Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the pros and cons of working as a Speech & Language Therapist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn between applying for SALT & Primary Teaching after I finish my undergrad degree (BSc Psychology).

I'm even considering doing a PhD in Education/Developmental Science, but I'm not sure I'd feel happy with the lack of contact with people. I've been told I'd make a good candidate as I'm on track to gain a 1st class degree (touch MDF!), but this summer I've been working with under 5s and I've discovered how much I would enjoy a job where I could interact regularly with children.

What I'd like to know is what are the pros and cons of becoming a Speech & Language Therapist? Are there many jobs available in this profession? How do Speech & Language Therapists cope with having to talk for most of the day? Does it put a strain on their vocal chords?

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    I'm torn between applying for SALT & Primary Teaching after I finish my undergrad degree (BSc Psychology).

I'm even considering doing a PhD in Education/Developmental Science, but I'm not sure I'd feel happy with the lack of contact with people. I've been told I'd make a good candidate as I'm on track to gain a 1st class degree (touch MDF!), but this summer I've been working with under 5s and I've discovered how much I would enjoy a job where I could interact regularly with children.

What I'd like to know is what are the pros and cons of becoming a Speech & Language Therapist? Are there many jobs available in this profession? How do Speech & Language Therapists cope with having to talk for most of the day? Does it put a strain on their vocal chords?

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks!

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment (just about to go out) but I actually work part time in speech and language therapy (paediatric) for a primary care trust.

PM me if you want any hints and advice, like I said I can't really put anything worthwhile down now as I'm in a hurry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotdog)
    Hi,

I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment (just about to go out) but I actually work part time in speech and language therapy (paediatric) for a primary care trust.

PM me if you want any hints and advice, like I said I can't really put anything worthwhile down now as I'm in a hurry
    Thank you. I'll pm you

ReputationRep:
    the main con is that you'd probably get the sack if you started laughing at someone's speech impediment.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack this thread but im also considering SALT and would also like to know what it is like, a typical day, do you enjoy it/did it live up to your expectations? And how hard it is to find a position once youre newly qualified because iv been keeping an eye on the NHS jobs website and there doesnt really seem to be many vacancies about. What else can you do with a SALT degree if you cant get a direct position?

Thankyou

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.