Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boys, would you ever forgive your girlfriend in this situation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably wait a while to see if she actually likes you. My first thought when reading that was that this other guy may have broken up with her and this could be a rebound? She could just know that you'll get back together with her and see you as a safe option. But I'm just being cynical!

ReputationRep:
    No! I do not forgive that kinda mistakes! The fact she had me once and chose to be with someone else is enough to know she would swap me anytime she finds a better guy!

(Original post by Gallabay)
    tough as she didn't cheat on you per se, although the initial reason for the breakage was pretty untruthful - the bottom line is that any relationship is built on trust, if you don't have trust you don't have anything else.
    But what if the reason was truthful, that she felt stifled by how serious your relationship was despite being really young and that there was this guy that she had always wondered about and that she needed to get that out of her system to be properly happy with you. but obviously could never tell you that. So her reason for breaking up with you wasn't actually a lie.

And I'll add that you're still really in love with her but wonder whether you can trust her again.

(I'm keeping it hypothetical, even though it obviously isn't, to save complications!)

ReputationRep:
    i'd tell her to shove it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    has the op been watching skins?

thats a bit like tony, sid and michelle isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    nope. dont take her back.

ReputationRep:
    can she make a good sandwich? if so then take her back if not then kick her to the curb

Don't stick with a girl who messes you about IMHO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, hypothetically, if you had a girlfriend but you had a few trust issues, not big ones but you got jealous of other guys liking her fairly easily. There's one guy who you really have a thing about - he's confessed to being in love with your girlfriend and you're always suspicious that she likes him back, however much she reassures you they're just friends.

She eventually breaks up with you for no real reason, perhaps she just needs some timeoff, says she really likes you but feels it's too serious too young and thinks you could get back together in the future. At some point you hear that she's started seeing this guy you had a thing about, confirming all your worst suspicions.

After a while they break up and she comes back to you really upset, says she made the worst mistake of her life, that she'd gone out with him because it was something she'd always have wondered about otherwise but that being with him made her realise how much she loved you and how perfect you were together, etc. Genuinely distraught.

Could you see yourself forgiving her and taking her back?
    depends, if she broke up with him or the other way around.

you don't want to be second choice

ReputationRep:
    The plain answer is "Don't take her back and be strong" but then, it depends on how much you like her and how seriously you want to be with her. It may be better just to move on and find another girl.

It's not a good situation to be in when she thinks she can have you back just by clicking her fingers.

The obvious solution is to make her suffer a bit but that can end badly if you really want her back and it then all backfires.

I've been in a similar situation where I gave her hell for having gone with a guy during a break we had. He had spent the time criticising me and telling her how she could do much better than me (the kind of rubbish girls love to hear, it was also funny considering what an ugly and brainless ******* the guy was). Then again I was the one who asked for the break... but it was the fact she went with him only a few weeks after us breaking up that did it for me.

I ended up going back with her but it just wasn't the same and didn't seem worth it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    So, hypothetically, if you had a girlfriend but you had a few trust issues, not big ones but you got jealous of other guys liking her fairly easily. There's one guy who you really have a thing about - he's confessed to being in love with your girlfriend and you're always suspicious that she likes him back, however much she reassures you they're just friends.

She eventually breaks up with you for no real reason, perhaps she just needs some timeoff, says she really likes you but feels it's too serious too young and thinks you could get back together in the future. At some point you hear that she's started seeing this guy you had a thing about, confirming all your worst suspicions.

After a while they break up and she comes back to you really upset, says she made the worst mistake of her life, that she'd gone out with him because it was something she'd always have wondered about otherwise but that being with him made her realise how much she loved you and how perfect you were together, etc. Genuinely distraught.

i personally play by the book
    the unwritten book
    so i only go out with a girl once

ReputationRep:
    No.. you will be like a dorrmat and she will walk all over you.... maybe even jumping up and down on you occasionly.. However much you like her you have to move on

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it, she doesn't sound helpful if you have trust issues, they need to be resolved for when you find a girl that deserves you and will treat you right!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousOne)
    I might take her back. But on probation, and would make sure that if she made any more mistakes in short order then she would be out of the door. It would take a long time for me to rust her again after that.
    I like this lots.

ReputationRep:
    screw her. you can do better. if possible go and pull some1 she knows/doesnt like

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a boy but I'd say it sounds like she's just realised that the grass wasn't greener on the other side so she's come crawling back. Who's to say she won't do it again if another guy likes her in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Hell, no. But then, she wouldn't leave me in the first place.

But then, I wouldn't go out with her in the first place. Relationships are fail.

ReputationRep:

That happend to me, I forgave her and took her back and it was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done relationship wise. She broke up with me for absolutely no reason but I was sure it was because of her 'friend'. Eventually we ended up getting back somehow when she was still going out with the guy and she cheated on him with me, yet, I still forgave her and she finished the guy and we went out for a further 5 months which was followed by many arguments, little break ups and trust issues either side. Once something like that has accrued and trust has been broken, or mistrust has been proven right I honestly don't think It can ever go back to how it was so just move on.

ReputationRep:
    hell dnt let her use u like that man!!! anyways, u should trust your gf, they are old enough to know what they should or shoudnt be doin!

ReputationRep:
    In that situation...where she is really distraught I'm not so sure if i want to make her feel even worse, but I would forgive her to ease the pain
    and tell her that "I'll give you one more chance to show me your trust" . It is very difficult emotionally to accept her back because at this moment ur mind will probably click off and ur heart is boiling with anger/disappointment. You have to live with her knowing that she could break off anytime with another bloke - trust is very important in any relationship; once you lose that it is very hard to get it back.

ReputationRep:
    I would, then I'd cheat on her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.