My chances Watch

walrus.face
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My present academic and extracurricular achievements include-

Purple-stripe Belt in Karate
All-round achiever in school (received certificate and award)
Table Tennis player
Chess Player
Involved with the school magazine
Participation in inter-school quizzes, competitions, debates, etc
Class Topper
Topper in Economics
Enrolled in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programme (silver)
Attended Creative Writing workshops
Regular Community Service
Co-founder of Debate Society at school

Work Experience-

Freelance reporter for a popular newspaper.
Amateur Accountant.
Teach English and Math to underprivileged children.

During my gap year, alongside completing the extra A-levels I mentioned above, I intend to grow as a person by participating in all kinds of other extra-curricular activities. I might take up a summer job in the US/UK, volunteer abroad or in India, learn foreign languages,etc.

I am not sure if this would count as a possible disadvantage, but the school in which I study (though an international one), is a 10000 sq. feet shabby building without even a playground, let alone proper facilities or opportunities for students. The teachers are great, but the management is abominable!

I intend to apply to the following schools-

LSE
Oxford- Economics and Management
UCL
King's College
Edinburgh
St. Andrews
Warwick
LouisianaPuuurchase
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Errr, so your question is what are your chances of getting into good university over here?
It goes without saying that good grades give you a better chance of getting in, and you'll have plenty to fill up your personal statement with, but we're not university admissions people so we can't possibly tell you what we don't know.
Lizzness
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What an original way to show off... I should try it sometime!
*Miss A*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
so whats the problem here???
walrus.face
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What do you think my chances are of getting into my chosen schools?
Davy-Jones
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It seems as if you're just doing it for the sake of going to a pretigous university rather than studying a desired subject, because your course choices are all over the place! From management, to maths, to sociology to economics to psychology to film studies :confused:
You may have a chance academically, but you also need to show coherence in your interests and demonstrate a passion for a specific subject, which by the looks of it you are unable to do.
Bezzler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You need to be focussed on your course rather than the institution for your personal statement. Otherwise you won't get in anywhere.

Also, you can only apply to five institutions.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well firstly you can only apply for 5 universities. Secondly only activities relevant to the course e.g. relevant work experience count for something- your personal statement is mostly about academic achievements, most admissions tutors at good UK universities dont care about the number of clubs & socieities you've been involved in. Thirdly doing more than 4 AS Levels doesn't give you an advantage over others. Really until you've done your AS Levels its hard to tell if you have a realistic shot at those universities.
verticalforce
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Davy-Jones)
It seems as if you're just doing it for the sake of going to a pretigous university rather than studying a desired subject, because your course choices are all over the place! From management, to maths, to sociology to economics to psychology to film studies :confused:
You may have a chance academically, but you also need to show coherence in your interests and demonstrate a passion for a specific subject, which by the looks of it you are unable to do.

Nice sig.:eek3:
Bezzler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Well firstly you can only apply for 5 universities. Secondly only activities relevant to the course e.g. relevant work experience count for something- your personal statement is mostly about academic achievements, most admissions tutors at good UK universities dont care about the number of clubs & socieities you've been involved in. Thirdly doing more than 4 AS Levels doesn't give you an advantage over others. Really until you've done your AS Levels its hard to tell if you have a realistic shot at those universities.
Not necessarily true - a candidate who has six AS levels at grade a is likely to be more competitive than a candidate who has four AS levels at grade a, all other things being equal.

However, aaaa at AS is much better than aaabbb.
spacepirate-James
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lizzness)
What an original way to show off... I should try it sometime!
really, i kinda laughed at his EC's, i mean come on, topper in a class... Thats not extra-curricular, that's just academics again. All rounder-please, anyone could easily say they are an all rounder.

Again OP i just think your doing it for the prestige?

:rolleyes:
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good if you get your head out of your arse?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads