Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here is a bit of cheek showing skin tone in good light..
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_time)
    Then maybe, make friends with people outside your 'ethnicity' who don't care about the colour of your skin. TBH, it sounds like quite an old fashioned view. I'm asian myself and the only people I ever hear saying this are older people. I know that in asian media today it's still quite unusual to see darker skinned models, but I don't think this is necessarily in line with peoples conceptions of beauty. I'm pretty brown myself, but it's never really been an issue for me - and I have some very dark friends who are absolutely stunning - only fools would think of them as 'ugly' simply because they have dark skin.

Secondly, you mentioned foundation makes you darker. Foundation is not supposed to do this - it's supposed to be the same shade as your skin. Which brand do you use?

What has that got to do with being insecure about my skin tone?? It was my cousin that made me feel upset about it. Girls can be evil!

I use MAC

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you're making the assumption that going out in the sun, or using a sunbed is the only way to get the 'tanned' look. There are safe alternatives - e.g. spray tans. For skin lightening, there aren't.
    you are also making an assumption, that bleaching is the only way to get lighter, asian skin tone is very uneven, there are many herbal products not containing bleach, which even out the skin tone by preventing excessive pigmentation and such making the person look lighter..which you dont seem aware of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Oh I've seen plenty that are really dark.

As for looking yellower, you could binge drink on like 7 bottles of whisky a day. You'd be jaundiced in no time

P.S. I don't recommend you consume that much alcohol unless you have a death wish.
    Very funny, just no bleach products are there any out there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    I swear i have never seen a Pakistani that is really dark.

I dont want to be that fair. Just more yellowy than I am. I hate how my face is slightly darker than my body
    Aww Lol... same here reli... outta all my mates, I'm more or less the lightest tho... I believe that's cuz my mums reli fair skinned. Hey I turn yellow after 8-ish thoo <--- bit like that...

Mum says its cuz I hardly drink water, but thats Pakistani mothers for you! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Very funny, just no bleach products are there any out there?
    Except for those whitening creams and facewashes.

You could try professional bleach a la what Michael Jackson did. I wouldn't know the first place to go for that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It's absolutely brilliant. :king1:
    Agreed, I love the first one :yes:
    My cat refuses to do anything like that, he just sleeps and miaows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Which is exactly why the fake-tan business is so big here in the West and that tanning salons seem to be around almost every street corner?

If these very people were so proud of their skin colour they wouldn't be spalshing out on all the fake tan and going to tanning salons or beach holidays in which the main priority is to lie semi-naked in the scorching heat to end up burnt all over.

The risk of side-effects is much greater (and perhaps somewhat deadlier) with tanning in salons or on the beach than it is with using lightening creams.

But I do agree that everyone should be proud of their skin colour. I just think it's stupid for people to take potshots at communities that do use lightening products when those firing the potshots are more than happy to splash on the fake tan and burn themselves.
    In Britain its ridiculously high, apparantly Newcastle has the highest sales in fake tan too. Probably where we get so many bad stereotypes from, but hey ho...

I'm ridiculously pale naturally, my legs are literally milk bottle coloured haha. I'm proud of my paleness, I don't see the appeal of looking like an orange, but then again I also envy women who tan easily and who look a lovely golden brown.

I don't really know where I'm going with this other than; if you do want to change your skintone, OP, don't do it either chemically or wearing a different tone of make up, just use a moisturiser...a good one. Stay away from Clinique!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    In Britain its ridiculously high, apparantly Newcastle has the highest sales in fake tan too. Probably where we get so many bad stereotypes from, but hey ho...

I'm ridiculously pale naturally, my legs are literally milk bottle coloured haha. I'm proud of my paleness, I don't see the appeal of looking like an orange, but then again I also envy women who tan easily and who look a lovely golden brown.

I don't really know where I'm going with this other than; if you do want to change your skintone, OP, don't do it either chemically or wearing a different tone of make up, just use a moisturiser...a good one. Stay away from Clinique!
    I love ridiculously pale girls. Might be the reason why one of my ex's was a former goth but she was a complete nutcase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    Yeah. I was talking theoretically in terms of standard generations continued down through my own between generations on my level.

