Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If your partner was burned in a horrible accident would you stay with them? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: If your partner was burned in a horrible accident would you stay with them?
    I'm a guy: yes I would, no matter what.
    29.88%
    I'm a guy: yes I would, but only if I caused the accident.
    4.56%
    I'm a guy: no, I wouldn't.
    10.79%
    I'm a girl: yes I would, no matter what.
    49.38%
    I'm a girl: yes I would, but only if I caused the accident.
    1.66%
    I'm a girl: no, I wouldn't.
    3.73%

ReputationRep:
    Has someone wandered into Jane Eyre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surely_unsure)
    If your partner was burned in a horrible accident would you stay with them?
    Was this inspired by the program The Street last week by any chance?

http://static.whatsontv.co.uk/images...5549_jonas.jpg

Its well worth watching.

I would try but the reality of the situation would be alot more complicated and ugly than I can imagine im sure.

ReputationRep:
    Wow lots of liars in here.... if it was my girlfriend she would be gone.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a shallow person but I AM surprised to see how many people have voted that they would stay with their partner no matter what. Maybe it's because I have not been in love, but I think that for a relationship to be successful, you need to be able to find your partner physically attractive as well as loving them.

And can you honestly say that you would, after an accident that may be as severe as this:

(Disclaimer, images aren't very nice so click at your own discretion!)

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. I don't really see anything not making me want to be with my boyfriend to be honest. Unless he cheated on me, I think that's my deal breaker.

(Original post by Tombola)
    What would you do if a partner suddenly became abusive?

Wait a few months...

What would you do if you found out the partner was actually abusive due to a mental illness? Would you return back to them?

Same principle really. You can substitute the abusiveness for whatever other conditions such as memory loss etc.
    I see your point :yes:. But at the end of the day, if it was all trigged by the accident (something that they had no control over) then I would of course endeavour to continue the relationship. Not only because I felt sorry for them, but because of what we had before the relationship. I wouldn't want that to end.

I would do whatever I felt I could to support them, and for us to try and continue our relationship. However, as you're rightfully getting at, I could only imagine that we would all have our breaking point; but as I've (thankfully) not ever had to have been in that situation, I guess I couldn't tell you what my breaking point would be. Would I give up? Would I make it work? I would like to think I would try (to make it work).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as long as it didn't change his personality I would. Wouldn't of been his fault and I'm in love with him so there's much more than just finding him attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    I'm not a shallow person but I AM surprised to see how many people have voted that they would stay with their partner no matter what. Maybe it's because I have not been in love, but I think that for a relationship to be successful, you need to be able to find your partner physically attractive as well as loving them.

And can you honestly say that you would, after an accident that may be as severe as this:

(Disclaimer, images aren't very nice so click at your own discretion!)

I think it would make a difference if you'd been in love. Or if you're currently in love. I imagine that had I been single and never been in love I'd have said I wouldn't stay with him either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bbeben)
    Yes. It's very morally wrong and selfish to leave someone after something so traumatic in their life. They would especially need your help/love after an accident like that. As long as they can still maintain their personality then you can still stay with them for who you fell in love with.
    Yes, but if you're only staying with them because you feel obliged to and not because you actually want to, don't they deserve better?

And I honestly don't know what I would do. It depends on many things (whether I was in love with the other person being the main one).

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think so but obviously I have no idea how I'd react in reality. I suppose it's different if you've been married for 30-odd years and you've built a life together, but is it something we'd do at our age (16-early 20s)? Much respect to those who would.

ReputationRep:
    that depends if she is still alive, if she's dead, then..
    staying with her would be kinda creepy
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    If I loved my partner then yes, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    The relationship would be fake. It's morally wrong to stay with someone out of sheer pity. Personally I'd rather have someone leave me than stay with me in that case, but I do appreciate if friends stick around to care for me even if I was burnt. There's a huge difference between a caring relationship and a romantic relationship.

For me it depends on how long I've been with the person. If I've been with a person for a long period of time, I will most likely stay with them because I love them. However if it's a newish relationship, I'm not sure how I'd react. I would never stay with someone out of pity though so I'd need to check my feelings.
    It's not fake if you still love each other as genuinely before the accident. I was saying as long as the personality is still the same then why not. Yeah, it's wrong to stay with someone just because of pity so it's better to break up in that case.

Depends.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care
    like if you're 60 and your partner gets in an accident, i bet most people would stay with them if they've been together for like 30 years.

If you really really love them then why should their looks matter at all? physical attractiveness can only dictate a relationship so far; there has to be something to fall back on. If the burned victim's personality changes too - i would wait a while to see if it was just a reaction - so much that they can never be who you fell in love with at all, then that is a different story. It's like saying would you stay with your partner if they got really really really fat due to an illness. of course you would! =]

ReputationRep:
    If I were really in love with that person I'd stay of course. But I've to admit that it woldn't be easy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would because If you left that would make it pretty obvious you were with the person for the wrong reason and it would be really hurtful to leave someone after something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bbeben)
    It's not fake if you still love each other as genuinely before the accident. I was saying as long as the personality is still the same then why not. Yeah, it's wrong to stay with someone just because of pity so it's better to break up in that case.

Depends.
    Yeah but that's the biggest thing. If you love each other...
    Would you still be with this person if you were together for 1 months?

ReputationRep:
    Well of course I wouldn't leave them becase of the actual scars. But maybe, as others have said, if their personality completly changed, to the point where I didn't love them anymore.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yes, of course.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be with that person unless I felt very strongly about them, and believed we had a future, so something as trivial as appearance wouldn't change that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.