Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    i have a phone interview for msc health economics with two professors from university of birmingham.
    i would appreciate if any of you who have experience of Msc phone interviews can tell me what they ask and most improtantly how to charm them during the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdef1)
    Hi guys
    i have a phone interview for msc health economics with two professors from university of birmingham.
    i would appreciate if any of you who have experience of Msc phone interviews can tell me what they ask and most improtantly how to charm them during the interview
    This is kind of adapted from the PhD interview Advice section of the postgraduate wiki guide which IlexAquifolium and I wrote. I have had a phone interview and they are often less personal and been confident and clear is key.

The "formal" interview and Interview styles

The interview can take two different paths. The first is often an informal chat with the supervisor where the project is discussed generally, or where a detailed disscussion takes place on where the project may lead. The second is usually in front of a board of people, usually 3 to 5, who will ask questions.

What to expect

The first question in most interviews seems to be "Why do you want to do a Msc and what has brought you to this position so far ?"

What follows is a series of questions that is designed to test your knowlegde of the basic aspects of the programme, what it entails, and what contibution is expected.

The project supervisor will want to know specifics and past experiences, while the others will want to see how you dealt with the question.

They seem to want to know about past work, such as dissertations etc, but may not ask directly. It is a good idea to have the work prepared and key places jotted down to refer to. Make sure you know the work in depth and be prepared to ask answer any questions on it.

The interview panel want you to express a wider knowledge. It is key you have read around a bit and understood them, as it will just help your case. Also find out what is cutting edge at the moment and bring with you or make a typed sheet with problems you might want to tackle during the a Msc project.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the information.anyone else got experience on phone interviews for Msc

ReputationRep:
    I had a phone interview for a PhD recently (Engineering) which was ok. It wasn’t too bad really as I had to attend a formal ‘on site’ interview afterwards.

The phone interview was more like a friendly chat and I was asked pretty much what I was expecting – why do I want to do a PhD, what interests me about the subject etc. I was asked a few technical questions, most of which focussed on my dissertation which were pretty easy to answer. I have quite a lot of work experience so we discussed that for a while, and then we just had a general chit-chat for a couple of minutes.

They were interested in my ability to cope with the high work load, and whether I had the dedication to remain focused on such a prolonged project. I would say if this is your only interview you need to show some evidence that you’re a worker and up to the job.

Thankfully everyone was very nice and they weren’t trying to catch me out. Some of what I’ve said may not be relevant to an MSc interview but that’s my experience anyway. As for charming them I think you’ve either got it or haven’t, and tbh as long as you don’t come across as a monotone halfwit you don’t need to. Anyway, good luck, and my number one tip is to make sure you have a glass of water ready for the inevitable dry mouth syndrome!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.