For e.g. I have a friend (girl), and her parents were born in Pakistan. My parents were also born in Pakistan. We both live here and have more or less the same skin color. We marry and have kids, and genetically, their skin should be lighter, even if its by that 1% and over a period of generations, it evens out.
    This is not how genetics works. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Great, so no bleach stuff.

No asian exported stuff.

Shut up and deal with what you have.

And use lightening cream...

Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    What has that got to do with being insecure about my skin tone?? It was my cousin that made me feel upset about it. Girls can be evil!

I use MAC
    Well it seemed from your posts that your conceptions of beauty were obviously being influenced by the close minded views of those around you, in this case your cousin. I wouldn't go feeling bad because of the comment of that one person. I have a light skinned asian friend who always gets picked on by her friends for being 'pasty'! So don't take it personally some people will always find excuses to say nasty to things to others!

I'd suggest you try a light adjusting foundation - something like Prescriptives, they're much better at matching your natural tone.

(Original post by shriya)
    you are also making an assumption, that bleaching is the only way to get lighter, asian skin tone is very uneven, there are many herbal products not containing bleach, which even out the skin tone by preventing excessive pigmentation and such making the person look lighter..which you dont seem aware of.
    I was aware of some alternatives such as laser treatment. I'd be interested to know more about the herbal products in question, I'm a bit dubious of their efficacy to be honest - a quick glance of the ones mentioned on wikipedia show little hard evidence to show that they have any significant effect on lightening the skin. Secondly, evening out skin tone is different to wanting lighter skin, that's something that can be achieved via makeup alone.

ReputationRep:
    There are 'brightening' creams out there. But you have to be careful with that stuff.

ReputationRep:
    im asian too..seriously why would you want to become lighter..?!?! be proud...

ReputationRep:
    Well it seemed from your posts that your conceptions of beauty were obviously being influenced by the close minded views of those around you, in this case your cousin. I wouldn't go feeling bad because of the comment of that one person. I have a light skinned asian friend who always gets picked on by her friends for being 'pasty'! So don't take it personally some people will always find excuses to say nasty to things to others!

I'd suggest you try a light adjusting foundation - something like Prescriptives, they're much better at matching your natural tone.
    Thanks good advice

ReputationRep:

I was aware of some alternatives such as laser treatment. I'd be interested to know more about the herbal products in question, I'm a bit dubious of their efficacy to be honest - a quick glance of the ones mentioned on wikipedia show little hard evidence to show that they have any significant effect on lightening the skin. Secondly, evening out skin tone is different to wanting lighter skin, that's something that can be achieved via makeup alone.
    i dont think there are any herbals in the UK market, so i wouldnt know.
    evening out skin tone, geneally makes people look lighter... and no make up is not always helpful as most of the makeup is tailored for european skin tones, asians generally need yellowy foundations, the ones in the market are either way too pink or overtly yellowy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oladz)
    This is not how genetics works. :rolleyes:
    I was actually suspecting my own thoughts. It's probably not genetics, maybe Evolution? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)
    i dont think there are any herbals in the UK market, so i wouldnt know.
    evening out skin tone, geneally makes people look lighter... and no make up is not always helpful as most of the makeup is tailored for european skin tones, asians generally need yellowy foundations, the ones in the market are either way too pink or overtly yellowy.
    I think it's a matter of shopping around really. Light adjusting foundations (Prescriptives, and I think Avon make one too), and sometimes just tinted moisturiser are great for uneven skin tone. The foundations in particular, are great for people who have trouble matching their skin colour to regular cheaper foundations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    Yeah but she's asian so that doesn't come into it.
    She should be happy with her colour! Sure you can cover it up with makeup, fake tan or whatever, but she's still that colour so it's better to learn to like it.

OP, just stay out of the sun more. Which part of asia you from? Caramel sounds quite light!
    Im from Bangladesh

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a matter of shopping around really. Light adjusting foundations (Prescriptives, and I think Avon make one too), and sometimes just tinted moisturiser are great for uneven skin tone. The foundations in particular, are great for people who have trouble matching their skin colour to regular cheaper foundations.

I dont have uneven skin tone, I just want to be slightly lighter

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.