Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a reeeeally random question and no one will know the exact answer but how much (roughly?) will someone be paying a month in tax and national insurance on a £12 000 PA salary?

I know it will depend on factors but i'm trying to work out what my take home would be each month... :confused:

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    www.listentotaxman.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    I know this is a reeeeally random question and no one will know the exact answer but how much (roughly?) will someone be paying a month in tax and national insurance on a £12 000 PA salary?

I know it will depend on factors but i'm trying to work out what my take home would be each month... :confused:

Thanks for any help.
    Isn't it 21% tax or something like that. So £210 tax per month or £2520 per year.

Don't quote me on that though! Not sure about the NI deductions.

ReputationRep:
    Arghhhhhhhhh thats only going to be about £850 a month - eeeeeek thats nothing... :/

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any help.
    Try the Income Tax calculator on Moneysavingexpert.com.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    Isn't it 21% tax or something like that. So £210 tax per month or £2520 per year.

Income tax is charged at 20% on the excess over your annual 'personal allowance' (currently £6,475) up to £37,400, then 40% above that.

Employees' National Insurance Contributions are 11% on the excess over £110 per week (£5,715 per year) up to £844 per week (£43,875 per year), then 1% above that.

So, for a £12,000 salary:
    Income tax = (12,000-6,475)*20%=£1,105
    Employees' NICS = (12,000-5,715)*11%=£691
    Net income=£10,204

But yes, www.listentotaxman.com is the best resource for questions like this.

ReputationRep:

I like that you put this rubbish up after the person before you answered the question.

ReputationRep:
    Arghhhhhhhhh thats only going to be about £850 a month - eeeeeek thats nothing... :/
    yesss.... what did you expect? Its only 1k a month before tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    yesss.... what did you expect? Its only 1k a month before tax.

I know, i know! I guess i was hoping i could escape tax.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could escape tax, could replenish my savings after furnishing my flat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR29KHS)
    I wish I could escape tax, could replenish my savings after furnishing my flat
    Should have got a furnished flat then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I like that you put this rubbish up after the person before you answered the question.
    Well I was only 1% out...as I said it was an estimate, I didn't claim it to be the correct details

ReputationRep:
    Well I was only 1% out...as I said it was an estimate, I didn't claim it to be the correct details
    More like 40% out £2520 as opposed to £1796.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Should have got a furnished flat then.
    They don't furnish flats where I live.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.