Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

How likely is it for a UK fresh graduate to look for a job in Australia?
    I'm planning to apply for a Work Holiday visa and take things from there. I'm not looking into any specific. I'm open to any job, but preferably one that requires a degree.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Although you've said you're open to anything, it really depends more on what you're actually qualified to do.

From what I understand, the employment situation for graduates in Australia is similar to what it is here (though perhaps not quite as bad). Having said that though, you'll be competing not only against Australian graduates and more experienced people who are out of work due to the recession, if you're on a working holiday visa it may make it harder to get a job as there's a time limit on when you can be there. From an employer's perspective, I think many prefer to know you'll be there a while, unless you're on a short-term contract, temping, etc.

Personally I would only look at going if it's not going to cause you financial hardship if you don't get a job - if you have enough money to support yourself while you're there and enjoy a nice holiday, then do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    Although you've said you're open to anything, it really depends more on what you're actually qualified to do.

From what I understand, the employment situation for graduates in Australia is similar to what it is here (though perhaps not quite as bad). Having said that though, you'll be competing not only against Australian graduates and more experienced people who are out of work due to the recession, if you're on a working holiday visa it may make it harder to get a job as there's a time limit on when you can be there. From an employer's perspective, I think many prefer to know you'll be there a while, unless you're on a short-term contract, temping, etc.

Personally I would only look at going if it's not going to cause you financial hardship if you don't get a job - if you have enough money to support yourself while you're there and enjoy a nice holiday, then do it.
    That's not very assuring.

I would like to get a full time job that will hopefully last me for at least 5 years. I prefer to work in the financial sector, although as I said before, I'm really open to anything.

The thing is, I can't really apply for a full time job if I'm here. I really need to be there in person. The only work permit I can think of is the working holiday visa. I could get a few part time jobs in the mean time, but my ultimate goal is to get a full time job. Am I being quixotic here?

ReputationRep:
    Should I go for Canada instead?

By the way, I've a physics degree if that makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    Working holiday visas are generally for people who go and don't care what job they get. You are very unlikely to get any sort of job that requires a degree, especially not physics. Jobs that require degrees also require large amounts of training; no-one will hire someone they have to train who'll only be around for a year. Especially true as you're a recent grad with no life (never mind work) experience.\\

Oz has weathered the recession better than most western countries, so go there if you're going anywhere, just (as someone else said) be prepared not to get a job and be able to cover yourself if you can't - remember you can't claim benefits abroad to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by o-e-s-j)
    Working holiday visas are generally for people who go and don't care what job they get. You are very unlikely to get any sort of job that requires a degree, especially not physics. Jobs that require degrees also require large amounts of training; no-one will hire someone they have to train who'll only be around for a year. Especially true as you're a recent grad with no life (never mind work) experience.\\

Oz has weathered the recession better than most western countries, so go there if you're going anywhere, just (as someone else said) be prepared not to get a job and be able to cover yourself if you can't - remember you can't claim benefits abroad to help you out.
    Thanks; I understand that bit.
    But could I not switch to other visa after a year?

I would have applied for other visas that do not require employers' sponsorship if I had a relative in Australia.

Any other possible route that I could get into Australia?

p/s: Not necessarily anything to do with Physics, but at least a job that requires a degree holder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UglyDuckling)
    Thanks; I understand that bit.
    But could I not switch to other visa after a year?

I would have applied for other visas that do not require employers' sponsorship if I had a relative in Australia.

Any other possible route that I could get into Australia?

p/s: Not necessarily anything to do with Physics, but at least a job that requires a degree holder.
    You need enough points to get an Australian visa; most of the points are based on work experience - You have none.

Almost every country in the world has a 'come on one visa, leave on that visa' policy. Everybody thinks that a good 'way in' is to get one type of visa, then try to apply for another one once they're in; governments are wise to it and don't generally tolerate it. You'll have to leave oz, then apply for a different longer term visa from the UK consulate/embassy.

I thought about trying to move abroad, but recent graduates just don't fit the criteria for most countries (you can get a long term work visa for Singapore straight from uni, but that's about it). Working holiday (and TEFL) are the only things you'll be getting, but with the economy as it is, there just was too high a chance I'd be stranded without a job or even benefits in a foreign country, so I put my plans to do it on hold.

ReputationRep:
    Oh .. Now I'm more depressed than ever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UglyDuckling)
    Oh .. Now I'm more depressed than ever!
    It's better to know now than when you get there!

You could always contact an international recruitment agency (something like Global Career Link, though I'm not 100% sure if they're in Australia) and ask them about what the situation is like for graduates going over right now - they should be able to give you some market figures and give you some advice. That might at least give you a better picture of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    You could always contact an international recruitment agency (something like Global Career Link, though I'm not 100% sure if they're in Australia) and ask them about what the situation is like for graduates going over right now - they should be able to give you some market figures and give you some advice. That might at least give you a better picture of the situation.
    Thanks. I'll have a look at it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.