is to me as well, I love him, but I think if I ended up working twice as much so I could totally support him, only to come home and have him accuse me of not loving him and even cheating on him, for him to not let me snuggle up to him at night or accompany me to family meals, then he wouldn't be the person that I love now. I think to stay with him through that wouldn't be because I still loved him, it would be pity and obligation. It would be a different matter if he were willing to get counselling or help himself in other ways but not everyone is like that.

I think that anyone who can stick it out through that kind of thing needs some serious kudos but I personally don't have the strength.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! :nurse:

For those that wouldn't, I wonder what their motives are for being in such relationship? It's not as if their affection/love for you is going to change if they have a couple of scars etc?
    What would you do if a partner suddenly became abusive?

Wait a few months...

What would you do if you found out the partner was actually abusive due to a mental illness? Would you return back to them?

Same principle really. You can substitute the abusiveness for whatever other conditions such as memory loss etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.