Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hello everyone

Basically, I started lessons at the end of May but I've done quite a lot (30 hours) and have got to quite a high standard. I've done 3/4 of the maneouvres and I'm competent on the roads and stuff. I was doing 4 hours a week but had to drop down to 2 hours because of money issues.

I'm moving back down to my University city (London) on 22nd August and so won't finish everything here in Liverpool. I feel gutted about this because if I'd kept up with 4 hours a week I might have been able to do it. I'm going to be living in the Harrow/Northwick Park area but I've not got anywhere definite...

I don't know what to do because I really like my instructor up here and now I feel like I've wasted a lot of money. I can either take up lessons again in London or wait until the holidays, but since I would like to get a job in London it seems less than ideal to take the whole of Christmas and the whole of Easter off.

I'm so comfortable in the little Micra that my instructor uses, meh. Has anyone ever done this?

ReputationRep:
    I would find a good instructor when you go down to london. If you are currently with a driving school like bsm/aa then id stay with the same driving school in london. Maybe your driving instructor can recommend someone/give advice.
    It seems a shame to give up learning to drive and it would be a bit too much trouble to stick with your current instructor in your current hometown.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't leave big long time gaps in your training; your skills will go stale. I suggest you scour London for an instructor with a micra and continue your lessons there as frequently as you can afford.

Learning in London's road and traffic conditions will make you a better driver as you'll have more variety of situations to contend with down there, such as red routes etc. Learning to navigate and spot those congestion charge signs will be a bonus for beyond your test too.

ReputationRep:
    You could perhaps do one or two lessons a week in london, in the same car just to keep you used to driving, then talk to your liverpool instructor and see if you can go back there for your test? Or just take the test in london in the same car your instructor had, at least it won't be a completely new car...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couldxbe)
    Hello everyone

Basically, I started lessons at the end of May but I've done quite a lot (30 hours) and have got to quite a high standard. I've done 3/4 of the maneouvres and I'm competent on the roads and stuff. I was doing 4 hours a week but had to drop down to 2 hours because of money issues.

I'm moving back down to my University city (London) on 22nd August and so won't finish everything here in Liverpool. I feel gutted about this because if I'd kept up with 4 hours a week I might have been able to do it. I'm going to be living in the Harrow/Northwick Park area but I've not got anywhere definite...

I don't know what to do because I really like my instructor up here and now I feel like I've wasted a lot of money. I can either take up lessons again in London or wait until the holidays, but since I would like to get a job in London it seems less than ideal to take the whole of Christmas and the whole of Easter off.

I'm so comfortable in the little Micra that my instructor uses, meh. Has anyone ever done this?
    30 hours!!!! No wonder you've spent a lot (at £25 a lesson that's £750!).

All driving instructors are qualified to a certain level. If you move city just change instructor. It's not a big problem at all. You'll jump into another car and that'll be it - the new instructor will probably find out what you know and fill in your other gaps.

It's nothing major!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    30 hours!!!! No wonder you've spent a lot (at £25 a lesson that's £750!).

All driving instructors are qualified to a certain level. If you move city just change instructor. It's not a big problem at all. You'll jump into another car and that'll be it - the new instructor will probably find out what you know and fill in your other gaps.

It's nothing major!
    It's £19 an hour, and since the average is like 45 with 22 hours of private practise I'm not too bothered :p: Not particularly good at practical things either haha so I'm glad to be getting somewhere

Yeah, just worried since I learnt in a diesel and most cars are petrol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.