Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cutting as much fat out of diet as possible... Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have been advised to go on a low fat diet because I have gallstones and if I eat any high fat food I end up in serious pain in the night (trips to A&E are not fun!). Not eating any fat is obviously unhealthy so I am trying to stick to 15g a day. At the moment I am basically living off fruit, veg, rice/pasta, skinned chicken and white fish. The lack of variety is the main downside- so if anyone has any interesting ideas what I can do with the ingredients or can suggest any new low fat ingedients that would be great.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try and vary your fruit and veg as much as possible - there's a huge range available here so try anything and everything Sugarsnap peas, asparagus, pawpaw, lychees.. all fresh and good. You can also get a pretty good range of low-fat salad dressings these days, so buy a variety to keep things interesting.

Low-fat yoghurt, or light cottage cheese are good sources of protein & calcium. As a treat, you could also make smoothies with fresh fruit & skim milk/yoghurt.

Lean beef and lamb are good sources of iron too. Trim any excess fat off.

Turkey is extremely lean - so if you're bored with chicken try turkey instead.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to cut (sat) fat too - I'm eating far too many prawns! They're good though, they make a change. I'd get tired of white fish.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by star_violet)
    Try and vary your fruit and veg as much as possible - there's a huge range available here so try anything and everything Sugarsnap peas, asparagus, pawpaw, lychees.. all fresh and good. You can also get a pretty good range of low-fat salad dressings these days, so buy a variety to keep things interesting.

Low-fat yoghurt, or light cottage cheese are good sources of protein & calcium. As a treat, you could also make smoothies with fresh fruit & skim milk/yoghurt.

Lean beef and lamb are good sources of iron too. Trim any excess fat off.

Turkey is extremely lean - so if you're bored with chicken try turkey instead.
    I try to vary my fruit but sometimes my local supermaket is rubbish at having anything more than the usual apples/bananas/pears in stock. I absolutely love lychees...now you have made me hungry! Low fat yoghurt is good and low fat rice pudding is amazing- really filling. It's full on family meals that are harder to do- I can quite easily snack on fruit/veg by myself but it is a bit antisocial at times.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, man, that must be horrible.

All I can say is use copious amounts of herbs and spices with everything.

ReputationRep:
    i've cut out most fat from my diet recently, not cos i want to lose weight ..mainly cos im bored .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catzrin)
    Oh, man, that must be horrible.

All I can say is use copious amounts of herbs and spices with everything.

^ this ^:top:

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, i'd try cutting the meat out of your diet for a little while & eating vegan/vegetarian options. they're always lower in fat than meat, and when i went from being vegetarian to vegan i lost two stone not that you're trying to lose weight, but it's clear there's less fat in vegan food!

ReputationRep:
    vegetarianism
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I miss cheese and chocolate the most In a way it is much easier dieting for medical reasons because when you are on a normal 'diet' there is always someone trying to persuade to have a piece of cake or something but now they leave me to it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mix182)
    vegetarianism
    I don't really wont to rule out food groups entirely- that means even less variety! Skinless chicken and turkey are low in fat but most other meat I am avoiding.

(Original post by smilesandhairdye)
    to be honest, i'd try cutting the meat out of your diet for a little while & eating vegan/vegetarian options. they're always lower in fat than meat, and when i went from being vegetarian to vegan i lost two stone not that you're trying to lose weight, but it's clear there's less fat in vegan food!
    Do you know any nice, low fat, dishes from when you were a vegetarian/vegan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_louise)
    I have been advised to go on a low fat diet because I have gallstones and if I eat any high fat food I end up in serious pain in the night (trips to A&E are not fun!). Not eating any fat is obviously unhealthy so I am trying to stick to 15g a day. At the moment I am basically living off fruit, veg, rice/pasta, skinned chicken and white fish. The lack of variety is the main downside- so if anyone has any interesting ideas what I can do with the ingredients or can suggest any new low fat ingedients that would be great.

thanks
    It is a misconception that Beef isn't lean.

Strip Steak, Filet Mignon/Tenderloin Steak, Top Sirloin/Sirloin Steak & T-Bone Steak are all considered as 'lean cuts'.

Pork tenderloin is a lean cut of Pork that has less total fat, and only slightly higher sat fat than a skinless chicken breast.

Leg of Lamb is a lean cut of Lamb

Other lean meats are Venison, Rabbit and Pheasant and Kangaroo.

Whilst Tuna is obviously fish, it's texture is very 'meaty' and it is also lean.

Just beacause you need to cut the fat doesn't mean you have to cut out meat.

(Lean=less than 10g of total fat, 4.5g or less of saturated fat per 100 grams)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by simeon)
    It is a misconception that Beef isn't lean.

Strip Steak, Filet Mignon/Tenderloin Steak, Top Sirloin/Sirloin Steak & T-Bone Steak are all considered as 'lean cuts'.

Pork tenderloin is a lean cut of Pork that has less total fat, and only slightly higher sat fat than a skinless chicken breast.

Leg of Lamb is a lean cut of Lamb

Other lean meats are Venison, Rabbit and Pheasant and Kangaroo.

Whilst Tuna is obviously fish, it's texture is very 'meaty' and it is also lean.

Just beacause you need to cut the fat doesn't mean you have to cut out meat.

(Lean=less than 10g of total fat, 4.5g or less of saturated fat per 100 grams)
    Thank you! I would hate to cut out meat entirely so it is useful to know what I can and can't have. Not sure where I would get kangeroo though :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I would hate to cut out meat entirely so it is useful to know what I can and can't have. Not sure where I would get kangeroo though
    Walkabout pubs have Kangaroo steaks on the menu.

Thank you! I would hate to cut out meat entirely so it is useful to know what I can and can't have. Not sure where I would get kangeroo though
    Farmers markets sometimes have someone selling kangeroo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.