The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think so. I think children are the right of everyone. Yes, there are some terrible parents out there, but what test before a child's born is going to prove that?
Nope. I think many people who may not start off being a good parent learn and soon do, it's not something that would happen overnight. Also a test doesn't give any idea for what happens in reality.

As for animal licenses, we never had to get one for our pets :lolwut:
Pfft we need a test when signing up to TSR to prevent codswallop spewing idiots such as these making threads like this
I think it's a good idea in theory, but I don't see how you could 'test' it. I mean, some girls I know that have had babies I would never have expected to be good mothers but they've surprised me, and they seem so happy! Whereas ones that are really enthusiastic and 'perfect' could be in for a big shock! You can't tell how good a parent someone will be just from a few questions.
Reply 5
no everyone has the right to be a parent...as for determining bad parents, well thats what social services are supposed to be doing...
Hamcock
Isn't it stupid that u need license for a pet but not for a child?

Since when?
Reply 7
I think it should be essential to take a couple of basic classes just to help you out and give you a heads up so people don't make silly mistakes, like that couple who accidently killed their baby by feeding it something really high in salt.

But no license.
x
Reply 8
We don't have licenses for pets in the UK :P:
No.

And you need a license for you pets? *looks at dog.*
Not a test, but I think every parent-to-be should be FORCED to sit through multiple crash courses on parenting.
Reply 11
To those saying that every parent should go on a parenting course, what would you each suggest this consists of? Surely, again, that's infringing on the rights of people to bring their child up as they please, and might go too far? Similarly, parents might choose not to listen at all.
Reply 12
Hamcock
Do think people should pass tests to be a parent because there are too many bad parents?
Isn't it stupid that u need license for a pet (in some countries) but not for a child?
sounds like having a child is not as serious as having a pet!

Yes of course, would have proven well in the case of Karen Matthews mother of Sharon Matthews.
Hamcock
Do think people should pass tests to be a parent because there are too many bad parents?
Isn't it stupid that u need license for a pet (in some countries) but not for a child?
sounds like having a child is not as serious as having a pet!

No, the problem is that most bad parents would probably pass the test and some good parents won't.
I don't think the state should be able to have direct and absolute control over the populations reproduction, paticularly when having children is so central to our humanity.
No everyone has the right to have a child. You shouldn't be able to stop them having it and then caring for it to the best of their abilities.
**** off. Test to be a parent? I think your getting the UK mixed up with Oceania.
Reply 17
The idea is totally ridiculous. I think a lot of todays problems are caused by cynicism and a lack of faith in humanity. I doubt anyone would welcome that kind of state intervention into their family life. However, we must not underestimate the importance of social services.

We already have very strict regulations with regard to adoption in the UK. I can't remember the exact percentage (perhaps someone else knows?) of orphans in the UK but it is unbelievably high, and yet we still have harsh regulations on what makes prospective adoptive parents "eligible". I think there is now a system in place where smokers and automatically banned from adopting. Is growing up with smokers for parents really worse than growing up in care?
JackDaniels^
No, the problem is that most bad parents would probably pass the test and some good parents won't.

Which reminds me, how would you control who actually has a baby or not? Accidents can happen, so would you just take the child away from it's parents when they haven't even done anything?
Reply 19
But then what happens if someone falls pregnant by accident or underage - is the child taken away? Or do they get fined for using their body just as God/Nature/Spaghetti Monster/Darwin intended? (delete as appropriate)

Latest

Trending

Trending