Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm thinking of being an arse Watch

Typical nice guy here - don't talk about people behind their backs, don't lie unless absolutely have to, always do people favours, never confront people, always see the good in others.. etc. People take advantage and I end up being the **** or feeling left out.

I'm thinking of being an arse for a while and see what happens. What do you reckon? It's not in my nature though, so I'd have to force it. Has anyone else done this?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go from one extreme to the other...be nice, but know when to stand up for yourself in certain situations :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Noo, stay nice, you'll eventually be appreciated. I don't think it's right to alter your personality to fit in, especially for the worse.

ReputationRep:
    Stay nice but just be more assertive and stand up for yourself more.

ReputationRep:
    hmm..becoming an arse; it's an experience I suppose, but you might not have any friends left...

ReputationRep:
    Tonight Matthew I'm.. oh wait, I'm already an arse.

ReputationRep:
    Stay nice dude! Otherwise your future interactions with others would be based upon a personality you were forcing, so wouldnt ever allow you to be your true self again without affecting those relationships

Mostly nice guys do win in the end, hang in there, just make sure you aren't sweet to the point that people take advanatage of you

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd be too hard to force 'cause it doesn't come naturally to you. and when you do act that way, you'll probably just feel worse, imo.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda did this, I still kept generally the same (how you are now) but toned it down a little cos I was getting sick of how I was treated. Think about yourself more, ask yourself "whats in it for me?" I know this may sound selfish but we really must look after ourselves first. People still see me as a good person but not a pushover.

ReputationRep:
    Do it because then you can become a real boy.

ReputationRep:
    arses actually get the girls coz they have attitude!!! lool

ReputationRep:
    Become An Arse

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who describes themselves as a 'nice guy' is a bit of an arse already

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with trying to be a bit selfish for a while. No need to go all out nasty though.

(Original post by WFP Sausage)
    I kinda did this, I still kept generally the same (how you are now) but toned it down a little cos I was getting sick of how I was treated. Think about yourself more, ask yourself "whats in it for me?" I know this may sound selfish but we really must look after ourselves first. People still see me as a good person but not a pushover.
    This is what I'm talking about. Not switching completely but just being more selfish. I do look out for myself, but I don't like to talk about people behind their back, or lie for instance. Just to take a silly example, I wouldn't push in front of other people to get served in a nightclub, but I see others do it all the time. So I guess it pays to adopt this every man for himself mentality in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    Nothing wrong with trying to be a bit selfish for a while. No need to go all out nasty though.
    aww ur the definiton of beauty

ReputationRep:
    What's the point? What would you achieve?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so no, because even if you did do it for a bit, because you are innately nice you'd feel bad about things and would stop anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be an arse, unless you're attached to someone's body .. Whose arse are you gonna be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    You can't be an arse, unless you're attached to someone's body .. Whose arse are you gonna be?
    I was thinking of saying that too :p: Only a matter of time before someone said it :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.