Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any one here doing BecoSC (attention! not BSc) at Manchester?
    I found it is a very math-related course, is it suitable if I want to work in the finance field in the future? Is it a very theoretical course?

What about BAeco? Will it be more suitable??

ReputationRep:
    my housemate does the BEconSc course - from what she said, it's a much more maths-based course. At work experience she did in the City, she said that a BEconSc degree from Manchester would be a good degree to have to get into finance.

The BEconSc course is much much smaller than the BA course (the BA course is the biggest in the uni, I think). If you can get onto the BEconSc course and you're good at maths, you should go for that if you want to work in finance.

I'd pass on any questions you have, if no-one here does it, she's treasurer of the BEconSci Society and a mentor for next year - but, she's in Delhi at the moment (yes, absolute overachiever), so it may take awhile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyn_9)
    Any one here doing BecoSC (attention! not BSc) at Manchester?
    I found it is a very math-related course, is it suitable if I want to work in the finance field in the future? Is it a very theoretical course?

What about BAeco? Will it be more suitable??
    have you applied this year (ie joining manchester in sept 2009)? i chose to apply to BAEcon and got a conditional offer, but wanting to change to BEconSc cos its much more maths based, and some ppl say that employers regard it higher, but also others have said that as long as you have a degree from a good uni, then its all the same.

But what i do know is that for BSc you'll need Maths at Alevel, preferably Further maths as well. and its prob more competitve to get into cos of the smaller number of places as the first reply has mentioned.

Also, someone else told me at another thread on TSR that it is possible to get a BSc out of BA as it depends on what modules you take. so if you just take all the maths modules available to you, then you may b able to end up with a BSc equiv. well, thats my backup plan

Do BSc and BA students picking the same modules end up at the some lectures and seminars? or do they keep the two groups apart?

PS: I always thought BSc was just a abbrev for BEconSc course at manchester. i think manchester only offers 2 econ course- BA Econ and BEconSc : http://www.socialsciences.manchester.../ug/schedules/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    my housemate does the BEconSc course - from what she said, it's a much more maths-based course. At work experience she did in the City, she said that a BEconSc degree from Manchester would be a good degree to have to get into finance.

The BEconSc course is much much smaller than the BA course (the BA course is the biggest in the uni, I think). If you can get onto the BEconSc course and you're good at maths, you should go for that if you want to work in finance.

I'd pass on any questions you have, if no-one here does it, she's treasurer of the BEconSci Society and a mentor for next year - but, she's in Delhi at the moment (yes, absolute overachiever), so it may take awhile.
    Woah, that girl seems really determined to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michy_witchy)
    have you applied this year (ie joining manchester in sept 2009)? i chose to apply to BAEcon and got a conditional offer, but wanting to change to BEconSc cos its much more maths based, and some ppl say that employers regard it higher, but also others have said that as long as you have a degree from a good uni, then its all the same.

But what i do know is that for BSc you'll need Maths at Alevel, preferably Further maths as well. and its prob more competitve to get into cos of the smaller number of places as the first reply has mentioned.

Also, someone else told me at another thread on TSR that it is possible to get a BSc out of BA as it depends on what modules you take. so if you just take all the maths modules available to you, then you may b able to end up with a BSc equiv. well, thats my backup plan

Do BSc and BA students picking the same modules end up at the some lectures and seminars? or do they keep the two groups apart?

PS: I always thought BSc was just a abbrev for BEconSc course at manchester. i think manchester only offers 2 econ course- BA Econ and BEconSc : http://www.socialsciences.manchester.../ug/schedules/
    At an open day, the lecturer said that we would be in the same lectures if the same modules are picked, but not all the time - thats why there could be a lecture full of 700 people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    Woah, that girl seems really determined to succeed.
    she's really determined to fix the entire planet, tbh. she wants to work for an NGO on graduation, not in IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    she's really determined to fix the entire planet, tbh. she wants to work for an NGO on graduation, not in IB.
    Aw thats really cool
    Maybe she has her eyes set on getting a Nobel Peace Prize lol.

ReputationRep:
    Aw thats really cool
    Maybe she has her eyes set on getting a Nobel Peace Prize lol.
    It definitely wouldn't surprise me.

I rang her from font bar once, as I was getting pissed on cocktails during the day after my exam and asked her to come join me, and she replied like, "sorry, I'm giving out christmas presents to underprivileged children." And she genuinely was, absolute do-gooder.

ReputationRep:
    what other career pospects are there for an Econ degree? apart from the obvious IB and finance etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michy_witchy)
    what other career pospects are there for an Econ degree? apart from the obvious IB and finance etc.
    lots of things..

They can work in places where a specific degree isnt needed, just like other graduates can as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    It definitely wouldn't surprise me.

I rang her from font bar once, as I was getting pissed on cocktails during the day after my exam and asked her to come join me, and she replied like, "sorry, I'm giving out christmas presents to underprivileged children." And she genuinely was, absolute do-gooder.
    :eek3:

I thought students were meant to be poor, how could she afford to pay for presents . Or was collecting donated toys and giving them as presents?

ReputationRep:
    :eek3:

I thought students were meant to be poor, how could she afford to pay for presents . Or was collecting donated toys and giving them as presents?
    We're not that poor, but, she's in the OTC (sort of like army cadets, but at university) and she was handing it out with them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.