Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My 6th form college took everyone's college ID from them (if you didn't hand it in you didn't get your £40 deposit given back to you).

So i'm still waiting for results before uni.

So am I still a full time-student?

And if so, is there anything I could use as proof of being a student? UCAS letters detailing my offers maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    What's it for exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Getting student rates at cinema and football - mostly the latter!

I.e. what you show as student ID when buying tickets or paying for entry.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's got one from uni already. Not sure how he did it though.

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere that I use mine checks that it has the NUS logo on it.

Some shops such as Superdrug only take the NUS Extra card which you have to pay for which completely defeats the object in my opinion.

How they have the nerve to charge us an extra £10 to buy the card when we pay so much in tuition fees I can't even fathom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    How they have the nerve to charge us an extra £10 to buy the card when we pay so much in tuition fees I can't even fathom.
    Because the NUS has nothing to do with the universities who your tuition fees go to.
    And anyway the NUS is the worst thing that has happened to unions and i'm glad my uni isn't a member.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I would say UCAS offer letters would be the most suitable for stuff like that
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    My 6th form college took everyone's college ID from them (if you didn't hand it in you didn't get your £40 deposit given back to you).

So i'm still waiting for results before uni.

So am I still a full time-student?

And if so, is there anything I could use as proof of being a student? UCAS letters detailing my offers maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.
    I'm afraid that when the academic year ended, and your college made you hand back your ID, you ceased to be a full-time student there, and until you enrol at your chosen uni in September, you're not a student there either. There's therefore a six week or so gap when you're not officially a student anymore.

I can't imagine anywhere accepting a UCAS letter as student ID, as it only proves you've been offered a place at uni not that you're actually going; you could fail your exams or decide to defer your place. It's a pain that you won't be able to obtain a discount on any of your pre-uni shopping but I'm afraid that looks like it'll be the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michael89mtb)
    Because the NUS has nothing to do with the universities who your tuition fees go to.
    And anyway the NUS is the worst thing that has happened to unions and i'm glad my uni isn't a member.
    why do you say that for? and which uni is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michael89mtb)
    I agree the NUS are a pain, but it's annoying my uni who, despite being in the NUS, decided not to put the NUS logo on our ID card so several places refuse to believe it's student ID. Ridiculous. I'm obviously a student, as I can prove I go to uni, but some places refuse to accept this without a little logo on my card... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    why do you say that for? and which uni is that?
    they charge your union many thousands per year to be a member.
    there is not election process that involves an equal number of students of different viewpoints.
    they don't represent the views of the students, needlessly getting involved with other political issues while ignoring or going against student related issues.
    they are not neutral in their political viewpoints
    they are too commercially orientated
    they waste a huge amount of money and achieve very little.
    they are taking away from individuality within each university union.
    there are very few democratic decisions made within the nus- with many decisions made by a select few, often going against the student majority.

There should be a student body for all the uk students, but it need to take a neutral viewpoint and be more about fighting for student issues.

there was a great article about it that sums up many more reasons than that, but I cant find it - I'll add it if i do.

im from glasgow university btw. I think it it is only Glasgow, St Andrews, Imperial College London and Southampton that are not members

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.