Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Israel evicts Palestinians from homes to make room for Jewish settlers. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/8180413.stm

sraeli police have evicted nine Palestinian families living in two houses in occupied East Jerusalem.

Jewish settlers moved into the houses almost immediately. The US has urged Israel to abandon plans for a building project in the area.

Israel has occupied East Jerusalem since 1967, a move not recognised by the international community.

The evictions have been condemned by the United Nations, the Palestinians and also the UK government.
    I want to know how people can condone the actions of the Israeli Government, given that there is such strong international condemnation of it (see emboldened bit in the extract above), and the arguments behind their logic. Because from where I'm standing, the actions of the Israeli Government seem completely and utterly out of order, and something needs to be done about it, period. What are your thoughts about this?

Also, if there's an existing thread about this, could the mods please merge? I didn't see one when I had a quick scan, but could've missed it.

ReputationRep:
    Not really anything new about this. It's been going on for years AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/8180413.stm

This sounds stupid as all hell. Can anyone try and explain how these actions can be condoned?
    condemned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    condemned?
    No, I want to know how people can condone the actions of the Israeli Government, and the arguments behind their logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    No, I want to know how people can condone the actions of the Israeli Government, and the arguments behind their logic.
    but the thing is you highlighted the bit where the UN, UK and Palestinians have condemned the actions then complained how anyone can condone such actions. I'm confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    but the thing is you highlighted the bit where the UN, UK and Palestinians have condemned the actions then complained how anyone can condone such actions. I'm confused
    Ah, I see how that can be confusing, I'll edit the OP for clarity.

ReputationRep:
    like littleshambles said before, it's been going on for ages..

Please keep all discussion on the Israel-Palestine conflict in this thread.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.